GTL stands for Gross Tare Load, right? - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2019, 11:23 AM

First time I have ever seen anything like that.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Actually, this was part of a bigger project to empty a monthly storage unit and move stuff to a temporary shelter at my house.

First, I had to clear out and recycle some junk:

Then, I had to pick up some free pallets (gotta love Craigslist):

That was tough, as the trailer's built-in toolbox meant that I couldn't properly forward-balance the load, so my tongue weight was off and the bike got real squirrely above 30 mph or so. I just took small surface streets home...

Then I picked up some additional supporting lumber:

The 16 footers were tough to carry on an 8 foot trailer, so I left a couple pallets on the trailer to clear the toolbox and strapped the lumber as far forward as possible. Again, small surface streets to home...

Then I assembled the pallets into a base and sheeted them:

Note that the width worked fine for my 10' x 17' cover, as 3x 40" = 10 feet. But 2x 8' = 16', so I had to add a foot in-between, hence the middle cross-boards.

Then on goes the cover (gotta love Harbor Freight sales):

It's functional, but dämn ugly. And the whole thing cost less than two-months storage rental.

Eventually, it'll get replaced with a proper-built wooden shed painted to match the garage, but first I have to dig up the driveway to redo the main sewer line, then replace the driveway double-wide to get a proper base in place.

But that's a project for another day...
dobervol likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .

Last edited by Meese; 05-02-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
Actually, this was part of a bigger project to empty a monthly storage unit and move stuff to a temporary shelter at my house.

First, I had to clear out and recycle some junk:

Then, I had to pick up some free pallets (gotta love Craigslist):

That was tough, as the trailer's built-in toolbox meant that I couldn't properly forward-balance the load, so my tongue weight was off and the bike got real squirrely above 30 mph or so. I just took small surface streets home...

Then I picked up some additional supporting lumber:

The 16 footers were tough to carry on an 8 foot trailer, so I left a couple pallets on the trailer to clear the toolbox and strapped the lumber as far forward as possible. Again, small surface streets to home...

Then I assembled the pallets into a base and sheeted them:

Note that the width worked fine for my 10' x 17' cover, as 3x 40" = 10 feet. But 2x 8' = 16', so I had to add a foot in-between, hence the middle cross-boards.

Then on goes the cover (gotta love Harbor Freight sales):

It's functional, but dämn ugly. And the whole thing cost less than two-months storage rental.

Eventually, it'll get replaced with a proper-built wooden shed painted to match the garage, but first I have to dig up the driveway to redo the main sewer line, then replace the driveway double-wide to get a proper base in place.

But that's a project for another day...
Mad skills YO!

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

The shed's not quite full yet, so maybe I have to pick up some more motorcycles...

Ken IBA# 366
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
Old 05-02-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
You never change the oil in an old Triumph—you just keep refilling it...
This one, at least, is not a joke but a truth.

It was also a truth with a wrecked-but-still-runs Plymouth Horizon I once owned many years ago.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Old 05-02-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
This one, at least, is not a joke but a truth.

It was also a truth with a wrecked-but-still-runs Plymouth Horizon I once owned many years ago.
Reminds me of $$%$$ Poulan snow blower I got rid if. Never had to change oil...just kept filling it and frequently replace the cardboard it sat on. Chinese engines aren't too good.....

Reid
2012 K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 71-75 (Semper Fi)
Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 PM

Garage
But more importantly, modern Triumphs and more recently modern Indians show excellent build quality and perfect fit and finish... Their only connection to the past is for style and design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in