No Cell Coverage! - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 08-22-2019, 09:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenV View Post
Glacial Lake Missoula created most of that topography. Pretty neat story, actually.

Glacial Lake Missoula and the Ice Age Floods

Thanks; that IS a neat story.

Made me think of how our own Reelfoot Lake in northwest TN was created when the Mississippi River flowed backwards during earthquakes along the New Madrid Fault in the early 1800s.

https://www.reelfoot.com/new_madrid_earthquake.htm

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 08-23-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It is hard to imagine that most all of the hills in the Palouse, south to Dayton and Walla Walla were once covered in water. The soils in this area are all water deposited "Walla Walla Silt Loam". I can take you to road cuts where the soil is easily 100 feet deep, and some of the best farmland in the western USA.

This pic was taken on the ridge between Genesee and Julietta Idaho, with the Camas Prairie in the background on the right hand side, above the taller tree. This area is just upstream from the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake rivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0970.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	131462  
post #13 of 21 Old 09-03-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
I had no idea Washington state had any topography like that, even in the East. My wife has been to the NW part, so of course, I had the wet/evergreen thing in mind. And about half my riding is done where there's no cell signal, so I can relate. It's nice to break the tether for awhile.
I remember driving across Washington from west to east about 30 years ago and I was really amazed by the change in topography as I made my way from one side to the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More twisties in E WA and N Idaho. This is the old "Spiral Highway" at Lewiston, ID, a very steep and crooked grade out of the Snake River to the top which is the Southern end of the Palouse region.
Here's a link https://roadsnw.com/rnw/15 , but the old highway goes up 2,000 feet in 8 miles!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	132262  
Megawatt155 likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 05:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaBob View Post
More twisties in E WA and N Idaho. This is the old "Spiral Highway" at Lewiston, ID, a very steep and crooked grade out of the Snake River to the top which is the Southern end of the Palouse region.
Here's a link https://roadsnw.com/rnw/15 , but the old highway goes up 2,000 feet in 8 miles!
The bottom portion is great. The top portion is great road if and only if the temperature is below that which the tarsnakes come out of hibernation. About 1/2 way up, everyone in my group eased way up as our bikes started dancing all over the road with every tarsnake.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 07:33 PM

Yes, The Spiral Highway has some really crappy pavement. Better to ride over to Asotin and take Rattlesnake Grade south.

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT
IBA 17739
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 3 K1100s, WR250R
post #17 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 08:26 PM

Garage
Here is another road in Idaho between Grangeville and Whitebird. It has been a long time 20 yrs since I have been on this road so pavement may or may not be good
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190913-172212_Maps_1568420755683.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	132264  
post #18 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 09:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megawatt155 View Post
Here is another road in Idaho between Grangeville and Whitebird. It has been a long time 20 yrs since I have been on this road so pavement may or may not be good
Did that last month...it was in decent shape IIRC.
Megawatt155 likes this.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-14-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My recent (2 days ago) ride up and back down the Spiral Highway was uneventful. The pavement isn't new but there were no potholes nor anything that I saw that would have to be dodged. Was I at +30? Nope!

My riding style is not aggressive when I'm on pavement I'm not on every day. These are very rural roads I travel, many of them I've been on literally a hundred times, but you never know if a tractor has drug out a bunch of big clods or globs of mud, or if a rock has fallen onto the roadway. Deer, especially during hunting season, go straight up or down these hills and gravel or worse could now be on a curve that wasn't there 5 minutes ago.

That said - this is a really cool old grade that shouldn't be missed, IMHO!
Bob
post #20 of 21 Old 09-16-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Another great ride in this vicinity is the Old Winchester Grade road which takes off from US95 just east of Culdesac, ID and takes you to the town of Winchester on the Camas Prairie. If you think the Spiral Hiway is bad, this one is much worse as far as pavement condition, but the views are amazing.

Most of the guardrails are also long gone so if you elect to do 30+ on this one, it might be your last!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page