Recovery time for Total Knee replacement Surgery - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 03-17-2019, 02:35 PM

Mine, 7 weeks before I was back to work part time three days a week. Found a great surgeon and hit the rehab hard. The more it hurt the harder I worked. Had it done in September 2015 and was back on the bike April 2016. Move that sucker as far as you can directly after surgery and ice ice baby. Was off the pain killers in less than 4 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 03-17-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderharris View Post
Thanks.. appreciate your feedback...it was my right knee..so throwing my leg over the K will be more problematic I assume.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I had the same flexibility throwing the leg over as before the surgery. Its mostly in the hip instead of the knee, at least the way I do it. BTW, I stand on my left leg facing the bike and lift my leg (sometimes I have to assist by grabbing my pants at about boot level) over the seat and then slide my butt onto the seat. On my GS, I stand on the left peg and throw my right leg over. No problem with flexibility.

***Do the exercises*** I have 130 degrees of flexibility as opposed to about 100 degrees prior to surgery.
defenderharris likes this.

Cliff in Lincoln County NC
2014 K1600GTL Damask Red Metallic
2014 R1200RT (Traded up)
2008 H-D Ultra Classic (Traded for R1200 RT)
2003 H-D Heritage Softtail (Traded for Ultra Classic)
2003 H-D Sportster 1200
2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (crashed)
1975 Honda XL175 (the college days)
post #13 of 17 Old 03-17-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exHarley Rider View Post
I had the same flexibility throwing the leg over as before the surgery. Its mostly in the hip instead of the knee, at least the way I do it. BTW, I stand on my left leg facing the bike and lift my leg (sometimes I have to assist by grabbing my pants at about boot level) over the seat and then slide my butt onto the seat. On my GS, I stand on the left peg and throw my right leg over. No problem with flexibility.

***Do the exercises*** I have 130 degrees of flexibility as opposed to about 100 degrees prior to surgery.
I have 83 Flexibility..got some work to do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 03-17-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderharris View Post
I have 83 Flexibility..got some work to do

Take your pain meds before therapy. You will get more out of it. .

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #15 of 17 Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Friend of mine had both knees and and an ankle replaced late 2017. The ankle was the hardest to recover from, but the knees were relatively easy. We rode 3,000 miles last Summer and he had zero issues with the knees. Being diligent with the physical therapy was the most important step in the recovery, according to him and others I've spoken with.
defenderharris likes this.

Reid
2012 K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 71-75 (Semper Fi)
post #16 of 17 Old 03-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
Friend of mine had both knees and and an ankle replaced late 2017. The ankle was the hardest to recover from, but the knees were relatively easy. We rode 3,000 miles last Summer and he had zero issues with the knees. Being diligent with the physical therapy was the most important step in the recovery, according to him and others I've spoken with.
The best bet for a swift post surgery recovery is to be in the best possible condition before the surgery. Lose weight if you need to. Work out to the extent you can.

Steve
2015 K1600GT
2012 K1600GT (traded)
post #17 of 17 Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 AM

Garage
I was amazed when my wife needed a total hip replacement here in the UK a while back after a nasty NoF break - the Consultant was having to deal mainly with knees. The knees of people far younger than I would expect. OK, some were having a re-line of the joint, but most were total. We were told that two issues were the main feature, the over-weight/obese & runners - runners that mainly pounded the roads doing anything from 10k upwards.

Getting weight off, before the op seems a no brainer, when it makes both surgery & the likely recovery time so much easier....if only life were that easy.

Running, well it seems those who run/jog throughout their adult lives usually get a better deal from the bodies repair mechanisms. It's the more occasional exercisers, who commit to say a few Charity runs each season, who seem to suffer most.

Still, life remains a lottery, as does the result of surgical intervention on this scale - all the best to any of you either waiting, or recovering. Don't sell the bike whatever you do, it's one of the best recovery tools in the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page