Life - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 Old 05-11-2019, 08:02 AM

Garage
My long time riding buddy as always wanted a BMW. After I bought my GTL, he decided to buy one. He bought a GA this winter. In February his wife was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. She is 70 and never had a Colonoscopy. Needless to say the joy of getting his dream bike has been diminished.

If you haven't had a Colonoscopy yet, get one. The other option is a lot less fun for you and your love ones.

Sent using Tapatalk
J-Luv and Bill Ward like this.

"I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 05-11-2019, 08:46 AM

Last August I had quintuple bypasss surgery. I have been seeing a Cardiologist for many years and have been on blood pressure and cholesterol medicine for quite a few years. I had been getting severe shortness of breath when I did a quick, sudden burst of energy. It would only last a minute or two, and never any other symptoms. That started about four years before my surgery.

Eighteen months before my surgery it started getting somewhat worse and I went to my cardiologist about it...or it might have been a routine checkup that I mentioned it. He found nothing obvious with a normal check up and referred me too a lung doctor. He found nothing. At that pointed I just accepted that old age was setting in (I’m 66 now). As long as I didn’t do anything strenuous I had no symptoms.

The good thing is that I was on a routine to have a nuclear stress test every three years. In October of 2017 we scheduled the test for July 2018. They saw from the results I had a blockage. They hoped to fix it with a stent, but when he saw the first three arteries that two were 100% blocked and the third 40% they scheduled me for open heart bypass surgery a week later. They wound up doing five!

My message is this. I should have pushed the doctors two years earlier to do the nuclear test then. I do blame him to a degree, but in retrospect I take some blame myself. We know what we are feeling. The doctor is having to gauge our description of how we feel to determine what action he should take. Learn to challenge them if you are feeling things that are not right.

The good news is that the “event” was not nearly as bad as I would have expected. I vowed to go into it with a positive attitude and sense of humor. But then again, that’s just how I am. Oh, and I started doing short rides after eight weeks and long rides at ten weeks. Yes, with the doctors “permission”.
Pitts, Harleymarlboroman and J-Luv like this.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300...Prev 2013 & 2015 1600GT,
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS....2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 05-11-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
My message is this. I should have pushed the doctors two years earlier to do the nuclear test then. I do blame him to a degree, but in retrospect I take some blame myself. We know what we are feeling. The doctor is having to gauge our description of how we feel to determine what action he should take. Learn to challenge them if you are feeling things that are not right.
This.

The last year is the first in which I've spent any time talking to doctors (about me.) This is not the time to be a tough guy; this is where you learn if what you've read is fact, fiction, or something in between. But more importantly it's where you teach your doctor(s) about you. We are not all the same, and all the testing in the world is great, but without feedback, your doctor is just going on probabilities... he or she simply can't know what's unusual about you unless you tell them. You provide a significant portion of what they need to know to keep you healthy.

And, God forbid, you get the sh!tty news I did, remember that 'quality is as important as quantity'... straight stole that line from my oncologist, and ultimately fed it back to him. After 5 straight scheduled chemo sessions were backed up a week for too low of some blood count or another, I actually showed improvement. He suggested we reduce the potency of the poison to stay on the 2 week schedule. I argued that on a three week schedule I've done better than hoped for on a 2 week schedule, so why fix that which isn't broken? Closed him with "in a quality over quantity comparison, it's a no-brainer, even if it isn't ideal." He immediately agreed to the 3 week schedule at the same doses. This gets me 2 weeks of feeling pretty darn good for every bad week, instead of one. And it opens up the whole darned country from Wisconsin!

Ps. Thanks again Mr. Meese, you are too kind. Seems unlikely I'd be in your neighborhood, but the offer warms my heart nonetheless.
Meese and J-Luv like this.

Last edited by Bill Ward; 05-14-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page