Sphincter-Activated Survival System - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Meese
  • 1 Post By Meese
  • 1 Post By gooddog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sphincter-Activated Survival System

I'm always amazed at the imagination of some folks that I have met thru the years. One of the gentlemen that organized a local unaffiliated riders group in the Prescott area dabbles in many areas and has come up with a new emergency "location" aid. See below for details.
BTW, they're looking for test pilots if any are interested

S-ASS is a lifesaving system now in development by the motorcycle scientists at CarpeMoto. Heading into serious trouble? In a fraction of a second, S-ASS will trigger a pre-selected emergency system: an impact-absorbing airbag, an inflatable crash suit, deployment of a roadside marker or the broadcast of an emergency signal. A rocket-propelled ejection seat is currently being evaluated in CarpeMoto’s secret test facilities (note: we’re actively hiring entry-level test technicians).

Origin Riding a few years ago with a bunch of buddies widely spread along a steep section of the Continental Divide Trail, I contemplated what would happen if one of us were to go over the edge. The group might travel ten miles or more before noticing that somebody was missing. I then imagined our difficulty locating our lost compadre in growing consternation and approaching darkness. So, over a beer that night in Helena, Montana, I conceived S-ASS, a bio-technology solution that can instantly trigger deployment of a flag, flare or dye marker along the trail to indicate that somebody had gotten into deep doo doo.

Innovative Trigger Key to S-ASS performance is its patent-pending, sphincter-activated trigger. Faster than conscious thought, nature’s immediate biological response is detected by a sensitive S-ASS sensor. Its signal is relayed wirelessly to activate a pre-selected emergency device. S-ASS will provide a breakthrough in riding safety and confidence.

Credits: https://www.carpemoto.com/shop/r1200...-system-s-ass/

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
2001 Harley T-Sport (crashed @ Tortilla Flats)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 06:36 PM

If it wasn't June 11th, I'd be thinking April fools!

Love of all things with wheels and a motor
18' Z900RS
18' K1600B
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 PM

You joke, but I was riding through some northern California back roads in a group of six, and when we pulled over at an intersection we noticed that the #4 rider wasn't there. Now we were on tiny national forest roads, paved roughly but barely a single-lane wide, and there was literally no way anyone could've passed him without noticing. There were no other side roads, and no place to have pulled over without being seen.

Confused, we retraced our steps, and found the rider standing on the road, helmet off and bike nowhere to be seen.

He then pointed off the side of the road, and we saw his K1200LT sitting about 15 feet down a slight slope, in a pile of brush. Fortunately, the rider wasn't hurt, and it took all six of us to haul that bike back up the slope and back onto the road.

That was a weird one, to be sure...
PLAGUE likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; 06-11-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
You joke,... and we saw his K1200LT sitting about 15 feet down a slight slope, in a pile of brush..
I joke nervously in reality. I once test rode a ST1300 a couple of years back and asking why the owner was selling, he replied: Well, I left my Harley in the top of a pine tree in Alaska on a mountainside earlier this year and decided it was time to quit. He stated the same condition, no one would have found him. There was no trace of his leaving the road's edge.
Makes you think...

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 09:15 PM

That's why I like my Spot Messenger, and why my wife pretty much insists on it for long rides...
charlie3133 likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
That's why I like my Spot Messenger, .
Can't argue with you. I've used the Bubble app and Spotwalla for quite a while. Keeps the wifey happy.

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 11:30 PM

Garage
I bought an InReach Mini for this very reason... was riding a remote stretch of the Coronado trail last year and a companion went flying off the road.

We could have been many miles down the road with no clue where he was if my gf hadn't seen a flash of white out of the corner of her eye (his helmet).

Luckily it all ended well, but the incident forced us to seriously re-think safety and tracking protocols for rides—a Spot Messenger or Garmin InReach is now required equipment.

No other way to be found—not to mention if you're unconscious or disappear in a remote stretch of road.

2016 GTLE
Clearwater Ericas, Darlas, Billy brake lights/Ilium Engine and Rear guards/Ilium Highway pegs
Kontour Magnum Seat/Utopia backrest/Neutrino Black Box/TPX Radar Detector/Removable Passenger Armrests/Mo-Door garage opener/Screaming Banshee Horn/Helite Turtle Airbag Vest

post #8 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 07:24 AM

Garage
I am a big fan of tech like this; read any of my postings where I cover it ad nauseum. I took on a project to build a similar system from off-the-shelf components, which is when I found I couldn't build a system for less than buying one, and the cost of the infrastructure is huge.

The big pushback I got is that most wouldn't use such a system for fear that the government knows where you are. New flash: if you have a phone or a car built in the last ten years, the government can know where you are regardless. And, you are likely not that interesting.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 AM

Garage
@gooddog ..Clay, I'm not interested in being a tester, but I would ride out watch you set it off....

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

15 GTL (looking for a new home)
16 R1200 GSA
17 CVO Limited
18 GTL
post #10 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
@gooddog ..Clay, I'm not interested in being a tester, but I would ride out watch you set it off....
@rsmith As long as I'm riding ahead of you!
rsmith likes this.

Clay
2012 GTL
2003 LT
2001 Harley T-Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page