2019 Iron Butt Rally Megathread - Page 16 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 158 Old 07-02-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

You need to do two things to finish an Iron Butt Rally:

1) Collect points

2) Don’t be late to a checkpoint or the finish

That’s really it.

To finish well, add this:

3) Collect a lot of points

Routes, miles, states, provinces, time zones—those things matter while the wheels are moving.

But once you sit down to score, points are the only measure that matters.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 07-02-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

I’m looking forward to seeing the full Rally pack, and I’ll probably spend several hours playing with routes and points and possibilities.

Honestly, I’m not sure what choices I would’ve made if I had run this year. I knew Tuktoyaktuk would be a bonus this year, as the recent opening of the summer road was just too tempting. But it was risky, to be sure, an old-school do-or-die ride with no backup plan. As past IBR winner George Barnes once told me, “You have to make tough choices, and be willing to risk a DNF in order to win.”

Even “just” riding up to Homer was a hëll of a run, as several riders proved. That last night running back to Greenville definitely taxed those riders, and the delicate balance of sleep/miles/clock did cost them some penalty points. As experienced riders know, safety comes first, even when pushing hard for a win.

But I also knew that Jeff wouldn’t leave just one possible winning path. He’s far too experienced and calculating for that. And he’s well aware of the nature of the Game, setting up Rallies where the big dogs can push their limits with epic rides, while still allowing newer riders to push their own limits to their own best scores.

And Wendy chose a brilliant path, starting in Kennewick at “checkpoint 2”, picking up some valuable combo bonuses near the Great Lakes, cranking out the miles to the Gaspé Peninsula, and getting home safely and on time. So strafing the US/Canada border from end-to-end turned out to be the smarter choice, allowing for a significant points lead while also riding the second-highest miles in the Rally.

Dämn impressive...
charlie3133, J-Luv and DJW like this.

Ken IBA# 366
post #153 of 158 Old 07-02-2019, 01:41 PM

Garage
Ken,
I have to ask...even though it will likely never happen...what does a newcomer have to do to qualify to apply for the IBR? I mean, just to put you name in the hopper and hope to be drawn, what rallies or other criteria need to be met?
Or another way of asking, how would someone interested in considering the challenge go about getting the experience needed to even be capable of attempting a finish in the IBR? What are your recommendations?
Thanks,
j

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); ‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); ‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 158 Old 07-02-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
Ken,
I have to ask...even though it will likely never happen...what does a newcomer have to do to qualify to apply for the IBR? I mean, just to put you name in the hopper and hope to be drawn, what rallies or other criteria need to be met?
Or another way of asking, how would someone interested in considering the challenge go about getting the experience needed to even be capable of attempting a finish in the IBR? What are your recommendations?
Thanks,
j
At one time they would only consider riders with 24 hour and/or multi-day rally experience.
It would be helpful if you were a known hi-miler too. But they may have eased up on that.

There is a 5-Day 5,000 mile rally coming up and many consider that a qualifier of sorts for the Big Dance: https://buttlitexregistration.com/
But I think they have similar requirements as far as experience goes.

Don't think that just because someone rode 500 miles out and back to say they rode and Iron Butt to get the plate, that that would make any difference

In the early days, Kneebone would make personal calls to solicit the IBR. But I think they're way past that now and participation is more or less by invitation with preference going to previous competitors.

These rides 'aint for the faint of heart.

Joe
J-Luv likes this.

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
post #155 of 158 Old 07-02-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Joe has given good info here.

Officially, you put your entry in to a drawing. There can be a few hundred or up to a thousand riders who enter the draw, and roughly 100 are chosen.

They try to have a mix of veteran IBR finishers, newbie riders, and a handful of those who have tried and failed to complete a previous IBR (unfinished business). They also like to encourage female riders and two-up teams.

Unofficially, if they don't know who you are at all, then there's a big unknown next to your name. Riders who have completed one or more IBA certificate rides, or who have entered one or more shorter rallies tend to be known, and therefore have a higher chance of knowing what they're getting themselves in to (although that can vary quite a bit).

Some local LD Rallies may offer an IBR slot to podium finishers. Occasionally, they might offer a fully-paid IBR entry to the winner. The Butt Lite Rally has done this in the past, which made losing all my bonus paperwork on leg 1 particularly painful, as it dropped me from 1st to 2nd place. That was a $2,000 mistake...

So my recommendations are to just ride a whole lotta miles, collect some certificates, and enter some local rallies. Follow the advice given here, and just keep on riding until knocking out a thousand miles or more is almost boringly easy. You really need to prove to yourself that you can do it, before you try to convince others.

Or you can do what I did, which is to fail to make the draw, be bummed, but pretend like you made it and keep on prepping and riding the bike as if you were in. Then go on to win four local Rallies in a row, and wait for the phone call to offer you a slot...
J-Luv likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
post #156 of 158 Old 07-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Garage
Thanks for the info. I've only documented two IBA rides, SS-1000 and BBG-1500. But I've done a couple other 1000 mile days without documentation. It was just for the fun of it. On the stock seat even. Local/regional rallies I will have to investigate. Thanks again, both of you!
BMWGuy likes this.

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); ‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); ‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)

Last edited by J-Luv; 07-02-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #157 of 158 Old 07-02-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

LD Rallies are fun, because you get to do big miles while solving a great puzzle.

So your brain stays engaged the whole time.

Most local Rallies are 24 hours, but some are as short as 8-12 hours, some are 32-26 hours, and some are 3-5 days.

So much fun...
J-Luv likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
post #158 of 158 Old 07-11-2019, 11:55 PM

Did I miss the wrap up epilogue?

Joe

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page