Retirement, FJR updates - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 07-02-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Sounds like you have too many bathrooms.....

I knew you would enjoy retirement once you actually got around to it.
Yes, we do. One of the benefits to living in Houston. Housing can be very affordable.

I always knew I would be good at it. 1). My job never defined me. 2). I love projects around the house. 3). I've always had hobbies I'm passionate about. I get up at 5:00 and can't wait to get my day started.
maybeinoregon and bmac like this.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300...Prev 2013 & 2015 1600GT,
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS....2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 07-02-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post

And entirely unrelated to my Yammy commercial: A Connie only gets 29-31-ish gas mileage? Whoa.

Yes. I was doing 40-mile commutes for 4 years and that was about what I was getting. The ride in was often the high point of my day, as it began with 10 miles of quite enjoyable and mostly empty two-lane. Then the expressways and running them in the high-70s. The few times I did the math on mileage, partly wondering if I was imagining the number of fuel stops I was doing per week, it came out in the very low 30s and occasionally high 20s.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 PM

Garage
Jim,
Congrats on the retirement, sounds like it's treating you well!
jjscsix likes this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 Old 07-02-2019, 11:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Many of you on this forum are people I considered friends over the six years of owning two 1600s and a combined 60,000 miles on them.

Almost exactly six months ago I retired, and the next day I traded my 1600 for a new, leftover 2017 FJR. Some of you may recall that I had owned a 2006 FJR several years back. I always loved that bike.

So what have I been doing the past six months? Well, I installed six new bathroom faucets and replaced all twelve shutoff valves, and I painted our kitchen cabinets white....oh...what you really want to know....I've put a combined 18,000 miles on my three bikes. I already have over 10,000 on the FJR, 3,800 of that on a Smoky Mountain Trip. Other than that I ride just about every day it does not rain.

And 100% of my riding is just for fun. I never ride for practical reasons. I have a pretty nice car that I have put only 2,300 miles on since then. I waxed it a couple of weeks ago just to show it some love

I guess it's safe to say that I LOVE retirement. The hours are great, but the pay sucks. Let's hope I don't run out of gas money.
Congrats on the retirement. I am 5-6 months from that point myself. I will be looking forward to that time too.
jjscsix likes this.

Steve
post #15 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 02:05 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
i test drove a 2019 FJR

The steering was horriable for me so heavy.... unless i was doing something wrong idk

1981 Honda 300CM, 2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Yamaha R6S,2011 BMW S1000RR
2019 K1600 Grand America and 2019 Yamaha R3ABS
Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle
post #16 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 AM

Garage
Can't wait to retire...you make it sound as enjoyable as I imagine.

I'm a big Connie fan...had one in '11. My big problem with it was lack of cruise control. Kawasaki still has not added cruise control to that bike. Shame too as I think they'd sell a lot more units if they did. Maybe someday...

FJR has cruise of course.

Houston, Texas
Formerly 2018 K1600 Grand America
post #17 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 08:44 AM

Garage
Welcome to Retirement. I say retirement has ruined me for any meaningful work; unless someone is willing to pay me to get up when I want, work until I feel like stopping and only do those things I think are important. Oh, and a regular nap in the afternoon. Anyone hiring???

Glad you are enjoying it. Like you I am trying to ride between all the rain and heat advisories. We need to get together to swap stories. I'd like to hear about your smokies ride.
jjscsix and PLAGUE like this.

Joe

2014 GTL Exclusive, 2018 Goldwing DCT, 2017 KTM 1290 SDGT, 2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Dakar, 2004 Goldwing
post #18 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1325 View Post
i test drove a 2019 FJR

The steering was horriable for me so heavy.... unless i was doing something wrong idk
The. bike is very sensitive to tire wear and pressures. It sounds like it was a new bike so that would rule out wear. Also, the bike has unusually narrow handlebars for a bike of its type. That could have made it feel heavy to you. I don’t notice it anymore, and I have a combined 55,000 miles on FJRs, so I’m use to it. The ergos are great for me, but I will say that the bike may not have good ergos for someone of large stature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
Welcome to Retirement. I say retirement has ruined me for any meaningful work; unless someone is willing to pay me to get up when I want, work until I feel like stopping and only do those things I think are important. Oh, and a regular nap in the afternoon. Anyone hiring???

Glad you are enjoying it. Like you I am trying to ride between all the rain and heat advisories. We need to get together to swap stories. I'd like to hear about your smokies ride.
Joe, we do need to get together. I’ve mastered the HOV lane during the week so I’m okay going north. Maybe next week will be a dryer week. I’m riding early this morning to beat the rain. I left at 6:00 and am in Richmond now. Heading home as soon as my Starbucks cup runs dry.

BTW, Barry just got back from a ten day trip in the Pyrenees Mountains. He can tell you about that trip to. He said the riding there was fantastic.
jfink likes this.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300...Prev 2013 & 2015 1600GT,
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS....2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 07-03-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
...Joe, we do need to get together. Iíve mastered the HOV lane during the week so Iím okay going north. Maybe next week will be a dryer week. Iím riding early this morning to beat the rain. I left at 6:00 and am in Richmond now. Heading home as soon as my Starbucks cup runs dry.

BTW, Barry just got back from a ten day trip in the Pyrenees Mountains. He can tell you about that trip to. He said the riding there was fantastic.
Sounds great! I can also tell Barry about our trip through the Pyrenees, it wasn't good. In fact, Chuck said it was the worst riding in his entire life. May be that had something to do with Hurricane Miguel?

Joe

2014 GTL Exclusive, 2018 Goldwing DCT, 2017 KTM 1290 SDGT, 2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Dakar, 2004 Goldwing
post #20 of 21 Old 07-03-2019, 10:44 AM

Glad to hear that retirement is agreeing with you and that you're healthy. I hear news just about every day of someone dying that is younger or just a few years older than me so my goal is to leap out of bed early every day and treat it like one of my last. Leave nothing undone or unsaid. I'm not bashful about telling dear ones how much I love them or friends how much I value them in my life; and on the flip side I have a much lower tolerance for fools and bad people in my life unless I think I can be a positive influence on them.

When I proposed to ride the Colorado BDR and the Continental Divide Ride this year to my 3 annual ride buddies, I heard a lot of complaints about the logistical problems. Do we ride there and back? Do we ship our bikes? Do we haul our bikes? Do we rent bikes there? Pretty soon it became suggestions to do something different. My one argument for the ride that was persuasive was that at 60 years old, how many more years do you think this ride will be possible for us? We're all healthy, fit guys so the question was met, at first, with dismissal and then I reminded them of why the 3 of us commit to ride together every year - tomorrow is not assured to any of us. Three of the four of us have health conditions that will eventually have a "use by" date for us and for one of us, he won't know that date until it's today. So we're all going to Durango in September to rent KTM 690 Enduros and ride up and down the spine of the Rockies.

I told them when the subject comes up for next years ride, have your passport current and plan to be retired or able to take a month away from home.

Jim, really glad to hear you are in the zone. You seem a lot like me in that I don't understand how I ever had time to work a paying job.

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for all of it...but slower)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page