RIP Cedric Benson - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By justcharlie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-18-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

RIP Cedric Benson

As a motorcyclist, long time Austin resident, and football fan it is with sadness that I learned of the death of Cedric Benson - taken too young.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ident-n1043751
dobervol likes this.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights

Last edited by justcharlie; 08-18-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 PM

Sounds like a crappy intersection may have contributed:

Quote:
“Coming down the hill, it’s a blind valley,” said Duncan Cameron. “You’ve got maybe a couple of seconds before you’ll see someone coming all the way across. It’s just by luck that you don’t hit something.”
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...c-benson-died/

RIP.

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT
IBA 17739
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 3 K1100s, WR250R
post #3 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 07:29 AM

Looks like a very nasty section of road, combined with distracted drivers flying over the hill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 08:48 AM

Garage
Yeah, saw the reports yesterday. Tragic and sad for his family and friends. I saw a pic of his bike from earlier in the evening. Not sure which model, but thought it was some version of K.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #5 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

It's a bad spot. Evidently Cedric Benson was riding (I think either a BMW S1000RR or maybe an HP4) with a passenger on 2222 (the through road) and the minivan was coming out from street that Ts into 2222 and trying to turn left onto 2222. The preliminary reports I've seen say that speed and visibility were probably factors, so it might have been the speed of the motorcycle and it coming around a curve from where the driver of the minivan couldn't see it before pulling out and the motorcyclist couldn't see the minivan beyond his vanishing point. The motorcycle on 2222 would have had the right of way. Tragic scenario that is too common.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #6 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
It doesn't really matter on which bike he died, but I thought it perhaps a K1300S, but I'm just not sure. Peace to his loved ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cedric-benson-bmw.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	131330  

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #7 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
Rippling waves of goose-pimples over my body.
So sad. So tragic for any of us.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
I believe he was on a GSA. He had several pics posted on his other social media.

Mark
SCPO USN (ret)
2017 GSA
post #9 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
I believe he was on a GSA. He had several pics posted on his other social media.
Who knows how accurate these are, and it doesn't really matter what type bike it was, but here's a link to a news story that shows what he supposedly posted on his social media just a few hours before the accident. Some sort of super sport bike.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/18/cedri...orcycle-crash/

'18 GTL ebony metallic
post #10 of 10 Old 08-19-2019, 05:47 PM

Garage
It's a K1300S HP Sport special edition that he posted up on social media, whether that's the bike he was on or not. I'm familiar. They're awesome bikes, and widely available for a really good price, because as cool as they look with the motosport paint scheme, and all the HP parts, the engine and transmission is the same, but the suspension is sportier/stiffer and the pegs are rearsets, so a lot of folks get 'em and don't ride 'em. That bike had aftermarket carbon panels added to it, though, so don't know if it had been down before, or if it was his bike, if he just liked carbon.

It makes me livid that some idiots/d-bags on social media last night had jumped on either: "See, it was one of them thar Bee-em-dubahyoos whut got him killed." OR "Only rich a-holes who think they're better than me ride BMWs, so I don't care if he's dead." They were very much the minority and were quickly taken to task, but some people in this world are just horrible human beings. I got in an argument with one doofus who basically argued that since he had run across a few jerk motorcyclists, it should just be legal for car drivers to kill us all.

Plenty of fault to go around here, but the thing that gets me most is the blind intersection. If a person who lives nearby tells guests to turn right and go down the street and then turn back around, rather than turn left, it's a problem and everybody knows it.

Let's hope his death can at least play a role in stopping future death or injury at that location.

I liked Benson when he played for Texas, then hated him on the field when he played for the Jets, but he was just a brother motorcyclist who deserved a much better fate at the end. RIP.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page