CBX Thread - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
CBX Thread

J-Luv and I were PM'ing about my avatar, which is (was) my '82 CBX that was destroyed in the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans. It was such a sweet bike; but this isn't to sob and moan, but more to celebrate and give it its just desserts!

Here's the Cliff's Notes version:

I dearly loved it... only had 14k mi. on it when fate stepped in; had it about a year when the waters came. The original owner had put a very nice Kerker pipe on it when new, and preserved the original pipes perfectly. So when the waters receded, the only part of the bike really worth anything was the 23-y.o. factory pipes which were as new -- and safely stowed in my attic.

Anyway, I listed the whole shooting match on eBay, and a guy from AL whose business went by the name "Bama Bikes" came down with his trailer and hauled the whole dripping thing away for parts.

I see someone on this forum has an '81 CBX in his garage/signature. In all honestly, I like the gray '81s better than the cream '82s. But mine was so nice I didn't pay all that much attention to the color.

Anybody else have a CBX story? Maybe they've been shared here before....

Once these tears have been shed, I might post pic's of the '72 Buick GS455 I was doing a body-off restoration on, also in my garage in 2005. But it's all water under the bridge now (pun intended?). I had owned that one since 1978.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1785.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	132208   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1786.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	132210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1787.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	132212  
Vandaldog, Darbinco, J-Luv and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Qualpubs; 09-10-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Beautiful bike. Thanks for sharing.

Zach
post #3 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
Yes, she was a beauty! Like I mentioned on the PM, I was riding dirt bikes and reading CycleWorld magazines when I was a teenager and dreaming of my first bike when the CBXs came out carving curves on the cover. They caused quite the stir of emotions back then and looking at these pics, still do. I ended up on my beloved 1100F and then Honda started with the V-4s the next year. Kind of the end of an air-cooled era. So I love the images of the Honda Fours because they were the bikes that filled my head as I was on a 2-stroke CR-125. 750s, 900s, but I wanted something to rival the Z-1s and GPz's. I'm kinda glad I'm not turning 18 now. I don't know that I would survive the R1s, and 1000RRs. And heaven forbid if I would have ended up on some Gixxer! I'm truly sorry for your loss. Katrina was devastating to so many people. I hope the new 6 cyl moto goes a long way in a new love affair. Maybe these are the end days of normally aspirated big bore motors. They may just offer too much freedom to the individuals for the wanna be bureaucrats. If I make it to "old-age" I may reminisce about the late 2000-teens and the glorious bikes offered by manufactures that are relics to most at that time.
Vandaldog likes this.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 03:14 PM

My Dad had a 1969 Honda CB 750 Four in the garage when i was a kid. It was done up like a flat tracker. He had tore it down in his early 20's and never got it fully back together. It was a roller that was missing exhaust and carbs etc. It had that beautiful gold colored tank. I used to love sitting on it while he worked on something in the garage. He sold it about 10 or so years ago. The guy immediately tore the motor out of it and put in in a chopper frame he had been working on. It's still running around somewhere in Oregon.

Zach
J-Luv likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
James, I was subscribing to Cycle World in late '78 or '79 when that issue with the CBX in the middle of the sweeper on the cover came out, and I, too, was smitten. Even though that original one didn't have the swingarm, bags, or fairing, I think it was the best looking one of all. The way the engine just hung outside the frame was irresistible. In fact, everybody's got favorites, and I think that bike and the 750 & 850 Norton Commando's are the best looking bikes ever made.

Your perspective is interesting... you could be right. In 1969 I went with my Dad car-shopping at Clearview Dodge in Metairie, LA. (Dad was shopping -- not me!) They had a new hemi Charger Daytona sitting on the showroom floor, and of course, I 'bout swooned. I remember the salesman telling us the deal that could be had on it -- it had been sitting there for almost a year. Nobody wanted the thing! Now I guess it's worth a quarter-mil or so: How times change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
Yes, she was a beauty! Like I mentioned on the PM, I was riding dirt bikes and reading CycleWorld magazines when I was a teenager and dreaming of my first bike when the CBXs came out carving curves on the cover. They caused quite the stir of emotions back then and looking at these pics, still do.
J-Luv likes this.

post #6 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Zach, too bad the guy put your Dad's motor in a chopper, but at least part of it hasn't given up the ghost yet, so to speak.
Speaking of early 750s, this image below had a real emotional effect on me when I was a kid around '70. It was the cover of the Honda CB750 brochure, and the U.S. Honda market-eers hit the ball out of the park, as far as I'm concerned. What a fantasy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxroundel View Post
My Dad had a 1969 Honda CB 750 Four in the garage when i was a kid. It was done up like a flat tracker. He had tore it down in his early 20's and never got it fully back together. It was a roller that was missing exhaust and carbs etc. It had that beautiful gold colored tank. I used to love sitting on it while he worked on something in the garage. He sold it about 10 or so years ago. The guy immediately tore the motor out of it and put in in a chopper frame he had been working on. It's still running around somewhere in Oregon.

Zach
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dominate_the_Road.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	132214  
J-Luv likes this.

Last edited by Qualpubs; 09-10-2019 at 03:41 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 03:58 PM

Garage
I have 1979 CBX and 1976 K6
J-Luv and Qualpubs like this.
post #8 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Garage
I remember, since we are telling stories, my dad came home in 1968 with a BRAND NEW 427 Shelby Cobra. The Ford dealer in Bedford Ohio had 3 of them and begged my dad to take one. (He was a well known mechanic among racers at the time). He drove us around for the weekend and took it back because it was "too loud". Talk about shouda woulda coulda!!
Rick

PS sorry I did not mean to hijack the thread, I have ALWAYS loved the CBX''s
J-Luv, 1dragon and Qualpubs like this.

2016 BMW K1600 GTL-E

"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid" David St. Hubbins
post #9 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 05:31 PM

Garage
OK, I spent 5 mins searching the interwebs for an image. After a few years dreaming of the CBX, and likely intimidated by the width of the beast, I found my first bike. It was on Cycle Guide, January '83 edition, and the cover sub-title said GPz Killer. I had to have it. The bike not the magazine. Although I bought it and cut the pictures out, put them on poster board, and then the wall. Probably next to a Zeppelin or Judas Priest poster. Hey I was '17. And had a 32 hour per week job and enough credit for a $3300 loan (The bike listed at $3600; $101/month for 36 months. Insurance was $105/month.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cycle guide cover.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	132216  
Qualpubs likes this.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
post #10 of 26 Old 09-10-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
This was my intro to the CBX. The earth trembled under my feet with thoughts of 6 cylinders between my knees.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CBX cycle world cover.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	132222  
Qualpubs likes this.

James

IBA # 63673
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page