Smitten over R1250GS - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 09-25-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Smitten over R1250GS

To make a long story short, I purchased a K1600B not long ago thinking that my riding buddy and I where ready to start riding touring bikes. He then purchases a new 1250 GSA right before we take off on a trip to ride the Rockies. We swapped bikes one afternoon and I was thoroughly impressed with the GSA, motor, handling, weight, easy to ride. Anyway, after riding his bike I realized how much more I enjoyed the GSA over the B. I'm having regrets of purchasing the B and wishing I had a GS.

Don't get me wrong I really like the B but i'm not sure i'm as ready for it as I thought and I would like to do some off road onto some Forrest access roads and such. I owned an R1200RS and liked it but never really fell for he boxer motor. The new 1250 though is so much smoother operating at all rpm and is a peach, particularly in the GS.

Luckily I picked up the B used and at a very fair price, so now I'm literally thinking of trading it on a 1250GS, not sure I'll go with a GSA. Any input from those that own both or had owned a GS and now ride a K1600?

I'm trying to talk myself off of the ledge, but I just can't stop thinking about how wonderful the GSA was in the twisties and how much fun it would have been to go off road with my buddy when he went exploring.

Love of all things with wheels and a motor
18' Z900RS
18' K1600B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-25-2019, 09:56 AM

Garage
Personal opinion here.

For us mere mortals... The GS/A bikes are too big and heavy for anything but graveled forest service roads. If your off road exploring is going to be more single track and jeep trails, your going to want a bike that weighs half what a GS/A does.

My two happiest days with my GSA was the day I bought it and the day I traded it in for an S1000XR. Which BTW is also a bike that with the right tires could also be used for those same forest service roads.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #3 of 37 Old 09-25-2019, 10:28 AM

Garage
The GS/A isn't the best selling bike in that class for no reason. If you enjoy riding 1 up and having the ability to go on fire roads, two tracks etc and stay off road more than on road, the GS/A might be the bike for you. There's no comparing the K16 bikes with the GS/A bikes, two completely separate missions and they don't ever intersect.
If you think that bike is for you, go trade for one.
dobervol and PLAGUE like this.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 09-25-2019, 11:23 AM

I agree with @Darbinco on the XR. IF I decided I wanted to ride forest service roads (lots of them here) etc, Iíd get an XR. I like the buzz/sound/feel of a four over the tractor motor. If you like the boxer, then go for it, they sell a lot of GS here. Itís just not my cup of tea.

Full disclosure: I own a 1000R, so Iím biased.
Darbinco likes this.
post #5 of 37 Old 09-25-2019, 02:07 PM

Garage
@OKBMW , Iím not shocked the GSA handled well for you on road. If the Bís not really for you, no need to hold onto it. VERY different bike.

The GSA rides better ON road than the base GS, IMO. And while the 1200 DID feel like a tractor motor to me (and a tractor with too much vibration, at that), the 1250 is a revelation in power and smoothness, as you state. If you prefer the touring look and just like the lighter weight and want something more nimble, at least ride the R1250RT. We just bought one for my wife. Itís often forgotten, but if you like the 1250 engine, itís a near-sportbike nimble, easy-handling, lighter-weight touring option.

@Darbinco and @maybeinoregon are right about the XR being gravel (or dry and well-maintained dirt road) capable, though. Much longer suspension travel than I expected; like a jacked-up 1000RR with upright ergos. By 2021, Iíve now decided Iíll replace my Yam with either the XR or GSA as a second bike, so even if XR/GSA SOUNDS like an odd cross-shop, it isnít on some levels. I wouldnít want to ride the GSA anywhere I wouldnít ride the XR with the right tires, unless I had to. I know itís capable in the hands of an expert, but itís way too big to act like a dual-sport or dirt bike for an average rider.

Give the XR a test ride at least, and know if your fanny is anywhere near my size, you can get rid of the sportbike seat on the XR, and have several options for replacement. You can also get rid of the stickers on the XR, if they look a bit boy-racer to you. Iím 52 next week, and every single guy Iíve seen on an XR has been older than me, so that has to tell you something good about the bike. I never would have test-ridden it if not for the guys here, and that I met at dealers while they were waiting for service, and the MOA (maybe Darryl will chime in), and itís an awesome machine.

GSA will pack mule a little more, has longer fuel range, more TQ down low, and for some tasks, will be easier to work on yourself. GSA will also be much cheaper on insurance, most likely. Most insurers treat the XR the same as a liter sportbike, and the engine IS just that. More right-hand self-control is required with the XR.

Iím no expert on either, obviously, since I donít one either, but posted only because Iíve at least ridden the bikes, and have done the research and decision-making process on both, as I like to plan out purchases far in advance, and hopefully, at least some of the stuff I thought was relevant will help you out. Best of luck on whatever you decide, and be sure to post and tell us what you did!
maybeinoregon likes this.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #6 of 37 Old 09-25-2019, 03:16 PM

Garage
Have you tried an R1250RS SE yet - maybe the best of both worlds?

J-Luv likes this.
post #7 of 37 Old 09-25-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I should have given a bit more back ground on myself. I owned a 2015 R1200RS and it was a phenomenal bike, just did not like the boxer motor in that specific bike (actually think the S1000R motor in the RS would be a great combo). That's why I'm able to compare the 1200 to the 1250 motor, the 1250 is no longer "tractor" like in feel and sound. I have rode a GS in the past, test rode one prior to purchasing the R1200RS, and it was nice but to industrial feeling a the time. I would consider the new RS but I have back issues (at the ripe ole age of 54) and I prefer to be more upright these days. One reason I purchased the B, thought it would be more comfortable for me (not so much). I have also owned a 2016 S1000R so i'm very familiar with the XR1000 motor, loved that bike but can only maintain so many in the garage. So when I rode my buddies GSA I thought wow! this is so smooth and refined all the way around compared to the 2015 GS I rode. So the boxer thing, it did not feel or sound right in the RS, but the 1250 definitely feels and sounds right in the GSA. I was leaning towards the XR but the reality of it is that the GS is a better off road bike and that's part of what I want to explore in life at this time in my life. I am a dirt bike rider (KDX200 in the garage) so I am familiar with the nuances of riding in the dirt.

I guess I was looking from someone who has owned some different bikes in the past and now owns a GS or GSA to share their thoughts on how well it works as an all around bike, commuting, touring, twisties and some occasional off-road. I've reduce the amount of bikes in the garage and am looking to consolidate, so to speak.

I believe the GS or GSA will fit the bill, going to test ride a GS I was eye-balling at the dealer Saturday and my buddy with his GSA is coming along so I can switch bikes with him and do a direct comparison.
maybeinoregon likes this.

Love of all things with wheels and a motor
18' Z900RS
18' K1600B
post #8 of 37 Old 09-25-2019, 11:47 PM

Garage
I own them Both the K1600GTLe and the R1200GSA the GSA is a great Bike comfortable and fun to ride.

If I had to choose one based on my riding style it would be the GSA but with that said if I was riding several hundred miles it would not be on a GSA. The K1600 is far superior on the highway and at speed.

My 2 cents u need them both.
Radian, J-Luv and OKBMW like this.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #9 of 37 Old 09-26-2019, 02:10 PM

Have the GTL and recently test-rode the GSA1250 and like you, was blown away. Helluva motor! Smooth and sweet power just where you want it.

Can't (for the moment) afford both, but it also depends on where and how you travel. The GTL will eat up miles quickly and easily on paved roads and the superslab. But if you want to do that and also explore some gravel or dirt roads, then you need the GSA.

Where I live, Ohio, there's not as much chance to go exploring anyplace close, so for now, the GTL stays. Next year or after another book or two, time to re-evaluate my choices.
OKBMW likes this.
post #10 of 37 Old 09-26-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKBMW View Post
That's why I'm able to compare the 1200 to the 1250 motor, the 1250 is no longer "tractor" like in feel and sound..... ...

I would consider the new RS but I have back issues (at the ripe ole age of 54) and I prefer to be more upright these days.

So when I rode my buddies GSA I thought wow! this is so smooth and refined all the way around compared to the 2015 GS I rode. So the boxer thing, it did not feel or sound right in the RS, but the 1250 definitely feels and sounds right in the GSA. I was leaning towards the XR but the reality of it is that the GS is a better off road bike and that's part of what I want to explore in life at this time in my life. I am a dirt bike rider (KDX200 in the garage) so I am familiar with the nuances of riding in the dirt.

I guess I was looking from someone who has owned some different bikes in the past and now owns a GS or GSA to share their thoughts on how well it works as an all around bike, commuting, touring, twisties and some occasional off-road. I've reduce the amount of bikes in the garage and am looking to consolidate, so to speak.

I believe the GS or GSA will fit the bill, going to test ride a GS I was eye-balling at the dealer Saturday and my buddy with his GSA is coming along so I can switch bikes with him and do a direct comparison.
I agree with your assessment of the 1200 versus the 1250. I could never pull the trigger on the 1200 but the 1250 was a game changer.

The GS will do everything you need. The GSA adds fuel range but I consistently get over 45mpg on the 1250 and lover the flickability of the GS over the GSA. The XR is great but the GS is the better all around bike. It is all day comfortable and one of the most versatile bikes available.

Take the GS and the GSA for a test ride and pick the one that works best for you.

Good luck!!
OKBMW likes this.

2019 BMW R1250GS
2016 BMW S1000XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page