Track Day on my K1600 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-19-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Track Day on my K1600

Hello all,

I recently did a track day with an outfit called "Tony's Track Days". They're located here in the Northeast and setup track days at 4 or 5 tracks in the area. One unique thing they do is host "Non-Sport Bike" days. Now, on their regular days, you can ride anything and everything if it's got 2 wheels, a motor and passes tech, but on the NSB days, they specifically don't allow sport bikes to allow those with all other forms of bikes to ride in a more leisurely environment that puts the stress on cornering skills that can help you out on the road and aren't so focused on decreasing lap tips. There are three groups based on experience, ability and equipment. You can be moved up or down a group after the sessions based on how you're working out with the other riders in the group. The format of the day is broken up into hourly rotations. each hour, you do 20 minutes on the track, 20 minutes in the classroom, and 20 minutes break, with each group doing one of these three things. You'll end up repeating that rotation about 6 times during the day. A total of an hour and 20 minutes of riding time doesn't seem like a lot, but you're completely wiped by the last session. Anyways, it's a great experience and a useful learning tool for anyone interested. The K1600 handled very well out there, but even hanging off as far as I could, and raising the suspension to the max, and removing highway pegs, I was still touching the crash bars, so that just meant that it's time to invest in an actual track bike and start doing normal track days! There's actually a 2005 Suzuki SV650 sitting in my garage as we speak being torn down and gone over....

There was a very skilled photographer at the track names Arcy Kusari who owns a company called "On Track Media". Here are a few of his photos he captured of me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_7-16_TTD_NSB_Palmer_BLUgp302.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	131366   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_7-16_TTD_NSB_Palmer_BLUgp397.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	131368   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_7-16_TTD_NSB_Palmer_BLUgp687.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	131370   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_7-16_TTD_NSB_Palmer_BLUgp735.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	131372   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_7-16_TTD_NSB_Palmer_BLUgp819.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	131374  

Live to ride. Ride for a living.
Work - 2018 H-D NYPD FLHP
Personal - 2013 BMW K1600GTL
Track - 2005 Suzuki SV650

Last edited by mglax13; 08-19-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 03:20 AM

Nice riding!
I think it is because you ride a GTL. With the GT I do touch the footpegs on track days and that is already leaned over where my eyes start to go big!
I think time for you to change to GT since you already maximized what you can to with the GTL

2008 R1200GS
2014 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2014 R1200GS LC
post #3 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 06:34 AM

I've done several track days with the K1600GT and don't have issues with dragging pegs, etc. When I first bought my GT in '12 I had to upgrade to Wilber shocks because I was dragging the center stand. If you're dragging on the track/street there are 4 remedies; 1: upgrade shocks, 2: get off the seat more, 3: throttle/brake control, 4: slow down.

Duane
Vandaldog, K1600Belco and dobervol like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 08:34 AM

Garage
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 06:00 PM

Iíve done four track days with Tonyís. The last three were with my GTL. The first was on my Kawi C1400. These are fantastic learning environments and I highly recommend doing them. On the Non-sport bike days, it really is all about learning how to corner, not just blasting at warp speed between the corners. All of the staff are fantastic. The classroom sessions are very informative. Of course, when Ken Condon talks, you best be listening.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 06:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
I've done several track days with the K1600GT and don't have issues with dragging pegs, etc. When I first bought my GT in '12 I had to upgrade to Wilber shocks because I was dragging the center stand. If you're dragging on the track/street there are 4 remedies; 1: upgrade shocks, 2: get off the seat more, 3: throttle/brake control, 4: slow down.

Duane
Plus...he said he was dragging the crash bars first, not the pegs. You've got the Wunderlich crash bars, which won't touch down before the pegs, as most crash bars do, which was a big selling point for me. I know it may be overly old school, but to me, the pegs on my bike need to be the first thing to scrape the ground to give me that moment of extra time to ease up before I lever the contact patch off the ground.

Of course, that means the Wunderlich bars will allow it to go all the way over on its side when dropped, unless you have rear case protection bars...not that I'd know anything personally about that.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #7 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 06:28 PM

@dobervol , I don't know for sure, but you can't assume his crash bars stick out more than the foot pegs and therefore are the first parts to touch. I never had much of an issue with dragging pegs before I changed to Wilber shocks; I was dragging the center stand... I'm betting his suspension is collapsing causing the crash bars to drag. I'm also betting if you take a K bike with 'crash bars', lean it over in the parking lot, the pegs are going to impact before the crash bar...

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #8 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 PM

I have the Wunderlich bars, front and back. I have never touched them on the track, but I have ground the outside bottom edge of both foot pegs. The GTL does not have the Ďfeeler tipsí on the bottom of the pegs (at least my 2016 does not). During my first track day with the K, I would touch the pegs at specific spots on the track (Thompson Motor Speedway). This past May I was back at Thompson and did not touch down at all. I was going faster, but leaning less. Four track days will do that to you - going faster, leaning less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
@dobervol , I don't know for sure, but you can't assume his crash bars stick out more than the foot pegs and therefore are the first parts to touch. I never had much of an issue with dragging pegs before I changed to Wilber shocks; I was dragging the center stand... I'm betting his suspension is collapsing causing the crash bars to drag. I'm also betting if you take a K bike with 'crash bars', lean it over in the parking lot, the pegs are going to impact before the crash bar...

Duane
post #9 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 PM

Nice form in the corners. I started doing track days on my brand new 1984 Yamaha RZ 350 and I have been hooked ever since.

2018 K1600B
2010 DUCATI STREETFIGHTER S 1098
2012 HARLEY STREET GLIDE (FULL CUSTOM) 120R
2001 HONDA CBR 929 (TRACK BIKE)
post #10 of 19 Old 08-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Garage
I do get @Gunnert 's experience with the center stand and it being due to suspension compression/wallowing, as it's pretty close to the centerline of the bike and doesn't stick out much at all, but IS very low. And I do get that leaning occurs on an arc, while suspension compression occurs in a straight line.

What I'm getting from all of this, though, is that there are way too many variables to know for sure exactly what will happen on any one person's bike in any one condition, unless and until it does, absent a poop-load of testing. But speaking only for myself, if anything hits before my pegs on my bike under any conditions, drop or cornering at speed, I'm going to be looking to see what touched, and change what caused it, whether that means suspension or crash bars or something else entirely.

And I'm also with @jeffcelletti . OP's looking mighty good in those pics, and taking young 'uns to task who call these bikes old-man tourers, all at the same time.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page