BMW K1600 Forum banner

MOA 2017 'GROUP' SpotWalla "On the Go Thread"

17K views 155 replies 23 participants last post by  Top_Speed1 
#1 · (Edited)
I've created a 'Group' Spotwalla page for all of us going to/from the MOA Rally in Salt Lake City. It is active now (6/2/17) up till 7/30/17 ...for any extended trippers or stragglers.

JOIN Page here Password: MOA (cAsE seNsitIvE!)

VIEW Page here
(open to the public, no password)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's have one (1) running thread with all of our live updates and location chit-chat, trip changes etc... it is just easier to keep track of 1 running thread when on the road. So feel free to post up here as our "on the go" thread....

Edit; To be active (now) on the map, you not only have to Join, but also have your Spot device outside and actived. Once you do this, you can shut off your Spot and your 'loca blip' will stay on the map. And, remember to activate your Spot device each morning prior to riding.

#2 ·
I'm logged on as GT

Duane

Reactions: 6xGrins
#4 ·
Pretty cool!

What's the easiest way to upload location, gpx files? Or do most people use their phones?
We are using our SPOT or DeLorme location devices to give Spotwalla our location. It then moves as we move sending a new signal every 10 minutes. Perhaps some of the more techy guys can do it with their phones?

Reactions: srt8-in-largo
#7 ·
LET'S ALL GET ON THIS!

Rick (Pura Vida) and many other K1600'ers???....
It's a free app and service! No excuses as we want to know your location just as you do ours!... It can save time and help with your/our meetups. If anyone has a problem using this, give me a shout. It does have very easy instructions on how to mate your device to the app... so it can be seen on not only our group map, but you can also easily make personal tracking maps, give the link to your loved ones and they can keep track of you as well! "win-win".

I did say it's FREE right?

Android users: Bubbler GPS app
iPhone users: CWconnect app

So please hop on the train! :)

#8 ·
i don't have a SPOT, but I am watching!
Best.

#9 ·
I signed up for bubbler lite and got sent to spotwalla.
One one page it showed the MOA at the top of the page, as the trip, i think. I filled out several pages that seemed to be required by bubbler lite. I don't show up on the map. I may need some serious tutoring here.
On one page, it asks what trip to join, and I know MOA is the password, but I didn't know the trip name to put in. Gosh, am i lost.:confused:
Best.

#11 ·
Two things I should mention.
1. After you download Bubbler (or lite, or CWconnect) you need to marry your device to your spotwalla account.
...so make a Spotwalla account and register your device within spotwalla website (device being your phone w the Bubbler/SWconnect app on it). At this time, you also fill in info like your Initials (what's displayed on the map icon), also what you want to call your device, default map types etc. All sounds kinda complex, but it's not.

*After you marry the device to your spotwalla acct and join the Group page*

2. Go outside (with your phone w app active) so it can pickup on the satellites. Transmission of your position is thru your data plan/acct.

Done, you will now show up on the group map.

*Remember to close the app (you will still stay on the map!). And when you travel each day, turn on the Bubbler or SWconnect app. It will be automatic and start plotting your position.

#14 ·
My problem, too. I did something wrong, i think.

Reactions: Rescue13
#15 ·
It just needs to ping. For spot, outside for satellite visual, turn on, turn on tracking function and wait a bit. Took my spot a little while not sure about the other ways of tracking.

#16 ·
Satellite signal on a phone/tablet? I didn't think I had satellite service.

#18 ·
Samsung 4 phone.

#20 ·
Yes, I am using Bubbler lite, and it took me to spot, which i went through all the setup, including subscribing to the K1600 map.
Just don't show up on the map.

Fotodog got his to work but, he uses an iphone, which won't use bubbler; he uses another app, so no help there.

#22 ·
Does someone have to "accept" us to join the MOA group?

In Spotwalla I clicked the "join" and can see the map but now the group shows "???" instead of the join button.

I am using Bubbler GPS Pro and I know it is communicating with Spotwalla. I can see the ping from my phone in Spotwalla.

#25 ·
Charlie I see your pin drop is named ??? along with Matt in Des Moines. There is a way to give it a unique name (1-3 characters). It's been so long since I did mine AZJ that I don't remember how.

#24 ·
Darryl,
I don't know how Bubbler works but to get me "on the map" with my SPOT I had to turn it on and go outside and let it run for awhile to send a signal to Spotwalla. Once I was on the map I could turn the SPOT off and the pin drop stayed at my last location.

#26 ·
Hmmm. I tried to change it to CHZ but it has not updated yet. I did notice though that if you hover your mouse over the flag (without clicking) my user name pops up, which is the same as my forum name.

#33 ·
My original spot (where I was when I enabled it) is showing on the map but my location hasn't changed since and I'm not at the same location....GPS would have easily picked up my movement. Aside from driving about 2-3 miles, I walked outside about 200 yards (with a clear view of the sky in all directions).

Bubbler GPS Lite has been running the entire time. On the Activity Detail, it show Last GPS activity a few minutes ago, Last GPS point late last night, and last upload about that time.

Why is it not updating the location?

#40 ·
Charlie,
Go to post #1 on this thread and click on the red Join page here
In the window that pops up look at the right block labeled "Locaton ID" Type your 1-3 character ID that you want to show on your push pin in this box.
Put MOA in the upper left box (Join Password) then go to the bottom right corner and click on the blue join button.

#41 ·
Looks like we have 12 of the 16 who signed up for the Group Map as active. So it's growing nicely.

Rick (Pura Vida) is still not on, nor is Gary (Nwmrkt). Since these two are meeting up with me for our "Tour trip" prior to the Rally, it would be nice to see where they are, could save everyone some time and heartache too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.