K1600B "wobble" - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-22-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

K1600B "wobble"

I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) about the K1600B showing some unsettling "wobble" at higher speeds. Today I experienced this on the highway at speeds above 80 mph - moderate traffic. It concerned me and I was wondering about a design flaw. However, when I put the bike on country roads and replicated the speed (with windscreen in the full up to full down positions) the bike was stable as can be, no hint of any instability or wobble. I did this several times, in different compass directions (including direction on the highway). Since this all happened within minutes on the same ride, weather, etc. I am wondering if there is generally turbulent air on the highway from traffic that creates some issues at speeds above 80 mph. I am no longer concerned and still just thrilled with the performance of this machine.
Thoughts?
jamaican guy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-22-2018, 06:37 PM

The turbulence you experience is most likely what some people describe as dirty air. Going 80 with tractor trailer traffic it’s the same on my GT it is a drag pun intended .
ResQU, SteveWW and K16guy like this.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-22-2018, 06:58 PM

Garage
Sounds like dirty air as said above and that wobble is most likely why there is a speed limiter on the bagger due to different aerodynamics than the GT or GTL.

Speed limited?
"125MPH for the Bagger although the manual recommends a self limited lower speed of 111MPH if you have footboards installed."

Source (BMW MOA): https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...mited-on-K16B&
GTLen and ResQU like this.

If life gives you MELONS you may be dyslexic.

Last edited by JoeP; 11-22-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-22-2018, 08:47 PM

"Wobble" is a subjective word .... I definitely feel the wind more through the bars than my '14 RT but I wouldn't call it as bad as a "wobble". And yes, on a 2 lane country road at high speed I feel nothing but when I am on a multi-lane road with lots of traffic and trucks it is noticeable and at times disconcerting.

However, having said that, the B is the smoothest and most vibration-free bike that I have ever ridden. I have never felt more connected with a bike even with its heavy weight.
ResQU likes this.

Current bike: '18 K1600B
Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #5 of 27 Old 11-22-2018, 10:48 PM

Garage
All models of the K1600 move in dirty air more than other bikes out there. I came from a Honda ST1300 that also didn't like dirty air, so it doesn't bother me. If you are coming from a cruiser than it will take some time to get use to it. Every review I've read points out the issue. The same steering geometry that allows this, is what allows the bike to steer into corners so effortlessly.

Sent using Tapatalk
ResQU and 1dragon like this.

"I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam
post #6 of 27 Old 11-23-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybeamer View Post
I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) about the K1600B showing some unsettling "wobble" at higher speeds. Today I experienced this on the highway at speeds above 80 mph - moderate traffic. It concerned me and I was wondering about a design flaw. However, when I put the bike on country roads and replicated the speed (with windscreen in the full up to full down positions) the bike was stable as can be, no hint of any instability or wobble. I did this several times, in different compass directions (including direction on the highway). Since this all happened within minutes on the same ride, weather, etc. I am wondering if there is generally turbulent air on the highway from traffic that creates some issues at speeds above 80 mph. I am no longer concerned and still just thrilled with the performance of this machine.
Thoughts?
All of my RT 1200 (3) respond that way in dirty air as did my GTL, my GT 1600 and my two Valkyries and some others.
Remember you are the little guy out there and dirty air moves you around. Hang on and ride through it.😁
ResQU likes this.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-23-2018, 03:20 AM

@indybeamer what are your suspension settings at? That would be the first place to start checking before having any huge concerns over instability in dirty air.

Adding preload and riding it in normal or sport (if those options exist on yours) would quiet down your instability a lot. The comfort setting allows a lot of travel that can cause the k16 to wobble or bob a lot at speed. I added luggage setting on preload to my usual and that was enough to fix things. If really needed try adding 2 riders to the preload setting.

If suspension checks out and you feel the bike is not tracking correctly under normal conditions (pulls left or right of center while crusing) that is something to be concerned about. That is a whole other kind of instability.
Tinman, ResQU and Rider59 like this.

Last edited by K16guy; 11-23-2018 at 07:26 AM.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-12-2019, 08:07 PM

I noticed this too in my 2018 B/GA. Dealer rebalanced front tire and that helped. They did a test ride and could still feel it, not as bad but it's still there. They bumped it up to BMW to see how they want to proceed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 27 Old 01-13-2019, 12:26 AM

Garage
Following.
Interesting thread, as I noticed this on my extended test ride, but in that instance not enough to be a deal breaker that day. Was on a busy 6 lane.

(4) Wings/(3) HD Touring and now (1) '18 K1600B GA
post #10 of 27 Old 01-13-2019, 04:34 AM

Garage
Mine certainly knows when a big truck goes past, but on the open road it is smooth as can be... Yestedays test ride and I was even feet on the boards, cruise control on 120kmh, leaning back with hands on the panniers. If the road was straight enough I could have had a little snooze.
lone-rider, ResQU, SteveWW and 2 others like this.

Donna
(It’s all fun until I break a nail!)
Pink and Black K1600B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page