Long way to go for boots - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Long way to go for boots

I planned to ride out to Eurosport Asheville from my house, then down to pay a visit to Wunderlich, and head back home. A frantic call from my wife about her car overheating forced me to skip Wunderlich, but I ended up covering about 520 miles today, which is more than I've ever done in a single day. The trip out was nice. Traffic was a bit heavier than I would like, but the weather was about 82 or so. The Nav V took me on a roundabout way to get to the dealer, which was annoying. The guys at Eurosport were great. I was in the market for some new boots, and ended up with a pair of the BMW All Arounds. They offered to ship my old ones home, but I just stuffed them into the pannier. They also charged up my Cardo, which gave me a low battery warning as I reached town. I spent about an hour hanging out and drinking water, as I was really dry. About 2:00, I headed out with a German restaurant as my destination. It was supposed to be on the way to Hendersonville, but I think Google maps reoriented the map on me, and I ended up going north. I got the call from my wife and immediately started heading home. This was a less than stellar experience. The temperatures started climbing. About 3:00, I felt hot and the bike told me it was 94F. As I pushed on, I watched the temp climb to 99F. At the same time, my butt got really uncomfortable. My RDL is brand new - one of the reasons for riding 500 miles to buy boots is to break it in. I was wearing Klim Dakar pants, which are mesh, and cotton underwear. Suffice it to say that DLComfort will be one of my first stops at the rally. Hopefully that will eliminate the pain. I feel like the mesh in the pants was causing a lot of the pain I felt, and am still feeling an hour later. I definitely learned a few things on the trip. Traffic was backed up due to rubbernecking of some incident on the opposite side of I-40. The engine temp slowly climbed until it turned red and a red triangle was flashing on the dash. I decided it was better to break the law than destroy the engine, and rode down the shoulder between the rumble strip and the grass until I was able to get around everyone. I'm considering a shift extension, as I noticed several times that I missed the shift lever. Overall, not a bad ride, but I am tired. Tomorrow, I will be heading for the coast to pick my wife up at her mom's house. Grandma will be watching the kids while we go for her first ride on the RDL. (The Nissan dealer gave her a loaner car while they figure what's wrong with hers.)

Matt Clark, Bunnlevel, NC
Triumph: '67 Bonneville, '04 Bonneville, '05 Thruxton
BMW: '72 R75/5, '12 K1600 GTL - KIA Drunk Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 07:05 AM

Garage
I know your post is about your boots and gear but the health of your bike makes my OCD kick in, please bear with me a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMutt View Post
The engine temp slowly climbed until it turned red and a red triangle was flashing on the dash.
I've never had the overheat problem, even in riding in 115 F temps with 2 different K1600's over the past 7 years and have sat in dead still traffic many times in the Dallas area in near 107 to 110 temps.

I've seen several posts here regarding the same overheat issue(s). In my opinion, NO K16 temp should reach the red during operation in all normal conditions (sitting in traffic being "normal" condition to me); thus, to me, it is a problem I would address.

You should probably research the fixes but in short check these out in this forum:
1. Coolant level - https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...home-road.html <--- this post also speaks to burping the air from the coolant system.

If the coolant level is good, check front and back of radiator for debris.

2. Is your radiator clean (debris clogged it? Search for this one here, several good posts and cleaning procedures and preventative maintenance ideas. Checking your radiator - https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...k16s-cool.html
3. Has ALL of the air been burped from your coolant system. An air bubble can cause this issue. The procedure and manual pics are posted here too.
Burp the air - https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...g-coolant.html

Coolant service manual pages: https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...ual-pages.html
cdc likes this.

If life gives you MELONS you may be dyslexic.

Last edited by JoeP; 05-25-2019 at 07:21 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 07:47 AM

Garage
Mutt

There is nothing wrong with your Bike with the traffic you were describing I have seen several K16 suffer the same faith.

I too was up in AVL and stopped into EuroSport really nice dealership I bought the GS Boots.

PS I bought the new Dakar over the Boot pant and Dakar jacket have't ridden it but 100 miles so far.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 09:17 AM

Every time we are in the area, we always stop by there. Great bunch.

Jesse Kriner - Hope Mills, NC
2018 Grand America - Black Storm Metallic
14 GTL, 05 LT, 85 K100RS
post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am kind of concerned about the overheating issue. I checked the coolant level before leaving. Haven't checked it today - bike was still hot when I went to bed. I don't have the service history, other than the dealership saying they did the 18k check. Radiator looks clean.

You'll have to tell me how the pants are for you after a long ride. I'm going to try UA shorts today for my trip to Carolina Beach - only 250 miles round trip. Maybe I'll take a long way home. Definitely going to throw on my Camelback between my jacket and turtle vest. I found that I am able to flip up my C4 with confidence while riding, so drinking shouldn't be an issue.

Matt Clark, Bunnlevel, NC
Triumph: '67 Bonneville, '04 Bonneville, '05 Thruxton
BMW: '72 R75/5, '12 K1600 GTL - KIA Drunk Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page