2019 - August Ride - Page 7 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 69 Old 08-28-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
Wow the thoughts of you winding your way through the Rockies just earlier brings up scary scenes.
Were the bearings your original ones?

Folks have your service tech check the wheel bearings every time you have new tires installed.
For those of us that change our own tires make sure you "feel" for worn bearings every time. That's not to say they can't go bad during the 6-8K miles of use but it's better than never checking them.
Yes Jim, these are the original wheel bearings. They failed after 90k miles. The Service Manager says that inspecting the bearings are part of every tire change. My front tire had 11K miles on it so that was the last time they inspected them.

The Service Manager is very interested to find out why the front brakes failed. He told me that BMW would want a report as any incident that causes a total brake failure is a serious concern.

Andy

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.
Scuberth C4 Pro, Helite vest with Hi-Viz, Aerostich Roadcrafter Lite suit

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 08-28-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiehammond View Post
How'd you break the peg off?
An embarrassing, stupid moment. When the flatbed tow truck arrived, the drive lowered and tipped the flatbed back. He then asked me to ride the bike up the ramp. I did this carefully right to the top, slipped the clutch and pulled on the front brake. Nothing! KBiK shot back down the ramp and we dumped with me trapped underneath. Broke the LHS peg off and scratched the exhaust, but the front and rear crash bars protected everything else.

Curse myself now for not holding the bike using the clutch but it all happened very fast. I also think that it could have been worse if I had held on the clutch and then slipped back off the flatbed while he was raising the bed.

We then used the winch to drag KBiK up onto the flatbed.
Gunnert likes this.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.

Last edited by amorley; 08-28-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #63 of 69 Old 08-28-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorley View Post
An embarrassing, stupid moment. When the flatbed tow truck arrived, the drive lowered and tipped the flatbed back. He then asked me to ride the bike up the ramp. I did this carefully right to the top, slipped the clutch and pulled on the front brake. Nothing! KBiK shot back down the ramp and we dumped with me trapped underneath. Broke the LHS peg off and scratched the exhaust, but the front and rear crash bars protected everything else.

Curse myself now for not holding the bike using the clutch but it all happened very fast. I also think that it could have been worse if I had held on the clutch and then slipped back off the flatbed while he was raising the bed.
I knew there had to be a story - and that was a good one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 69 Old 08-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Bright side is you know the diagnosis. Wheel should be ok but worst case, you've got your extended warranty. Were the bearings original?

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #65 of 69 Old 08-29-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorley View Post
The Service Manager is very interested to find out why the front brakes failed. He told me that BMW would want a report as any incident that causes a total brake failure is a serious concern.
It is odd that the brakes totally failed. It is a closed hydraulic system so if you have fluid you should have some braking. I don't see how it could be an electronics issue (ABS) because I do not notice any change in brake effort when I move my bike around in the garage with the bike fully powered down and I also trust that when I am riding down the road and lose power that I will have brakes so what could possibly have caused this to happen to you with a bad front wheel bearing? IIRC, there are a couple of other threads where this happened or at least in @Donna 's case, her brakes were greatly marginalized. Not sure that she ever learned what really caused it.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #66 of 69 Old 08-29-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Bright side is you know the diagnosis. Wheel should be ok but worst case, you've got your extended warranty. Were the bearings original?

Duane

Yes Duane, these were the original front bearings inspected when the front tire was installed 11k miles ago. KBiK had 90,100 miles in 4 years and 4 months when they failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)

post #67 of 69 Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM

@amorley , you got your money's worth out of that set!

For anyone in my area with >40K miles on their front bearings I'll change them out for you, minimal cost.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #68 of 69 Old 09-12-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am enjoying a week in North Wales staying at a cottage in Snowdonia with Kathy.

Heard from my BMW Maintenance Manager about the repairs to KBiK.

Extended warranty has agreed to replace the front wheel, axle, bearings and front brake rotors. I am paying for new brake pads and two new tires. Should be good to go for my October Ride when I return later this month.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)

post #69 of 69 Old 09-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Garage
Wales sure looks beautiful

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page