2019 - August Ride - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 Old 07-29-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2019 - August Ride

After taking a month off in July, I have another long ride planned for August.

On Saturday, I'll head north from Houston for the 1,600 mile ride to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada to celebrate my Mother-in-law's 95th birthday. Kathy and James will fly up from Houston, and our other son, David will fly in from Birmingham, UK.

Concerned about the heat as the forecast is for temperatures in the mid 90s degF for this ride.

After all the celebrations, I'll ride south west back into the US to enjoy the Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway before riding across Yellowstone to West Gate in Idaho. I'll then follow Lewis and Clark up the Bitterroot and over Lolo to the Snake and Columbia Rivers.

Turning westwards in Idaho I'll return to Wyoming and Utah into Colorado to meet up with friends in Grand Junction.

I'll return home over the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and then into New Mexico staying overnight in Lubbock before the final day into Houston.

A bit over 6,000 miles in 24 days. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...=0&showAll=yes

I'll try to post updates and pictures as possible during this ride.

Andy

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.
Scuberth C4 Pro, Helite vest with Hi-Viz, Aerostich Roadcrafter Lite suit

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold)

Last edited by amorley; 07-29-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 07-29-2019, 12:45 AM
KEG

Garage
Amorley,
On your return route south through Idaho on Highway 55, unless you have a reason to visit Boise (which is a nice city with great restaurants), consider leaving Highway 55 at Banks and go east on Highway 17 along the Payette River through Garden City and on to Lowman where you will reconnect with your original route. Itís shorter and more scenic (for me) byway with little traffic ó I just rode that loop last week.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Megawatt155 likes this.

Ken
post #3 of 69 Old 07-29-2019, 08:33 AM

Garage
If you're hungry when near KC, scoot over a bit and I'll buy you a BBQ lunch, or dinner, whatever meal is appropriate. Safe travels on the next adventure!

James

Ď18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
Ď14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
Ď83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
Ď83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
Ď76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
Ď73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 Old 07-29-2019, 08:47 AM

Garage
95! How fantastic! Great job mom! Safe travels.
amorley likes this.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #5 of 69 Old 07-29-2019, 10:03 AM

Have fun Andy looks like a good ride.
amorley likes this.

I use to be TOMB now I am Booger Man
post #6 of 69 Old 07-29-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG View Post
Amorley,
On your return route south through Idaho on Highway 55, unless you have a reason to visit Boise (which is a nice city with great restaurants), consider leaving Highway 55 at Banks and go east on Highway 17 along the Payette River through Garden City and on to Lowman where you will reconnect with your original route. Itís shorter and more scenic (for me) byway with little traffic ó I just rode that loop last week.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip, Ken! I am going into Boise as that is where I have booked a KOA cabin for the night.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.

post #7 of 69 Old 07-30-2019, 11:10 AM

Hi Andy,

Coming down Lolo....Orofino Idaho is a great place to stop...Nice restaurants, view of The Clearwater River ....The photo is The Best Western Plus, nice restaurant next door..

Have a great trip...

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150721_204018.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	130446  
amorley and Megawatt155 like this.

Paul
2012 BMW 1600GT
2009 BMW 1200RT
2005 BMW 1200GS
post #8 of 69 Old 08-06-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfin31 View Post
Hi Andy,

Coming down Lolo....Orofino Idaho is a great place to stop...Nice restaurants, view of The Clearwater River ....The photo is The Best Western Plus, nice restaurant next door..

Have a great trip...

Paul

Thanks for the tip! I am booked into the KOA just upstream at Kamiah. I may look to see if I can get a room at this Best Western.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)

post #9 of 69 Old 08-06-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
First three days of my ride completed successfully and I have crossed the border into Manitoba, Canada at the Pembina - Emerson border point south of Winnipeg.

On Saturday, I left Houston early and rode north up I-45. It was overcast with an occasional drizzle until I reached Dallas where I hit a huge rainstorm. Very scary riding through the city in low visibility with heavy rain and lots of deep water on the freeways. At least three major accidents involving semi trucks and lots more with cars. A pickup truck spun out in front of me as I rode through Denton. Rain dried up at Gardiner and so it was a good ride up to Oklahoma City on I-35. Stayed the first night in a cabin at the KOA in Choctaw.

Sunday I left early again and rode 650 miles up through Wichita, KS to Topeka on I-35 and then on KS 75 into Nebraska. Crossed the Missouri and then went north on I-29 to Sioux Falls to stay in another KOA cabin. Lots of flooding still present south of Council Bluffs.

From Sioux Falls it was only 450 miles north into Canada for at total of 1,600 miles in three days.

KBiK will be parked for the next week as we celebrate Kathyís Motherís 95th Birthday.

https://www.texasmorleys.com/2010-20...ust/index.html

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)

post #10 of 69 Old 08-06-2019, 11:38 AM

Garage
Hey, Andy! Got me dreaming once again!! I see you will be in the Jacksonville area during your October ride. We have space in the garage for Kbike, 2 empty bedrooms and a heated pool to stretch and relax your muscles. Open invitation to stay with us if/when you RON in Jacksonville. We're 1 mile off I95... Safe travels my friend.
amorley likes this.

Cheers!

Doug

Previous: Multiple Japanese (dirt and street), several HDs, 03' K1200GT, 09' K1300GT. Current: 2014 K1600 GT Sport, 2012 Husqvarna TE250 for beating up the bush!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page