Appalacian Bound - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Appalacian Bound

Leaving northern Minnesota in two weeks on a solo ride. Highlights will be Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the Dragon. Any tips on routes, cool places to stay, great places to eat, points of interest, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
PLAGUE likes this.

Be cool or be cast out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 05:46 PM

@Filterguy , the BMW RA national rally is 5-8 September. Rally location is the fairgrounds in Woodstock, VA. Woodstock is about 10 miles for the start of Skyline Dr at Front Royal, VA. Several of us will be attending, camping at the rally, and riding the back roads of WV for a few days; join us.

Duane
Jonnybow, 6xGrins, Kuzman and 1 others like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #3 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 05:53 PM

Garage
Like always, you will find more great routes than you have time alotted. The Dragon is "Ok", if it is your first time, but if you wish to enjoy IMHO better roads and less crowds, focus on some intersecting roads to the Sky Line and Parkway. Many factors to consider; dates of the trip (Fall Festivals), etc. I am sure you are checking resources like Butler Maps and several other publications focused on this subject matter. Question 1: Duration? Question 2: Ride through or base camp rides? Question 3: Direction to be traveled? A couple of favorites are VA 16, Tazewell to Demascus, VA. Then over to 421 to Bristol, TN. Moving into NC there are to many to list, but a couple stand out routes off the Parkway are NC 276 and NC 215. Depending on your direction, timing of the week, and if you have never ridden through the Smokey Mountain NP, turn right at the southern end of the parkway and ride north to Cades Cove. Wind around the back way through TN to the Dragon. If you have been there, done that, turn left through Charokee, NC on to Bryson City and pickup NC 28 (Moonshine). If all else fails, fill you tank and go exploring; forty years later, you will still be finding routes to log down. Have a great trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 06:04 PM

Look up Back of the Dragon... A lot less traffic and much better riding.. Southern WV eastern VA area.

https://www.backofthedragon.com/

Much longer stretches and great scenery..
MikeB60 and Jonnybow like this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #5 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 06:34 PM

Garage
Look up mountain rides under Southeast riders. We have been doing Appalachian mountain rides since 2016. Or, search Tame The Tail of the Dragon. This our yearly K1600 rally at the IHML. Best,

Doc
post #6 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 07:03 PM

I would add Moonshiner 28 and The Cherahola Skyway to the list. If you ride the Tail Of The Dragon, plan to ride it early on a weekday. That may help you avoid some of the riff raff. If you take 28 south to Franklin, you can take Hwy 64 to Highlands where you can pass a few waterfalls such as Dry Falls, Callasaja Falls, Quarry Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. We’ve rode Skyline Drive and top to bottom Blue Ridge Parkway as well. You’re gonna have a blast.

Jesse Kriner - Hope Mills, NC
2018 Grand America - Black Storm Metallic
14 GTL, 05 LT, 85 K100RS
post #7 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 08:02 PM

Garage
@Gunnert -

Can one just unexpectedly wake up that morning, pack a small camping kit, ride the 10 hours it would take to get there, and expect to find a camping spot and or a hotel room and be welcome and accepted?

Perhaps arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday...
6xGrins likes this.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 08:16 PM

@PLAGUE , yes, there'll be plenty of camping area. I'll be putting up the K1600 banner, about 3'x5', black lettering, yellow background. Rally location is the Shenandoah Fairgrounds in Woodstock, VA, come and join us!

Duane
J-Luv, 6xGrins and PLAGUE like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels

Last edited by Gunnert; 08-27-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 09:56 PM

Garage
@Gunnert - I may just do that. Thank you.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-27-2019, 10:30 PM

Someone suggested riding the Dragon early in the morning before the buffoons show up. I'd suggest this, or wait until the end of the day...about 3pm-4pm. Most everyone has cleared out by then.

Western NC and Tenn has more good MC roads than you'll have time to ride. If you happen to get near Gatlinburg, try Tenn 32. It's probably the curviest road I've ridden...32 runs from Hwy 321 to the NC line. At the NC line the road crosses the App. Trail. At this point I've always turned around, due to the NC side being gravel. Also, there will be no traffic on 32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page