Riders over 50 represent the most bike fatalities... - Page 9 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 81 Old 06-06-2019, 07:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfalkenstein View Post
I would; why do they tend to die? Why are they crashing? Do they pose a different kind of risk because of behavior?

My opinion is that if I am in a wreck, it is likely my fault for being where I could be hurt. There are exceptions to this of course, but generally, I study the causes of accidents so that I am not, myself, a statistic.
As far as interpreting from the information there is almost no way to glean any real information from the released information that I have seen. One interesting interpretation is that over the period the statistics covered the age group that crashed the most early in the statistics is the age group now that is having the most fatalities. It would have been more interesting if they had chased a demographic by birth year (people born in 19xx who ride over a xx year period). But that could just be pure numbers talking (volume of riders) since overall motorcycle sales are down. Then you have capacity/capabilities vs skill. You would expect that for any athletic endeavor that age would play a big factor. Motorcyle riding (Actively) is a demanding sport, sedately cruising isn't. (dirt bike riding can burn upwards of 400 calories/hour). This creates an intersection between the bike which is quite athletic, always, and the rider, which isn't. There is no doubt that many riders are riding over the actual capacity (not skill). I for one would admit that my bike has greater capacity/capabilities for activity than I do. Its not that I don't stay current and wear the armor but even in my current fitness state (better than ever in the last 15 years) I am nowhere near where I was in my 20s (competitive wrestler turned power lifter). A persons ability to react, and act (two separate things) gets dulled by age, thats a fact. We rely more on our ability to predict and avoid than we do on our coordination and strength. That has limits. Trolling through the statistics you can interpret (with all the caveats) some interesting information. Sport touring riders are relatively safe, cruisers are not but only as a percentage of overall motorcycle riders. We know for instance that HD sales far outstrip sport tourer sales so again, we are back to volume. I wish we could more easily get at the raw information to do some data mining, the presentation that has been provided is less than useful. (informative but pointless). Trolling through other statistics was a bit more interesting. There are a similar number of deaths every year involving large trucks. The interesting (and maddening thing) about that is that 82% of all large truck fatalities are occupants in other vehicles (72%) or pedestrians (10%)..

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page