Easiest centerstand method for me - Page 8 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 78 Old 12-04-2018, 01:47 AM

I have a B which I believe has the same CS as the GA and it's pretty much a GA without the top box. It's about the same as my ST Honda was to get up on the CS. I am even able to do it with Crocs on, which are about as soft of a sole as you can get. I know proper technique will make it easier but maybe not easy in and of itself. If it's really that difficult maybe you guys want to look into getting the legs shortened on the CS. If I remember correctly someone here did just that, maybe try the search option. Good luck I hope you find something that works for you.

Matt S.
2018 K1600B- black beauty
2007 ST1300- silver bullet
1981 CB900C- blue bomb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 78 Old 07-03-2019, 10:37 PM

Garage
180# comes right up on level ground, with very little lift assistance on the grab bar.
little more difficult if on a slight incline
post #73 of 78 Old 07-04-2019, 06:32 AM

Everything is relative, I guess.

My GS has always been more “stubborn” to get up on the centerstand—the stand is much taller and definitely needs a rear-rocking move with lift on the rear hand rails as I put my 220 lbs onto the arm to get the GS up on it.

Given that, I’m always amazed at the ease which I raise the GT on the centerstand given it’s greater weight. When I use the same rearward momentum and with my weight on the arm, it flips up on the stand so quickly, the GT almost skids backward on it. I have to make sure I use less momentum when raising the GT over raising my GS.

Mike M
2016 R1200GS Triple Black
2016 K1600GT Black Storm

Last edited by Mike M; 07-04-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 78 Old 07-04-2019, 07:28 AM

Just an idea guys.... If you back the rear wheel onto a piece of inch or so ply wood before you try and lift it, it should make getting the bike on the centre stand easier. Clearly you can't carry ply wood around with you but would work at your home location.

Update: I see im not the first to suggest this reading back through this thread! Apologies for the duplication.

Kev

Current
2019 K1600 GT Sport

Previous
Honda X11
Honda Blackbird (x2)
Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Last edited by KAS_UK; 07-04-2019 at 07:34 AM.
post #75 of 78 Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi View Post
Well, I do take it off center stand bu sitting on the bike and rocking it forward. No issue. But I am 6.8'
I do it the same way, and I am only 5ft 9.5inches, and I have a high Sargent seat on my GTL

Scott R
2018 K1600 GTL
post #76 of 78 Old 07-04-2019, 08:26 AM

Garage
Hence the barefoot method...

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #77 of 78 Old 07-04-2019, 10:32 AM

I just skimmed this whole thread and I may have missed it but the very first thing to do is make sure that the bike is in neutral. A bike that's in gear has much more resistance to initially rolling backwards when going up on the center stand.

Loud pipes save egos.

2014 K1600GT
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 3 K1100s, WR250R
post #78 of 78 Old 07-05-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
OK, forget it! Just use the side stand. (Just kidding)

I hesitate to share my 63 years of wisdom with a 72 year old senior (you should be instructing me) but with the right technique the KGTL has been, for me, one of the easiest bikes to put on the centerstand (after the 'revelation' in my opening post).

Solid flat ground goes without saying. You might also try 2 helmets setting (I almost always have it set for solo and it works a treat). Also, at first, a spotter wouldn't hurt on the opposite side. You should be able to plant both centerstand feet and then just stand on the CS arm. If you have good balance you should, on your own, be able to hold the bike still on 2 legs of CS and two wheels if it doesn't go up - but it should ascend. I'm 220 net, probably 235 with riding gear (and maybe 245 after Thanksgiving!).

Maybe if the bike doesn't go up, put a 5lb bag of sugar in each pocket

It's a pain to have a hinderance like this - I hope you get this sorted my friend and enjoy every aspect of this great bike.

Cheers,

Derek
I'm 72 years, 5 feet six, 150 pounds and have 1 1/2" Gars lowering links and 1 Helmet setting on the ESA. Theoretically it should be really hard to get my GTL up onto the center stand.
If there is a trick (or tricks)it is to get the front wheel straight, get you foot onto the center stand foot and touch down both feet of the stand (you'll feel the bike rock a little side to side as they do) then stand on the foot and pull up on the grab bar in a 2 o'clock direction. It's the first couple inches of lift that are the toughest but once you get past that the thing will roll right up. I used to worry about dropping the bike on one side or the other but once both feet touch down, it can't go anywhere but up if you pull up and a little back.
kotr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page