Easiest centerstand method for me - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 Old 10-24-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Easiest centerstand method for me

Today, out of curiosity, I tried a slightly different method of placing the bike on the center stand. It turns out it was the least effort I've ever put into a large bike. My usual method has been to put a little weight on the center stand arm and lift/pull with both hands on the handlebar and handle (ST1300) or passenger grab handle (K1600GTL) or other solid bike part.

Today, I just stood on the center stand arm (obviously still holding the handlebar and grab handle) and the bike went up with no pulling. Wow, what a difference! I am 220 lbs (net) so lighter riders will have progressively diminishing success with this method.

So if you haven't tried this before give it a try. Obviously plant both center stand legs on the ground before standing on the arm.

And if you don't succeed, what's the worst that could happen?

The bike won't go up...

And it might topple over...

And fall on you...

And break both legs...

And IF that happens, don't come running to me!!!

Cheers,

Derek
NorCalRich, kwheels and K16guy like this.

Bikes: (1971 to present) Honda Benly C92 125cc, Honda CB350 twin, Norton Commando Fastback 750 cc, Honda CB750F1, Honda CB900F, Honda CB250RS, Honda ST1100, Honda ST1300, BMW K1600GTL (Dark Graphite).

Last edited by Derek; 10-24-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 10-25-2018, 12:05 AM

That is the way I have always done it. Full weight on the arm of the center stand, and pull up on the grab bar as needed. A bigger guy or lighter bike needs less grab bar. Years back I had a small Honda street bike. I could pop it up on the stand without using my hands at all.
volfan615 likes this.
post #3 of 78 Old 10-25-2018, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
That is the way I have always done it. Full weight on the arm of the center stand, and pull up on the grab bar as needed. A bigger guy or lighter bike needs less grab bar. Years back I had a small Honda street bike. I could pop it up on the stand without using my hands at all.
But the main point was that NO pull on the grab bar was needed at all - both arms were relaxed. That was what surprised me.

Cheers,

Derek
bill069 likes this.

Bikes: (1971 to present) Honda Benly C92 125cc, Honda CB350 twin, Norton Commando Fastback 750 cc, Honda CB750F1, Honda CB900F, Honda CB250RS, Honda ST1100, Honda ST1300, BMW K1600GTL (Dark Graphite).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 Old 10-25-2018, 12:17 AM

Garage
I just took delivery of my bike Friday night and the salesperson showed me about 6 times how to do it and I did do it myself a few times while he was coaching me. I did 650 miles over the weekend and every time I stopped I tried it and almost killed myself in the attempts. I did manage to do it when I filled up a few times (thankfully) but couldn't do it most of the time. I weigh 220 also and was standing on the arm it didn't seem to matter. Took the bike in Tuesday for first service and the salesperson again came out and did it (he weighs around 150 soaking wet..) and keeps telling me its not about strength but technick which he promises I will get if I keep trying. We will see but Im not giving up! I did almost dump it on off side a couple of times so hope I get this secret technical secret soon..

Alan
post #5 of 78 Old 10-25-2018, 12:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBagger View Post
I just took delivery of my bike Friday night and the salesperson showed me about 6 times how to do it and I did do it myself a few times while he was coaching me. I did 650 miles over the weekend and every time I stopped I tried it and almost killed myself in the attempts. I did manage to do it when I filled up a few times (thankfully) but couldn't do it most of the time. I weigh 220 also and was standing on the arm it didn't seem to matter. Took the bike in Tuesday for first service and the salesperson again came out and did it (he weighs around 150 soaking wet..) and keeps telling me its not about strength but technick which he promises I will get if I keep trying. We will see but Im not giving up! I did almost dump it on off side a couple of times so hope I get this secret technical secret soon..
If you are almost dumping it on its side you need to make sure you have both feet of the center stand down first before applying weight. If both arms are not down, the bike could rock and that's when it feels like it might fall over. That is the part I see throwing most people. If the bike front and back tires are aligned, you stand as close as you can to the bike, push the center stand down until both arms are on the ground, rock the bike away from you a little bit and back, you can feel that both are down, then and only then, get close to the bike, and push straight down just with your weight on the center stand arm. I find that it helps if you have a solid sole on your boot and you are lifting up and back on the grab, not just up as just up will kind of fight the motion you need which is up and back towards the rear wheel.
SSTwin likes this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #6 of 78 Old 10-25-2018, 01:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post
If you are almost dumping it on its side you need to make sure you have both feet of the center stand down first before applying weight. If both arms are not down, the bike could rock and that's when it feels like it might fall over. That is the part I see throwing most people. If the bike front and back tires are aligned, you stand as close as you can to the bike, push the center stand down until both arms are on the ground, rock the bike away from you a little bit and back, you can feel that both are down, then and only then, get close to the bike, and push straight down just with your weight on the center stand arm. I find that it helps if you have a solid sole on your boot and you are lifting up and back on the grab, not just up as just up will kind of fight the motion you need which is up and back towards the rear wheel.
I am having trouble "feeling" if both legs are down and am definitely muscling it up (and don't have many muscles left..) when I do get it. I think I am trying to pull it up and not up and back so I will try that, thanks

Alan
post #7 of 78 Old 10-25-2018, 06:04 AM

I use the same method, but, be careful.

1. My 2017 bike has the special "Shiny end" on the foot stump of the center stand, so that when you stand on it with wet feet you slip off, drop the bike and BMW get the opportunity to sell you bits. I didn't drop the bike, but I did slip off, thankfully the bike dropped down in a central position and I set it on the side stand. So keep the side stand down. My "Shiny end of a foot stump" has been painted with skateboard paint, excellent stuff.

2. Don't try putting it on the main stand with your side cases full. Otherwise you end up, standing on the main-stand and trying to pull the thing up, afraid of setting it down again, while your mates look at you laughing. I have done this.
post #8 of 78 Old 10-25-2018, 06:21 AM

I stated the same thing in a thread a while back. It's very easy to put on the center stand if you use mostly your leg. It is actually easier to get it onto the centerstand than to get it off.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300...Prev 2013 & 2015 1600GT,
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS....2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT
post #9 of 78 Old 10-25-2018, 07:25 AM

Well, I do take it off center stand bu sitting on the bike and rocking it forward. No issue. But I am 6.8'

K1600GT 2016
post #10 of 78 Old 10-25-2018, 07:48 AM

Starting with the GTL on the side stand, I fold away the passenger foot peg so I can get straight push down with my leg, with right hand on passenger grab rail, other on the handlebars and right boot on the center-stand, set the bike upright, rock it side to side to make sure both legs are touching the ground, then simply transfer my weight to my right foot, and up it comes.

For me, if the bike is set to two helmets, it's easy. On one helmet it's heavy and difficult, and I wouldn't attempt it with the bike loaded up, and never unless I am wearing boots.

Joe
SSTwin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page