Motor Officers - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 12:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dragon View Post
Yeap these guys have skill, still learning stuff from my brother. He's still a motor officer. I do remember when he went through the course it was on the Kawasaki 1000's I think, what stuck out to me was the requirement to lay the bike down in a skid at 55 mph on the crash bar. This was to show them that once you slid the back end and low sided you kept the brake locked so you wouldn't high side. One of his buddies didn't and got thrown over the bike and broke his collar bone. After healing up he did successfully complete the course. From what I know this isn't done anymore, abs brakes and liability concerns have done away with it.
My Dad's last ride for the LAPD was the Kawasaki 1000. I remember he was really looking forward to getting that bike. Before that, it was Harley and Moto Guzzi. He used to pull a rolling U in our driveway and back into the garage. The driveway is short, narrow and sloped. I can turn around easily on an empty 2-lane highway, but can't imagine trying in that little driveway. Maybe the bikes were smaller. Ya, that's it.
vistavette and 1dragon like this.

John
2018 K1600 GT - Option 719 Blue Planet w/forged wheels

2014 K1600 GTL - Magnesium Beige (past)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx1800n1 View Post
I would dearly love to get the training these officers get, just not at the expense of dropping my own bike. It certainly takes dedication and skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldY_qZWeTPI

.....just not at the expense of dropping my own bike.

You just said the magic words! Comparing yourself trying to learn with the Motorcops learning is not a fair comparison.

The cops don't have to pay to fix their bikes when the damage occurs with dropping them 100 times while in the class. We DO have to pay for the damage we do to our bikes. That complicates learning for us. Do you need to lean it more? Do you need to look behind you farther into a U-turn(with the possibility of losing balance while doing so)?

Plus, those bikes in the videos are Harley Davidsons, with crash bars that limit damage(not completely though) to the bikes. The BMW's you guys ride don't have that protection. Heck, some of them don't have ANY protection!
post #13 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhewlett View Post
A gentleman in my motorcycle club is a motor officer. He rides like you can't imagine and always wins slow ride competitions. He can ride his bike slower than molasses dripping. It is something to watch. Not just corners and speeds. If you can get to a police motor officer competition do it. These guys have some skills.

M
Every few years the Southwest competition is held right near my house, my family and I love going to watch.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2015 K1600GTL
2017 Triumph Bonneville T120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
.....just not at the expense of dropping my own bike.

You just said the magic words! Comparing yourself trying to learn with the Motorcops learning is not a fair comparison.

The cops don't have to pay to fix their bikes when the damage occurs with dropping them 100 times while in the class. We DO have to pay for the damage we do to our bikes. That complicates learning for us. Do you need to lean it more? Do you need to look behind you farther into a U-turn(with the possibility of losing balance while doing so)?

Plus, those bikes in the videos are Harley Davidsons, with crash bars that limit damage(not completely though) to the bikes. The BMW's you guys ride don't have that protection. Heck, some of them don't have ANY protection!
The trick is to keep your momentum and not stop with the front wheel/fork turned. As long as you are rolling, you will not drop it (unless you lean it too far). Mentally this is an adjustment but once you learn the limits of your bike, you will gain confidence.

But as you noted, it is one thing doing this in a parking lot when there is no traffic or other distractions and an entirely different matter doing it on a busy road, or grocery store parking lot. Add rain, gravel, mud, slope, wind, etc. and all bets are off even for an experienced rider.

The best motor officers I have seen are the ones in San Francisco - they can do amazing things on those hilly, curvy city streets.

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #15 of 25 Old 02-23-2019, 11:25 AM

Garage
You can practise slow speed stuff with a pedal cycle until really proficient. There is the weight difference but the skill is very similar, and beyond buying a cycle its cheap to drop

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #16 of 25 Old 02-24-2019, 12:11 AM

Garage
I'm a motor officer and was fortunate to receive 3 months of training (most motor schools are only 10 days long), and you can become very proficient following the advice on videos like "Ride Like a Pro", BUT, to get it real tight and get real good, you need to drop the motorcycle. You need to find it's limits and push the motor past it. What many units do to protect their motors during training is to use old fire hose and cut them to size and attach them to the crash bars with zip ties or wire. Also, remove the bags and top cases. The crash bars on Harley's and police outfitted R1200's and ST1300's are much more stout than what's on our K1600's, but it can be done.

This video isn't going to teach anyone anything, but it's the video that they played at our "Wheel School" graduation and I think it's pretty cool. This training is the the NYPD Highway Patrol and also includes high speed vehicle training (hence all the car stuff). I had the pleasure of attending during the months of December to February and rode in enough snow to satisfy me for the rest of my career!

Live to ride. Ride for a living.

Work - 2018 H-D NYPD FLHP
Personal - 2013 BMW K1600GTL

Last edited by mglax13; 03-24-2019 at 11:03 PM.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-24-2019, 12:12 AM

Garage
Also, if anyone lives in the NY metro area and wants to meet up, I have about 80 plastic cones and there's a marked out cone course in the parking lot of Nickerson Beach Park in Lido Beach and I'll go out with anyone who wants some tips and help with slow riding.
Meese, TarkusNY, vtx1800n1 and 2 others like this.

Live to ride. Ride for a living.

Work - 2018 H-D NYPD FLHP
Personal - 2013 BMW K1600GTL
post #18 of 25 Old 02-24-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx1800n1 View Post
I do have some very tiny traffic cones (~3" high) for that purpose, and I have the RLAP DVD. Need to practice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Take old tennis balls and cut in half.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #19 of 25 Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Here is a link to a page that has some great cone patterns that you can print out:

Cone Patterns

Scroll down the page 'till you get to the links .......... There are more there than you can possibly handle in a a day or two of practice.

For cones, cut tennis balls will work but I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here is a great video of a Motor Officers class:

Current Bike: '18 K1600B

Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT
post #20 of 25 Old 03-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
Take old tennis balls and cut in half.
Great tip!

I did this when I was teaching my GF to ride... we have a huge bag of them still, try to practice our skills each year. Finding a clean, large, empty lot is the trick—we were using the parking lot of a local community college until they kicked us out.

I'm near Northridge—if a few riders want to organize a morning to practice skills, I'd be happy to bring them and participate.

2016 GTLE
Clearwater Ericas, Darlas, Billy brake lights/Ilium Engine and Rear guards/Ilium Highway pegs
Kontour Magnum Seat/Utopia backrest/Neutrino Black Box/TPX Radar Detector/Removable Passenger Armrests/Mo-Door garage opener/Screaming Banshee Horn/Helite Turtle Airbag Vest

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page