Slow riding / maneuvering - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes
  • 7 Post By Donna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-24-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Slow riding / maneuvering

Hey guys,

Not wanting to hijack the other thread, Iíve been teaching my son to ride and slow riding is a key part. Rather than setting up cones, we are using a radio controlled car race track that has been painted in a local car park. Riding this at less than walking pace is a good way to learn especially if you pretend itís a two lane road.

I will admit his CBR500 is a little easier than the B but itís definitely a fun dayís learning.

And for kicks, trying it at speed is even more fun.

There are cars in the picture to provide scale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4E17DAE-0186-42FE-97FB-AA0E3C92747A.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	554.3 KB
ID:	125350  
Meese, ResQU, J-Luv and 4 others like this.

Donna
(Itís all fun until I break a nail!)
Pink and Black K1600B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-24-2019, 12:17 PM

Nice you are lucky to have something like that in your neighborhood to practice on

2013 K1600 GTL
post #3 of 3 Old 04-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Garage
That is a nice practice course. Nothing like that available to me but I still practice in a parking lot. I try to stay on or within a few inches of the long parking lines. Trying to stay as straight and still as I can while riding slower than walking speed. Slipping clutch and light drag on rear brake. Yesterday I had that skill tested for a little more than an hour. My wife and I went to see the California super bloom at the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve....so did, what seemed to be, the rest of the population that didnít go to Disneyland. Anyway, I found myself being challenged to maintain speed, balance and focus on a road that was not flat and level all the time. At times the crawl was sooo slow, I found it easier to just stop and wait till there was a couple car lengths in front of me to move up. Then Iíd stop and wait again. There were times when while moving very, very slowly, I would feel myself start to balance using quick steering movements, trying to not swerve much but I felt like it was a lot more moving than I wanted. I began to self evaluate as to the best action.... stop and wait for space, move and repeat or slow balance rope type movements? Duck walking is hard to do because of the foot pedals and it looks kinda out of control if done too much...

How about you? Any similar experience/ideas?

I honestly try to not ride faster than my guardian angel can fly , however....I know it's pooped by end of the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page