How & Why Delayed Apexes Work for Cornering - Page 6 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 52 Old 11-12-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksam View Post
Keep your eyes on the road at all times and give situational awareness your full-time attention. What curves are so sharp on public roads that you can't handle? If you are afraid of the road ahead then you're riding above your capabilities and slow down, and if you have to ride below the speed limit then you need to get off the road and into a motorcycle class with a private instructor on a closed circuit like a race track.

The roads where a GPS look-ahead would be helpful, like the dragon tail, are too challenging to take your eyes off the road anyway. Listen to your GPS voice commands, unless you got long-range visibility like on interstates, or Texas or Kansas or .......but then you can see the road ahead with your own eyes.

Periodic rider training, basically tests to see if you can still do maneuvers, I think are great and take them every few years. But they in no way replace riding over the local conditions. Worse, they give false confidence and perception on a pristine track. Besides, when you get used to speed and have racing skills then you won't be satisfied with common traffic. Everobdy knows it from long trips on the interstate, you get off the exit and all over a sudden 70 mph is the new 40 mph. Public highways are not a race track.
I think we are discussing past each other from disparate points of view. In my view situational awareness means being aware of whats coming without being able to see it so you can plan accordingly. In yours it requires seeing it so you can react in response. I wouldn't be comfortable with that only, and you are. Different styles. Its not like I don't prioritize the road ahead of me but I am also paying attention to mirrors, the sound around me, and the actions of all the other drivers/riders. Its just an overall awareness of which the GPS matters to me. Bottom line for *me* is that situational awareness means more than what you can see, if it didn't we wouldn't have useful tools like radar, sonar, and helmet slapping pillions.
GTLen and Kuzman like this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL

Last edited by earthling; 11-12-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: englishifying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 52 Old 11-12-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post
I think we are discussing past each other from disparate points of view. In my view situational awareness means being aware of whats coming without being able to see it so you can plan accordingly. In yours it requires seeing it so you can react in response. I wouldn't be comfortable with that only, and you are. Different styles. Its not like I don't prioritize the road ahead of me but I am also paying attention to mirrors, the sound around me, and the actions of all the other drivers/riders. Its just an overall awareness of which the GPS matters to me. Bottom line for *me* is that situational awareness means more than what you can see, if it didn't we wouldn't have useful tools like radar, sonar, and helmet slapping pillions.
I think you're right. I got wound up about Donna's GPS post.
I got no bones to pick, actually agree with what you wrote. Appreciate the video on late apex and value of straight lines. All good stuff in my book too.

Last edited by ksam; 11-13-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page