Head on a swivel vs target - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 09:40 AM

The most important thing for me, rule #1, is the road and surrounding conditions. Everything else comes in second. The things that come in 2nd place get me set up for the ride, but where the rubber hits the road determines everything.

Trust, but verify....

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Head on a swivel is exactly how you should be riding. Especially in high volume traffic. You have to know what's going on a half mile down the road and who's behind you at all times. Vehicles sitting at intersections not controlled by a light are a real treat because you just never know what they're going to do. I always ride leaving at least 3 car lengths in front of me and I always try ride at least 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit as to keep the cars behind me behind me. I only have one functioning eye so I have to be extra vigilant as to vehicles trying to hide in my blind spots. I check my mirrors at least once every 5 seconds and like DJ I play a mental game of who's going to kill me. I've been doing this for 52 years and have witnessed more motorcycle wrecks than I care to remember. Just about all of them were rider error, going to fast, riding in the wrong lane, passing at the wrong time and place, etc, etc, etc. Through all of this, amazingly, we all think riding motorcycles is fun. All I have to say is don't exceed your abilities or the bike's and ride safe out there.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IanI
I take the view that you need all available information in order to make the best decision. As to the twistys, everytingI come out of one I glance at the sat nav to where the next one is and how tigh it is. I use that info along with everything else when I get to to it. IPSGA.

Eccentric and proud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 12:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K16GTW View Post
I find after a day of riding ( non slab) I usually am mentally tired from just keeping focused , cars ,people on their phones, road conditions ,plus all the bells and whistles on the K keeping me tuned in to the bike even the pillion experiences fatigue after a good day of riding. Just can’t take the guard down to much out there to much to loose
And that makes total sense, as umpteen studies have shown that mental exhaustion causes people to feel physical fatigue as well. While everyone else seems to be echoing my thoughts that the road ahead is the priority, but you have to maintain other awareness as well to a lesser extent (GPS "snapshot" showing you a curve ahead, peeking behind to be sure no one's in the blind spot, etc.), what you just posted indicates another HUGE, related issue.

When you're mentally tired, stop for the day, regardless of how you think your body feels. When you start making mistakes or zoning out, it's time to head home if very close, or find a hotel, whichever applies. At minimum, if both of those are impossible, get some coffee.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #15 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Absolutely a well planned day is worth a lot on the road know when and where to stop could help avoid many troubles I am in construction and know what a hard day feels like that be said I have never felt like I was going to doze off on the bike but the truck can be a challenge late in the day driving into the sun
post #16 of 17 Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Hi guys,

As my last comments turned out to be so incredibly controversial I just thought I’d ask for a little more opinion.

For some, a glance at the GPS was noted as a concern as it distracted from an ‘eyes on the road’ approach. This was seen as the priority when in the tight mountain twisties. The greater focus being on the road surface, conditions, obstacles, animals, etc. The postulation was that this is the safer approach.

In contrast, my comments were that whilst a focus on the road was an obvious priority, it is far from the only priority. I also keep a focus on mirrors, dash, over left and right shoulder, GPS (if applicable), road signs, oncoming traffic, sun position, etc... I see no difference in the value that these information sources provide regardless of the difficulty or skill level the road may present. I also implicitly trust my ‘spider sense’...

What is the consensus? I’d love to hear the opinion. I’m off the bike for a few months after surgery so I’ve plenty of time.

Thanks
What you are saying in a nutshell is being totally aware of your surroundings; in front, behind and all around. I cant imagine why anyone would argue with that!
Donna likes this.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
2017 Indian Springfield
post #17 of 17 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Garage
Pilots have to be able to touch all switches with a blindfold on so that they are mentally able to know exactly where everything is in case of an emergency. This training ensures that they are aware, without thinking, of the position of each switch. they practice over and over until they can do it.
Your eyes in the case of a rider, have to be the same. You need to know exactly where everything is and be able to quickly scan in milliseconds so as not to defer from your road sense. If you find yourself searching to find whatever it is you are looking for, you have failed this step and need more practice.
Keep your eyes on the road, that's where problems arise.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page