Engine Braking and/or Trail Braking? - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 09-30-2019, 11:34 AM

Garage
In the spring, I was at Bob's BMW getting new skins installed and the new S1000RR came pulling in ridden by their factory racer. He was getting used to the bike before doing the complete race prep making it no longer street legal.
We got talking about the new technology on the bike and one very interesting thing was mentioned. The bike has an actuator that senses suspension compression in a turn and extends the actuator to de-compress the suspension and keep the bike from diving in turns.
So, there's technology that makes you a better rider and keeps the bike from diving in turns hmmmm. I guess that alone shows you that smooth is better and allowing the bike to dive isn't the fastest way through a corner.
Slight adjustments, smooth riding is fast riding.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 09-30-2019, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svfiat View Post
What part of I usually never use the rear brake didn't you understand ?
What part of my statement is unclear? Your first sentence implies that modern linked brakes activate the rear brake when applying the front brake. Take that sentence you wrote and link it to my statement. Shouldn’t be that difficult.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #23 of 29 Old 09-30-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnybow View Post
I guess that alone shows you that smooth is better and allowing the bike to dive isn't the fastest way through a corner.
Slight adjustments, smooth riding is fast riding.
Just to be clear, if you're trail braking is causing the front end to 'dive' then you're doing it wrong, very wrong.

Duane
djfalkenstein, earthling and WillH like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 Old 09-30-2019, 02:51 PM

Garage
I sorta merged 2 conversations into one topic, didn't i Duane.......my bad

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
post #25 of 29 Old 09-30-2019, 03:01 PM

Garage
I agree with both @Gunnert and @Jonnybow ; "smooth hands make for a fast ride" refers to what both are saying. Trail braking (in my humble estimation) is all about controlling the angle of attack, the degree of weight shift from back to front, by very carefully controlling the front lever; I call it feathering.

It (to me) is the measured and varying continuous application of the front brake. It is not "grab and squeeze"; on that, it sounds as though we agree. I'd also offer that, while not diving the nose of the bike, I am controlling the weight shift forward to increase my lean and arc, and rear to throttle out. Not diving in, a controlled application of brakes.

And by controlled, I use one (two at the most) fingers, and always when moving fast enough. Any braking within the arc of a lean is to be avoided at all reasonable costs, but the set up to that lean can be controlled very well using trail braking with throttle control.
post #26 of 29 Old 09-30-2019, 03:14 PM

Another attribute of trail braking not discussed in this post is the increase in tire patch contact, more contact equals more traction, etc. When I'm running 'hard' I brake all the way to the apex at which point I transition to the throttle.

Duane
J-Luv and Harryjames like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #27 of 29 Old 09-30-2019, 04:19 PM

Garage
Race ya Duane?
Gunnert likes this.
post #28 of 29 Old 09-30-2019, 04:32 PM

Thought you had a Bagger? I'd have to put the GT in Rain mode to make it even...

Duane
capav8r, J-Luv, earthling and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Gunnert; 09-30-2019 at 06:31 PM.
post #29 of 29 Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. Okay, silly as this may sound, I believe I AM using the skills prescribed both in the videos and as described by those who've posted. I've, purposely, tried to clear my head of all of the clutter and pay attention to how I'm riding versus the crazy jumble of instruction and discovered that, not only do I look ahead and choose, whenever possible, my line far in advance (keeping ahead of the airplane), I've been trail braking all along without knowing I was doing it. While I'd love to take some formal training, I'm convinced that I'm doing this, pretty much, as suggested in the videos and these posts. For the last couple of weeks I've simply been overthinking things. Again, thanks for the input.

Oh, and after reading some of the replies, here, I should probably say that I'm not engine braking (I do a little) but, as has been stated in this thread, I'm matching my revs to the corner, as required.

2018 K1600 GT Mars Red Metallic
► There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4.
► "I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol." — Steven Wright
► No government, constitution or law gives you any rights... breathing does.

Last edited by Vandaldog; 10-06-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page