Engine Braking and/or Trail Braking? - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 11-01-2019, 09:47 AM

Times have changed, e.g... I attended Lee Parks "Total Control" course about 15 years ago. Towards the end the instructors barely touched on 'trail braking' describing it as a very advanced technique used by racers. Fast forward to last weekend, a good friend of mine on an RT took the same course in Woodbridge, VA. Trail Braking was taught from the start of and emphasized throughout the course. JJ said trail braking was taught to be used 100% of the time on the street because it drastically increases rider safety. I agree. I've been trail braking 24/7 going on 3 years. You'd have to ask those that ride with me if I'm quicker, but I know I'm safer..

Duane
dwar likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels

Last edited by Gunnert; 11-01-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 11-01-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Times have changed, e.g... I attended Lee Parks "Total Control" course about 15 years ago. Towards the end the instructors barely touched on 'trail braking' describing it as a very advanced technique used by racers. Fast forward to last weekend and I good friend of mine on an RT took the same course in Woodbridge, VA. Trail Braking was taught from the start of and emphasized throughout the course. JJ said trail braking was taught to be used 100% of the time on the street because it drastically increases rider safety. I agree. I've been trail braking 24/7 going on 3 years. You'd have to ask those that ride with me if I'm quicker, but I know I'm safer..

Duane

Thanks Duane, was just looking online re the courses. Based on your experience and knowledge of these courses would you recommend starting off with the Beginner or Intermediate course for those that have logged many miles but without any formal training?

I am guessing your friend took the Intermediate at the very least where they talk about the throttle/braking on web. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom
2018, K1600GT, Mars Red
2015 K1600GT (sold)
2012 K1600GT (sold)

Last edited by Thomas; 11-01-2019 at 01:15 PM.
post #33 of 40 Old 11-01-2019, 12:52 PM

@Thomas , he took the Advanced Riders Course 1. If you've been riding for years without formal training this is the course you should attend first. My friend, JJ, was a 'bar hopper' for years who became a 'motorcyclist' 3 years ago when he purchased an R1200RT. I consider JJ a fairly new rider and the ARC1 was perfect for him.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 11-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Perfect. Thanks Duane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom
2018, K1600GT, Mars Red
2015 K1600GT (sold)
2012 K1600GT (sold)
post #35 of 40 Old 11-03-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Times have changed, e.g... I attended Lee Parks "Total Control" course about 15 years ago. Towards the end the instructors barely touched on 'trail braking' describing it as a very advanced technique used by racers. Fast forward to last weekend, a good friend of mine on an RT took the same course in Woodbridge, VA. Trail Braking was taught from the start of and emphasized throughout the course. JJ said trail braking was taught to be used 100% of the time on the street because it drastically increases rider safety. I agree. I've been trail braking 24/7 going on 3 years. You'd have to ask those that ride with me if I'm quicker, but I know I'm safer..

Duane
Exactly! Just normal riding.
post #36 of 40 Old 11-03-2019, 06:56 PM

As many others have mentioned, I've been using trail braking for many years without even realizing it. I use it on EVERY corner EXCEPT in conditions that indicate I might have less than adequate traction in an emergency (wet corners, ice melt slime, sand/gravel/aggregate, etc.). Yes, ice melt slime (for lack of a better term) has just been laid down in all the corners above 1500' on the highway I live on - Oregon Hwy. 138, the Umpqua/Rogue scenic byway. I live at 2500'. So yesterday I rode the GTL following the river down-valley the 1-hour minimum into town for my annual fill-up of non-ethanol premium, when I noticed the wet looking appearance of this crap they're already spraying down to minimize winter ice formation.

New to me, I decided to test the traction on this gelatinous-looking crud in a "controlled" experiment. Ie, it seemed to offer pretty good traction, but just how much traction would it provide in an emergency mid-corner full stop if a tree was suddenly lying across the road? So I scouted for a section that allowed full braking while not leaned over in the slightest. Air temp was 52 degrees at 3:00 in the afternoon. Lo and behold, the ABS kicked in WAY before it would have on a dry section of asphalt. Glad I confirmed that! Now I treat these corners as wet and brake well before initiating the turn, and treat the corner with a great deal of respect.

Back to emergency maneuvers mid-corner. This past summer I trail braked into a corner as usual (ie, read: spirited riding), picked my line and then saw a soft-ball sized rock in the middle of my lane. I spotted it in plenty of time, but picked the wrong action: I opted a high deviation to my line. This might have been fine except that it also turned out to be a decreasing radius turn. Luckily nothing was coming on the other side of the double yellow, as that is where I quickly ended up. And yes, it happened VERY FAST. Lesson learned: if a deviation is called for, select the low side to miss an obstacle so as not to become another M/C rider statistic.

2012 K1600GTL Silver 65kmi. & counting
'89 R100RT 65k mi. (sold)
'85 TREK 720 10k mi. (still riding)
'79 CB750K w/Windjammer 35k mi. (not forgotten)
post #37 of 40 Old 11-03-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1 View Post
As many others have mentioned, I've been using trail braking for many years without even realizing it. I use it on EVERY corner EXCEPT in conditions that indicate I might have less than adequate traction in an emergency (wet corners, ice melt slime, sand/gravel/aggregate, etc.). Yes, ice melt slime (for lack of a better term) has just been laid down in all the corners above 1500' on the highway I live on - Oregon Hwy. 138, the Umpqua/Rogue scenic byway. I live at 2500'. So yesterday I rode the GTL following the river down-valley the 1-hour minimum into town for my annual fill-up of non-ethanol premium, when I noticed the wet looking appearance of this crap they're already spraying down to minimize winter ice formation.

New to me, I decided to test the traction on this gelatinous-looking crud in a "controlled" experiment. Ie, it seemed to offer pretty good traction, but just how much traction would it provide in an emergency mid-corner full stop if a tree was suddenly lying across the road? So I scouted for a section that allowed full braking while not leaned over in the slightest. Air temp was 52 degrees at 3:00 in the afternoon. Lo and behold, the ABS kicked in WAY before it would have on a dry section of asphalt. Glad I confirmed that! Now I treat these corners as wet and brake well before initiating the turn, and treat the corner with a great deal of respect.

Back to emergency maneuvers mid-corner. This past summer I trail braked into a corner as usual (ie, read: spirited riding), picked my line and then saw a soft-ball sized rock in the middle of my lane. I spotted it in plenty of time, but picked the wrong action: I opted a high deviation to my line. This might have been fine except that it also turned out to be a decreasing radius turn. Luckily nothing was coming on the other side of the double yellow, as that is where I quickly ended up. And yes, it happened VERY FAST. Lesson learned: if a deviation is called for, select the low side to miss an obstacle so as not to become another M/C rider statistic.

Thanks for experimenting and sharing the results!
post #38 of 40 Old 11-09-2019, 12:46 PM

Garage
A long time riderís perspective on trail braking and lean angle and an example of you donít know what you donít know.

https://www.cycleworld.com/yamaha-ch...m_medium=email
Pitts likes this.

Dave

"14 K1600 GT
post #39 of 40 Old 11-10-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d martin View Post
A long time riderís perspective on trail braking and lean angle and an example of you donít know what you donít know.

Do you need a subscription to view the article? I didn't get any article content.

Chuck
post #40 of 40 Old 11-10-2019, 03:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straty1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by d martin View Post
A long time rider’s perspective on trail braking and lean angle and an example of you don’t know what you don’t know.

Do you need a subscription to view the article? I didn't get any article content.

Chuck
Nope

Try again

2012 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page