BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums (https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/)
-   BMW K1600 Suspension Setup, Tires and Wheels (https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-suspension-setup-tires-wheels/)
-   -   The infamous front end squeak: Help ID'ing the spot to lubricate requested (https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-suspension-setup-tires-wheels/100538-infamous-front-end-squeak-help-iding-spot-lubricate-requested.html)

Ton Up 08-19-2015 06:30 PM

The infamous front end squeak: Help ID'ing the spot to lubricate requested

I know there have been threads on here regarding the front end squeak.

As with most- my squeak has come and gone for the last many thousand miles.....

So my question is: can anyone (not speculating) cut and paste the MICROFICHE of the front end and point to exactly where the squeak is coming from and where to lubricate it with spray (whether that eliminates the root cause or not, or whether its a temporary fix is of no consequence at the moment- as I want to be able to get rid of it while on the road)

Thanks for everyone's input in advance.:grin:

reddingrdr 08-24-2015 11:30 PM

I'm in the same boat. It would be nice to know where to direct the lube.

Ron

JoeP 08-25-2015 03:19 AM

Ton Up 12-09-2015 09:48 PM

The front end squeak: my dealer fix, yes i'm answering my own thread!

Just letting you all know that my dealer replaced the upper shock mounting bushing with supposedly a newer superseding or upgraded part that BMW sent him. Said part may be on the newer bikes. He was very vague on the what's and why's of the upgrade (perhaps different type of rubber/bushing?) and I left the bike there because I had to travel- so I was not intimate with the process. It was all covered under warranty. it was only painstaking in the sense of awaiting a reply from BMW and then taking the bike back in, planning and scheduling etc....no charge though so I'm good to go- although I'm instructed to let him know if there is any more squeaking. So far so good but I've only ridden maybe 50-100 miles around town. I do still have the occasional sort of 'other' noise up there that I've had before which is when you hit a hard bump or holed up area- its kind of a 'slammy' sounding thing, but it's not the same as the squeak. So we will see how the future reliability of the front end does as well as what was the squeak!

They gave me a hard time about the oil I sprayed up there and the resulting gook, but hey I stopped at a Walmart parking lot in Colorado to buy some spray because I was going crazy after several thousand miles.

I hope this helps someone else!

steven 02-15-2016 07:51 PM

I also just had the front shock replaced on my 2013 GTL. the service manager also told me the shocks were redesigned and on new (how new?) bikes. he said the problem had been with the bottom bushing and pin bearings. he showed me the place on the old shock. will keep an eye on it over the next 7-8K miles, when the original shock started squeaking.

Ton Up 02-15-2016 07:56 PM

Amazing! So you got a different story than I and was told it was at the bottom and you got your shock replaced! Free? How many miles were on your shock? Mine had 14k when bushing was replaced but the squeak started about 8 k on and off until unbearable

steelerbeam 02-21-2016 12:32 PM

mine is going back to the shop for its 4th H2O pump and second front shock replacement. Both were last done 6/2014 so I am within the BMW 2-yr warranty so no cost. Shock replacement alone over $2K

Hallzee 02-21-2016 12:37 PM

My dealer acts like they've never heard of the "Front end squeak" whenever I bring it up....

Mole999 02-21-2016 01:54 PM

I'd be tempted to put dots of paint at all the possible joints and go for a ride, then check the alignment. bushes are generally an interference fit, so they flex and provide control, but shouldn't move, whether you could install a go-pro and get a visual record against an audible squeak ?

Ton Up 06-16-2016 03:05 PM

To conclude this and for everyone's benefit: My squeak came back after a few hundred miles. BMW then replaced the shock under warranty.