Side effects of side forces... - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 07-05-2016, 05:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
Absolutely, that tire was done miles ago. Riding a $30K bike a lot of miles a year with all the risks that come with that - tires are cheap and I never push them into the wear bars. Throw that crap out and put some new shoes on your bike!
Given I know nothing more about tires than the average joe....
When I look at that second enlarged picture and see the raised tread pattern thats not even or has consistent lines with the rest of the tire.. It makes me think that there is some sort of tread/carcass delamination happening. That's my fancy terminology for the damned thing is starting to come apart from the inside out. That's why I'd cut it in half to find out what's happening in those strange wear areas.

If it was, don't you know the Michelin man would be interested in it too.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gonna use the Multi-Quote on this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebob View Post
Not the pull. Under inflated and hard braking or aggressive cornering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorley View Post
That tire looks seriously under-inflated!
Quote:
For a bike ridden in a sporty manner, 6,000 - 7,000 miles sounds about right. That wear does look funky. How were the tires inflated?

Couldn't be too much underinflated. I know the TPMS ain't the most accurate thing out there but it was at 34 all weekend. As for aggressive cornering, I live in North Dakota...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
I see similar patterns when I come back from my Alps tour. New tire set toast after 3000-4000 km not because of thread depths but of saw toothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I had a PR4 do that and my bike did have the dreaded pull to the left. But in 32,000 miles (on my 2013) and probably five sets of tires, only one of them did it. And PR4s seem to be the one tire most succeptable to it.
The last PR4GT I had on the front carried me 9,000 miles... I have one hanging in the garage as an emergency spare that has a bit more than 3k on it and looks fairly new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
One things for certain, I wouldn't ride it to the mailbox like that.
It was Sunday and I was still about 350 miles from home... Fortunately I had a nice left crosswind and rode all the way home on the right side of the tire. :-)

Quote:
Absolutely, that tire was done miles ago. Riding a $30K bike a lot of miles a year with all the risks that come with that - tires are cheap and I never push them into the wear bars. Throw that crap out and put some new shoes on your bike!
You cannot see it in those pictures but the wear bars aren't even being touched yet. It's only totally wore out on the left side and the middle has about 75% of its original depth. I think I can get a picture of the wear bars....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160705_181405.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	654.8 KB
ID:	64378  

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #13 of 27 Old 07-05-2016, 10:08 PM

34psi is quite a bit less than the recommended 42psi. As the tpm could be off (as mine is) by 2 psi, you could very well be 10psi too low.
ResQU likes this.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
34psi is quite a bit less than the recommended 42psi. As the tpm could be off (as mine is) by 2 psi, you could very well be 10psi too low.
WTF???

Here I was all ready to argue the difference between "Maximum IAW the sidewall" and "Recommended by OEM" when I figured I should get my ducks in a row first so I sought out the PSI sticker on the bike and sure 'nuff, 42 front, 42 rear... I have NO idea how 34 front, 42 rear got stuck in my brain unless it's what the K11LT I rode for 16 years used....

Looks like all y'all who said "not enough PSIs" were right but I'll still argue that one cannot consistently corner aggressively in NoDak (although this tire has been through the Black Hills).
ResQU likes this.

--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smv View Post
WTF???

Here I was all ready to argue the difference between "Maximum IAW the sidewall" and "Recommended by OEM" when I figured I should get my ducks in a row first so I sought out the PSI sticker on the bike and sure 'nuff, 42 front, 42 rear... I have NO idea how 34 front, 42 rear got stuck in my brain unless it's what the K11LT I rode for 16 years used....

Looks like all y'all who said "not enough PSIs" were right but I'll still argue that one cannot consistently corner aggressively in NoDak (although this tire has been through the Black Hills).
I run 42 consistently in my front Z8, and in less than 4k miles it cupped badly. I noticed it because it sounded like I had a bad wheel bearing going at slow speeds. I ride straight mostly, not aggressive, and no left pull. I can understand the uneven wear due to the tread pattern, but it seems that some don't get that cupping on their front tires and some do. That is confusing for me. PR4 going on tomorrow, and looking at the tread on it, it will probably do the same thing, if not worse.

Darryl - Thanks for all you do!
RETIRED!
14BMWK1600GTL DGM
16BMWS1000XR Red
07HD FLHTCU Champion Trike
81CB750Bentforks$500
81 CB900 10speed 100HPOriginal $2.5K
81 CBX Orig 3Kmi 105HP $8K
81 CBX Frankenstein Trike $12K
1955 1st Chevy 3100 Pickup $30K
05 BMW X5
1990 Chevy 4x4
2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Coffintrailer $1K
post #16 of 27 Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 AM

Use a very high quality, accurate gauge. The gauges on my chucks (one Milton, one Chinese) are both off by 6psi or more. I have two race gauges supposed to be accurate to 1/2psi. I have verified both and they are spot on.
It really needs to be stressed, use a known accurate, high quality gauge.
maybeinoregon and ResQU like this.

Bob
post #17 of 27 Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleymarlboroman View Post
I run 42 consistently in my front Z8, and in less than 4k miles it cupped badly.
Z8s suck for mileage. I moved from a K11LT where I consistently got more than 10k from the rear to the K16 with an OEM Z8 and had metal showing at 5,200. My riding style and load has not changed a bit. I load it heavy and flog it when I can (when SWMBO lets me )
ResQU likes this.

--
post #18 of 27 Old 07-28-2016, 06:47 PM

I ride a 2014 GTL-E, mostly 1 up. I rarely use the breaks and drive moderately
aggressive.

I am on my fourth set of tires in just 26k. All my PR4- GT's have worn just like the picture.
At the dealers suggestion I have tried riding 44/44 psi. No difference.

At about 4,500 miles the side walls are toast, but there is plenty of tread.
I spoke with a rep from Michelin at the rally. He suggested 46 psi.

I am kind of chalking this up to the cost of motorcycling.
post #19 of 27 Old 07-28-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smv View Post
This PR4 GT has only 6k miles on it.

Looks like you live where most roads are straight. So, you are doing intersection corners. You brake much faster and harder for a right hand turn at an intersection vs. a left hand turn. So, more wear on the right side of the tire. The new dual compound tires seem to wear into a 1/2 of a hexagon shape anyhow.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-31-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Use a very high quality, accurate gauge. The gauges on my chucks (one Milton, one Chinese) are both off by 6psi or more. I have two race gauges supposed to be accurate to 1/2psi. I have verified both and they are spot on.
It really needs to be stressed, use a known accurate, high quality gauge.
Ok so what is the brand and model number of this "very high quality gauge"?

Frank Smith
2014 GTL
New Market, AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page