New RoadSmart III Review - Page 14 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 139 Old 06-12-2017, 07:07 PM

Garage
I just put a set of RS III's on. Only a few hundred miles so far, all city/freeway traffic. Am planning a weekend ride in a couple of weeks that will include road that will be more fun and give me a better idea about the tires. So far I like them, no complaints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 139 Old 05-13-2018, 12:47 PM

It is a resurrection , but now I have 10k Km on my R III's. They still look good to me, but I would like to know what is the max I should take them to. based on your experiences? Or should I just go and put new ones on? They cost me about 500 USD for both, so... Any advice appreciated.
post #133 of 139 Old 05-13-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi View Post
It is a resurrection , but now I have 10k Km on my R III's. They still look good to me, but I would like to know what is the max I should take them to. based on your experiences? Or should I just go and put new ones on? They cost me about 500 USD for both, so... Any advice appreciated.
If your just riding back and forth to work or 50-100 mile runs for fun I would keep them on. If your getting ready for a trip replace them.
amorley likes this.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 139 Old 05-13-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi View Post
You're asking a question that no one can answer. When the tread is gone you replace the tire. Unless, as Rick points out, you're planning on an extended trip.

Duane
Jonnybow likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #135 of 139 Old 05-13-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
It's within the realm of possibility.

I mean, technically, it's my opinion that tires could be made identically anywhere on the globe... if desired. Generally speaking, however, it's a function of the marketing teams within big OEM's to create the framework around product development... they are the ones who study markets and create bullet points of desired characteristics and determine what features would be competitive.

So... if the marketing teams find traits that they think will give them an edge, differentiated by region or whatever else... such things would certainly be on the table.
Oh my freekin God.....
Gunnert likes this.

Chris H (formerly known here as Charlie Fogg)

2018 K1600 GTL
2014 K1600 GTL (Gone)
2015 R1200 RT (Gone)
post #136 of 139 Old 05-14-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
You're asking a question that no one can answer. When the tread is gone you replace the tire. Unless, as Rick points out, you're planning on an extended trip.

Duane
Hi Duane. Thanks.
I rephrase: what is the max you guys took out of RIII's, before replacing, just so I have some idea? My concern is that they look good for at least another 4k km's, but I have never took any tires to that much before.
post #137 of 139 Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 AM

@Bobi , I got 8,000 miles out a set last summer. About 2/3 of the miles were during an extended road-trip 2-up. Riding alone I would expect at least 9,000 miles out of a set.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #138 of 139 Old 05-14-2018, 09:45 AM

Using a tire depth gauge helps determine how much wear and distance a person can expect from their tires. I measure the depth when any given tire is new and keep an eye on it as I put the miles on. For me personally, I have found I use roughly 1/32nd of an inch per thousand miles (rear tire) when measuring the center most grooves. But, road surfaces, temperatures, speed, rate of acceleration and packed weight all get factored in to help make it really hard to guesstimate tire life. I'm learning to trust the hmmm factor. When I'm getting ready to go on a trip of X amount of miles and the tread depth makes me go hmmmm, future inconvenient, out in the middle of nowhere tire swaps are lurking. Feel the hum.

'12 KGT Verthrillin' Red
post #139 of 139 Old 05-14-2018, 09:52 AM

Duane, thanks.
KCMO Steve, that is exactly my problem- I do not go hmmm when I look at the tires , or ride on them, but when I look at the odometer, my brain goes to hmmm zone...Anyway, thanks guys, I will try my luck, as I am not sure how much I will ride this summer, and hope not to learn answer to this the hard way. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page