My experience with the new Metzeler Roadtec 01 - and the China issue - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerblake View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I am currently dealing with the same
rep trying to compensation for a set of Z8 's that are cupping with 8500 km. And no, I have been diligent with tire pressure monitoring.
Interesting, my original set of Metzeler was down to the wire I believe in less than 5500 km. No chance for cupping.............

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP

Last edited by ViennaK; 02-05-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 04:28 PM

Try clocking the tire- rotating it on the rim 180 degrees. If the weights are the same, your problem is not with the tire- if you have a problem at all. If you can balance the tire so that there is no vibration at high speed. Who care how many weights it took to balance it?
sjs likes this.

Last edited by GTLen; 02-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 10:42 PM

The tires are fine, regardless of needing to be balanced.

The country of manufacture has no bearing whatsoever on quality.

Good luck with your demand for the dealer. IMO this kind of silliness makes it harder for people with actual issues.
StephenV likes this.

2018 K1600 GTL, Thunder Grey
"Ride like lightning, roll like thunder." - Kid Rock, American Badass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
sjs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
The tires are fine, regardless of needing to be balanced.
thanks I'll be able to sleep well now.

2016 K1600GTL - All Options
2012 R1200R Classic (gone)
1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
post #15 of 19 Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM

I too used to think it was strange when I'd pick up my rims from a local independent bike shop after he'd mount new rubber for me, and only my front wheel ever required weight. I'd always ask "the new tires balanced ok?" He'd always say "yep"

I bought myself a Parnes balancer adapter to bring to him (assuming he didn't have one). I went to his shop with it one day and I asked him if he had one of these things. He said nope. Then I asked him how he's been balancing my rear wheel. He replied "rear wheels don't need balancing. You'll never feel it if it's out a little bit. Your rear wheel has the goofy hole so I couldn't balance it."

I'm no longer a customer. If he'd have told me after my first tire change that he needs an adapter, I'd have gladly purchased one (not many other bikes like that here so I don't expect him to have every type of adapter). But he lied to me so I've moved on.

Maybe that's why your rear wheel doesn't have weights either?
post #16 of 19 Old 02-06-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
sjs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
Maybe that's why your rear wheel doesn't have weights either?
came like that from the factory... that said, I'm taking the bike to an independent tire shop to have the balance checked again.

1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
post #17 of 19 Old 02-07-2017, 12:11 AM

I gotta say, I'd be more than a little peeved, too. For at least the last 15 years I have been determined not to purchase Chinese goods if there is any other option. It always costs more: about 5 years ago my "lifetime guaranteed" Record vise (made in England) broke. Of course, Record refused to guarantee it because they stopped making that model. I found an 8" "imported" Wilton vise for $70; the same catalog had an 8" Wilton "Made in USA" vise for $200. That's what I bought. Was it worth 3 times the price? For me it was.

Yes, tire manufacturers build all over the planet. The tires on my truck are Toyos, manufactured in the USA; my wife's Toyos are made in Japan. They all wear fine; good tires (NONE made in China). And I'm sure China has figured out how to make a good tire, but,...

sjs had a reason to believe he was paying for a German tire. Maybe he should have looked at it first. He didn't get what he thought he was paying for. I say "take 'em to task" and get what you paid for.
Rick92040 and sjs like this.

Best,
Chuck
'14 GTL, Schrodie roundels, Dane lamps, Adaptiv TPX and Ricoh WG-M1 on RCU shelf, PDM 60, top case brake lamp w/Magic Strobe, Stebel Magnum horn, Lidlox, Kathy's Journey pannier organizer, BMW engine guards with Illium pegs, Nav V, C4 tip bars, Buck's arm rests, Wings/mini wings, RDL, and Chewy, the best dog ever.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-07-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
sjs

Garage
bit off topic but look at how Schuberth markets their hand made in Germany as a value added.. many of us care about stuff like this.

https://www.schuberth.com/us/company/about-us.html

1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
post #19 of 19 Old 02-07-2017, 08:37 AM

I've changed I think nine sets of tires on these bikes. I've changed about 20 sets of tires in general over the past couple of years. Tires I've mounted include Avon Storms 3D XM's, Dunlop Roadsmart original and 2's, Pirelli Angel GT, Continental Road Attack's, Michelin Pilot Roads original, II, III, and IV and a few others. I generally have installed each tire type at least twice.

Some manufacturers like Dunlop are good enough to put a dot on the tire to help us identify the light spot. Thank you Dunlop! That being said, even when I have the light or heavy spot marked from the manufacturer and locate the light spot with of the TPMS/valve stem I can need six to eight weights to properly balance the tires. When this has occurred I've rotated the tires around the rim when balancing to make sure I did not have the heavy spot in the wrong location and usually find there is just a very heavy spot on that particular tire.

It is more common that I need 2-4 of the 1/4 oz. weights which looks much better to my eye and makes me feel better but unfortunately there are times I need more than it seems I should need to get the balance right.

If it makes you feel any better I've not found this issue to be brand specific or country of origin. I've also seen some pretty hefty weights come off the rims which were stuck on there from the factory which would equate to about 6-8 1/4 oz weights. I wish I never had to use more than say four weights because I just don't like the look of it and feel the manufacturers should have better quality control but in the end, if they are properly balanced the tires should be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page