My experience with the new Metzeler Roadtec 01 - and the China issue - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
sjs

Garage
My experience with the new Metzeler Roadtec 01 - and the China issue

Ok, so I just learned something disturbing after doing what I though was the necessary due diligence before getting my first replacement tire set to replace my Metzeler Z8's... I went online, and even found a video of the factory tour where the 01's are made, showing a factory in Germany... It never occurred to me that maybe that's just the rear and that the front might be made in China... UNTIL

I had them put on yesterday and the first red flag what my otherwise perfectly balanced prior set of tires and rim now had a problem... the front rim now required no less than 8 (yes 8) weights to counter the new tires lack of balance... As expected, the German made rear tire required 0.. none, zilch... The front, which is made ion China however 8. The ugly black weights caught my attention but what woke me up was the discussion in the other thread where a member pointed out the fronts ARE MADE IN CHINA.. I confirmed it on the side wall. And yes, the rears are still made in Germany.

Hope fully this thread will come up on future searches so members can be more informed before they spend their money.

As for me, I will be demanding that the dealer work with their Metzeler rep to pay and remove my front tire... I will find a suitable EU/USA made replacement.. I don't think there is any harm in mixing brands on the same bike, and the rear is a darn good tire by all accounts.

Pardon the quality of the photo's but the lighting was bad... you can see BOTH sides of the wheel and the weights here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	: .jpg
Views:	474
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	77305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	77313  

2016 K1600GTL - All Options
2012 R1200R Classic (gone)
1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs View Post
Ok, so I just learned something disturbing after doing what I though was the necessary due diligence before getting my first replacement tire set to replace my Metzeler Z8's... I went online, and even found a video of the factory tour where the 01's are made, showing a factory in Germany... It never occurred to me that maybe that's just the rear and that the front might be made in China... UNTIL

I had them put on yesterday and the first red flag what my otherwise perfectly balanced prior set of tires and rim now had a problem... the front rim now required no less than 8 (yes 8) weights to counter the new tires lack of balance... As expected, the German made rear tire required 0.. none, zilch... The front, which is made ion China however 8. The ugly black weights caught my attention but what woke me up was the discussion in the other thread where a member pointed out the fronts ARE MADE IN CHINA.. I confirmed it on the side wall. And yes, the rears are still made in Germany.

Hope fully this thread will come up on future searches so members can be more informed before they spend their money.

As for me, I will be demanding that the dealer work with their Metzeler rep to pay and remove my front tire... I will find a suitable EU/USA made replacement.. I don't think there is any harm in mixing brands on the same bike, and the rear is a darn good tire by all accounts.

Pardon the quality of the photo's but the lighting was bad... you can see BOTH sides of the wheel and the weights here.
Just check the location of the weights. I bet they are on the opposite side of theTPM warning label. On all replacement tires that I got (5 sets so far) there was something like 60 grams in that location. Original Z8 had none, maybe the BMW specced Metz had a counterweight built in.

As to the front, find a German made Z8 front and you have a working combo. That combo is explicitly allowed and validated over here by the tire maker.
Over here you need some form of approval by the tire maker that the tire is tested for the intended use on a specific motorcycle. Takes some risk out of the equation.

And just relax a bit, I rode it for 3500miles and I am still alive and kicking
sjs likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #3 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 11:48 AM

Garage
Couple thoughts.

Are the weights opposite of the valve stem? The TPMS sensors are near the stem and most of us have discovered that most the wheel weights used end up in that location. 8 of them is a bit excessive though.

I don't think I would mix manufacturers of tires on my bike, others may disagree and that's fine. I personally want a set of tires on my bike that were designed to work together (tread patterns, rubber compounds, same rated sidewalls wether that be HWM, A-Spec etc..) so wet and dry handling are not sacrificed.

Edit, Vienna beat me to it! LOL

Another thought,
For as long as they last, you might just burn them out and look at what your going to put on next.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR

Last edited by Darbinco; 02-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
sjs

Garage
thanks for the comments... and while possibly true, I still feel cheated and pissed that I spent the better part of $200 (including install) for a Chinese tire.. I've owned many motorcycles and never seen this much weight put on, especially on such a small tire.

1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
post #5 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Garage
You brought a Metzler, the fact that its manufactured other than Germany is no biggie, unless Metzler say they don't manufacture there. They as has been said are required to build tyres to the same specification. All tyres are hand laid up. Adding weights to wheels to make them safer is why you do it, not to look pretty.

Did you ever ride original 70/80s Bridgestones, now they were larrie, along with a lot of other makes

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #6 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I am currently dealing with the same
rep trying to compensation for a set of Z8 's that are cupping with 8500 km. And no, I have been diligent with tire pressure monitoring.
sjs likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
sjs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole999 View Post
You brought a Metzler, the fact that its manufactured other than Germany is no biggie, unless Metzler say they don't manufacture there. They as has been said are required to build tyres to the same specification. All tyres are hand laid up. Adding weights to wheels to make them safer is why you do it, not to look pretty.

Did you ever ride original 70/80s Bridgestones, now they were larrie, along with a lot of other makes
Metzelers USA website emphasizes the German nature of the company, and has photo's of their factory iIN GERMANY.. no mention of China. Implied in their marketing is that it's a GERMAN MADE TIRE.

I've been riding 33 years, I've never seen this much weigh to a wheel to counter the build of a tire, I've owned TPMS bikes before and again, no need to offset that much weight... not even on an automotive wheel.

1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
post #8 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Garage
In reading about these tires, it seems that all the journalists that were invited to test the new tires in Germany raved about them. They especially loved the tour of the factory and being shown the actual tires being made. None of the journalists mentioned that only the rear tires were made in Germany.

David A.
IBA: 37338
BMWMOA: 139753
2012 GTL Mineral Silver Metallic
post #9 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 02:15 PM

BMW lists the TPS sensor as 0.07 lbs, which is 1.12 ounces, or 25 grams. Add the mounting bolt and the valve stem, and some normal tire variation, and I can see how you might get to 8 ounces of weights.

You could always unmount the tire, rotate it, and see if that lessens the weight needed. Or you could just ride off with a properly balanced tire and not really care how many weights are stuck way down there...

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 19 Old 02-05-2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
sjs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelhobbes View Post
In reading about these tires, it seems that all the journalists that were invited to test the new tires in Germany raved about them. They especially loved the tour of the factory and being shown the actual tires being made. None of the journalists mentioned that only the rear tires were made in Germany.
almost like the whole show was orchestrated to deceive and hide this FACT.

1999 Shadow 600 (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page