Pirelli angel gt a spec after two sets. - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 117 Old 05-20-2017, 01:07 AM

I'm on my third set of Angels. First set gave me just under 6k miles, with the front done well head of the rear. I'll admit that I was not as conscientious about air pressure as I should have been.

Just took off the second set with 8,900 miles, which surprised me. I did keep a close eye on pressure on these. I've also run two sets of Michelin prs. For me, hands down, the Angels give more confidence and better wear.

Best,
Chuck
'14 GTL, Schrodie roundels, Dane lamps, Adaptiv TPX and Ricoh WG-M1 on RCU shelf, PDM 60, top case brake lamp w/Magic Strobe, Stebel Magnum horn, Lidlox, Kathy's Journey pannier organizer, BMW engine guards with Illium pegs, Nav V, C4 tip bars, Buck's arm rests, Wings/mini wings, RDL, and Chewy, the best dog ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 117 Old 05-20-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjny01 View Post
Yes I have been doing it for decades never had an issue as long as you run similar tires.
You do know why thats not a good idea...right?

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
post #13 of 117 Old 05-20-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Great tire for grip but they really suck for longevity. best I could do after 2 sets is 4.1k miles front tie 5.5k rear. you can see the front going away at about 1k.
What the heck are you doing?? My current set have just over 15,000 miles and there's still a few more left. I've done well over 60,000 miles over several sets. I have found that pressures are important. Forget what the useless RCDS system tells you, get a manual gauge and run 42/43

"Enterprise" 2011 K1600 GT

The ultimate outback tourer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 117 Old 05-20-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumper View Post
I'm on my third set of Angels. First set gave me just under 6k miles, with the front done well head of the rear. I'll admit that I was not as conscientious about air pressure as I should have been.

Just took off the second set with 8,900 miles, which surprised me. I did keep a close eye on pressure on these. I've also run two sets of Michelin prs. For me, hands down, the Angels give more confidence and better wear.

On bikes this heavy tire pressures are everything. It's all about minimizing heat built up. I have had both a PR4 and an Angel GT front cup on me on the 1600. I've never had a front cup and wear that way on any other bike. I have been running higher pressures since then.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300...Prev 2013 & 2015 1600GT,
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS....2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT
post #15 of 117 Old 05-20-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
What the heck are you doing?? My current set have just over 15,000 miles and there's still a few more left. I've done well over 60,000 miles over several sets. I have found that pressures are important. Forget what the useless RCDS system tells you, get a manual gauge and run 42/43
I have a friend that gets the same type of millage, great guy but I wont ride with him. A ride that takes me 3 hours by myself takes 6 hours with him. Not much fun, but he does get good tire wear.

I always check TP before I ride and consistently keep it at 42psi.

My K16 is approximately my 50th motorcycle.

Last edited by cjny01; 05-20-2017 at 10:59 AM.
post #16 of 117 Old 05-20-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuy View Post
You do know why thats not a good idea...right?
I have never had an issue with mismatched tires. Working in a motorcycle shop I routinely get people taking off tires that have plenty of tread left and I have no problems slamming it on the bike.
bmac and Jonnybow like this.

My K16 is approximately my 50th motorcycle.
post #17 of 117 Old 05-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have a friend that gets the same type of millage, great guy but I wont ride with him. A ride that takes me 3 hours by myself takes 6 hours with him. Not much fun, but he does get good tire wear.
This is why it is good for forum members to describe their riding when quoting tire life and experience with handling.

Why I had a thread somewhere saying: "Show me your Chicken Strips and I'll tell you what kind of tread life you get."

From my perspective, getting 5,000 to 6,000 miles on a K1600 tire is good. Get more than that and you are focused on touring. Get less and you are having a great time exploring limits of adhesion.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #18 of 117 Old 05-25-2017, 02:00 AM

Garage
They are more "sport" than "touring". After a couple of sets I'm liking them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170325_131648 (800x450).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	85169  
Morgan likes this.

John
2018 K1600 GT - Option 719 Blue Planet w/forged wheels

2014 K1600 GTL - Magnesium Beige (past)
post #19 of 117 Old 05-25-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:

I always check TP before I ride and consistently keep it at 42psi.
We don't have a lot of mountains of twistys here. What we have is long straight very aggressive roads, designed to cope with huge down pours of rain in very short periods. The road surfaces combined with high temperatures, rip tyres to shreds. I can assure you, that how I ride is not sedate nor rarely, I average over 460 miles a week, every week. I keep pace or better than most other riders, in fact when I go touring, most people get left behind with +1000 mile days back to back the norm. What I probably do have is 90,000miles of practice with my right hand on this bike. When I first brought it just over four years ago, average tyre life was about 8-10weeks and about half the service interval. Now with lots of practice, throttle control is smooth and controlled and tyre life gets better and better. I'll drag pegs with sportsbikes and rarely loose the traffic light Grand Prix. I'm just much, much smoother with the throttle than I use to be. Even riding in the mud, and yes I'm talking off roading on it, I can get away with out seeing the DTC light flick on and off. Right hand control is everything if you want better tyre life.

Mis-matched tyres is the norm on dual sports. Different treads, brands and types is normal. Running the same front and rear is frequently seen as weird.

"Enterprise" 2011 K1600 GT

The ultimate outback tourer.
post #20 of 117 Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have had

Two sets of Michelin PR3s. They where just OK did nothing special. <6k Max.

One set Dunlap RSII better then the PR3 but they where just OK did nothing special. <6k Max.

One set of Michelin PR4s. Worst tire I have ever had on any bike. Front end stepped out 4 or 5 times and the rear steeped out EVERY TIME I RODE THE BIKE. GARBAGE. Could not wait to get them off the bike. 6.5K

Two sets rear three front of Pirelli Angel GTs A spec for the most part, first front was not a spec. Great grippy tire fronts only give 4k rear 5.5k
Were you running the PR4GT tires? Or just the PR4 spec on the K16GT.
I'm surprised that you hated them and they "stepped out" on you. I'm having very good performance from mine and I have pushed them pretty hard.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page