Nail in rear tire. - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM

I have never had a failure on any tire that I've plugged. (In the last 40 years over 20 times) I figure the odds of the fix failing is the same as getting another nail. I'm happy with my decision. If you want to buy another tire it's your money. I don't care either way.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 08-24-2011, 03:44 PM

I own a service station and have used the safety seal plugs and have used them first hand on several of my motorcycle tires over the years without any problem. The one time I picked up the motorcycle from the dealership after having some maintenance done including replacing both tires, went home and packed it up for a 3000 mile trip, made it to the next town (about 10 miles away) and my tire was flat. I found to allen wrenches in the tread and one having poked back out the sidewall. I installed 3 safety seal plugs into the tire and went on my trip. I still had the tire on the bike when I sold it 10,000 miles later.

12 K1600GTL - #612
08 HD Fatboy Anniversary Edition
BMW MOA Life Member #89692
AMA Life Member #321559
post #13 of 19 Old 08-24-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOCook View Post
Beekeeper, I hear ya. We all have our personal worries. My approach is a little different. I try to face my fears and learn to handle my motorcycle in the scenario that concerns me. For that, I regularly go to the track (instructor). For the issue you just described, I would urge you to find an instructor / school which offers a dirt course.
Yeah, like anyone can really 'learn' how to handle a catastrophic motorcycle tire failure. Despite macho "I can handle anything due to superior experience and training" attitudes, we MAY be able to get the bike under control and stop safely, but, depending on the nature of the failure, we may not, no matter how good we are.

No amount of training can overcome physics. Gravity makes stuff fall down - and a flat tire on an inherently unstable two-wheeled vehicle can take down any rider, no matter how experienced or well-trained. Yes, some experience in unstable surface riding may help when the time comes, but off-road riding experience won't do much for a blow-out on a heavy paved-road machine like the GTL, and I have experience in both scenarios.

In this year's Iron Butt Rally, a rear tire failure took down a very experienced rider, on a flat, straight section of highway only 5 miles from the finish - this was an IBR multiple-rally rider with many years of other rally and riding experience - one minute contempating the finish of an 11,000-mile 11-day epic, the next minute tumbling through LA rush-hour traffic, with the BMW GSA totaled.

Compared to any other vehicle, tire failures on motorcycles result in a much higher percentage of resulting accidents. It is the nature of the beast, and therefore incumbent on riders who care about their skins to ensure that this element of risk is minimized - whether replacing a tire with thin tread before the wear bars emerge, or swapping out a tire that was flatenned by a nail just in case there's a hidden cord cut... I would NEVER ride more than the distance needed to replace any tire that has gone flat for any reason. It is also smart to replace any motorcycle tires that are 6 years old, regardless of wear, and any car tires over 10 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM

dmfick,

A lot of good information. I have replaced front tires with nails and patched rear, not plugged if they were new and the nail was near the center of the tire. After reading what you said about the IBR, I might not do it again.

Are there any more details on the accident 5 miles from the finish. Normally a flat rear tire does not cause a bike to go down. I've had several rear flats and there were not a big deal, except for the delay and getting the tire fixed.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM

I guess I'm not that good of a rider that I want to chance things. Spending $300+ for a new tire just may save my skin and provides me with much needed piece of mind. Can't really put a price on that.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 PM

KO,
I believe all training adds to ones ability to handle riding situations. I have taken rider safety courses and have attended a couple of track days. When I said, I had trouble with road snakes etc I was only referring to riding with a plugged tire. (and no tire pressure monitor) To me it is worth it to replace a defective tire for the piece of mind that I know I have done all that is in my control to have a safe bike. I also replace my own tires so cost is less of an issue.

-6- Pure***magic

Western Mass.
K1600GTL

Last edited by Beekeeper; 08-24-2011 at 10:20 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 PM

I had a rear tire go down on my Wing, while in my garage. Nail in it. The Sunday morning that I was leaving for a 5500 mile trip. I found a custom shop that would open up to fix it on a Sunday. He didn't have the right size tire so he put a tube in it. He said it was safe and that almost all Harleys run tubes. I drove it the 5500 miles and then replaced it. Anyone have opinions about putting a tube in a tubless tire?
post #18 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 AM

I'm with DanDiver on this one. Fronts get replaced; rears get the plug. I have had 90% success with plugs. One plugged rear tire on a goldwing resulted in a slow leak, so I replaced the tire. Just check the pressure daily for a while and you'll know if the the plug was a success or not. It's not gonna fall out. It will either leak or it won't.
In answer to High Oc, tubes do work, it's just that if you're gonna pay to have the tire removed, mind as well just replace the tire (with your obvious exception of no correct tire). Tube tires run hotter and are more prone to blow out.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Has anyone had any experience of the Cargol system?

http://www.gryyp.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page