Ride-On tire sealant and balancer installed today! - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Ride-On tire sealant and balancer installed today!

I just installed the Ride-On tire sealant and balancer in my 2018 K1600 GTL today. I was kind of skeptical but read lots of good things on this product. It was very easy to install and I am impressed. It is a great product.

The first couple of miles the bike seemed different, but after about 5 miles it totally smoothed out. Even better than before the treatment. It almost feels like a different ride setting on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 AM

Garage
Let us know if your tire pressure monitors keep working. Some have said they get gummed up. You can set it straight with your experience.
slowflyn and Direwlf like this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #3 of 17 Old 05-20-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
Let us know if your tire pressure monitors keep working. Some have said they get gummed up. You can set it straight with your experience.
So far so good! I read that BMW has a sealed TPMs, but maybe some still have had issues. The bike feels super balanced and it is very noticeable when driving it.

When the stuff is in the tire it will ride in the middle 1/3 of the tire basically. Now if you put it in wrong, I could possibly see an issue with a TMPs. For example, you wouldn't want the valve stem between 10 and 2 o'clock. I suppose because it would than cover the TPMs and the inside of the rim, instead of the inside of the tube.

When I got home, I noticed an ounce was still left in the bottle, I pulled the valve core and the air came out with no Ride-Sealant. I added the ounce and refilled the tire and redistribute it with a short ride.

I mainly wanted it for if I got a nail, I could pull it and it would seal. No messing with plugs, though I have them. But I will say it does make the bike smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-22-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwlf View Post
I read that BMW has a sealed TPMs.
Not sure if there is such a beast. Not only does the TPMS sensor needs to "sense" the pressure inside the tire for it to work, the TPMS assembly needs to pass air in and out of the valve stem in order to inflate the tire and set pressure.

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #5 of 17 Old 05-22-2018, 02:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Not sure if there is such a beast. Not only does the TPMS sensor needs to "sense" the pressure inside the tire for it to work, the TPMS assembly needs to pass air in and out of the valve stem in order to inflate the tire and set pressure.
Incorrect. It can be sealed and still sense pressure. Also, the TPMS isn't part of the valve stem, there is no relation between the TPMS and are going in or out of the valve stem.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-22-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post
Incorrect. It can be sealed and still sense pressure. Also, the TPMS isn't part of the valve stem, there is no relation between the TPMS and are going in or out of the valve stem.
Incorrect. There is no such thing as a "sealed" pressure transducer/sensor. There often is a diaphragm or disc that separates the sensing element from the fluid pressure it's meant to sense. The transducer is internally calibrated assuming the fluid pressure act across that barrier uniformly, creating a deformation of that barrier that then act upon the internal sensing element. If that barrier gets gunked with stuff, the contaminant may prevent the barrier from deforming as it was originally calibrated. The result is either incorrect pressure reading or, in more severely contaminated cases, no pressure reading at all.

See here for a simple explanation of a typical pressure transducer. Fundamentals of Pressure Transducers | Hydraulics & Pneumatics

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PT.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	118608  

2014 K1600GT Sport
post #7 of 17 Old 05-22-2018, 03:55 PM

Garage
If you missed it, here's an excellent thread...
https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...how-works.html

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
post #8 of 17 Old 05-22-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I understand! I will run it and if I have issues it's no big deal for me anyways! I really do think once the stuff is settled where it is supposed to run, there shouldn't be an issue. I may be wrong and will be the first to post if I do have one. Thanks for the info!
post #9 of 17 Old 05-22-2018, 04:20 PM

Garage
I've used ride-on for 48,000 miles in my K1600 - that's about 18 sets of tires - and I've never had a TPMS sensor fail because it was gunked up, so it's sealed enough for my purposes. The sensors on GL1800's are another story - I have first-hand knowledge that ride-on kills them. As always, YMMV.
Direwlf likes this.

Kevin
'13 K1600GTL
'16 S1000XR
post #10 of 17 Old 05-22-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbird66 View Post
I've used ride-on for 48,000 miles in my K1600 - that's about 18 sets of tires - and I've never had a TPMS sensor fail because it was gunked up, so it's sealed enough for my purposes. The sensors on GL1800's are another story - I have first-hand knowledge that ride-on kills them. As always, YMMV.

I have complete faith in it as well. And I also have heard that on Gls. The nice thing is, it is very easy to reverse if the desired effect is not obtained. And a TPMs going out is not a piston. Bet dollars to donuts she will be fine (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page