New Pirelli Angel GT II - Heavy version too. - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 04-20-2019, 06:46 PM

Garage
Bang for the Buck

Will wait for feedback on the new Angel tyres but until then am very happy how the Dunlop RS III have been great all rounder for long haul out back rides. The handling when the bike is fully loaded for touring is outstanding an with a 10K plus ride coming up keen to see what kilometres the tyres achieve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Garage
On a German forum agentleman has posted a message about his experiences with Pirelli Angel GT 2. He does mention that he did not have an A spec front tyre. He appears to be quite satisfied with this Pirelli.

Post here:

BMW-K-Forum.de - K1200S.de + K1200RSport.de + K1200GT.de + K1300GT.de + BMW-K1600GT.de + BMW-K1600GTL.de ? Thema anzeigen - Freigabe - Pirelli - Angel GT 2 A - K 1600 GT/GTL - alle Bj.

Please, use Google translator if you find the topic insteresting.
RL Lemke and dobervol like this.

2015 R1200RT, Pirelli Angel GT II (A), Motul 5100 10W40, Mahle OC 306, V-Stream Z2463
post #23 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harley View Post
On a German forum agentleman has posted a message about his experiences with Pirelli Angel GT 2. He does mention that he did not have an A spec front tyre. He appears to be quite satisfied with this Pirelli.

Post here:

BMW-K-Forum.de - K1200S.de + K1200RSport.de + K1200GT.de + K1300GT.de + BMW-K1600GT.de + BMW-K1600GTL.de ? Thema anzeigen - Freigabe - Pirelli - Angel GT 2 A - K 1600 GT/GTL - alle Bj.

Please, use Google translator if you find the topic insteresting.
Thanks much for this. The writer has a GT now, but came off a GTL, and had installed Wilbers on it, and says he rides mostly mountain passes, so he would seem to have more than just narrow experience. Additionally, the riders on that forum, as here, seem to have the Dunlop RS as the most popular choice, so he was able to make a direct comparison, having been a long-time fan of the Dunlops.

Recommended reading for anyone who likes to do mountain or canyon riding and is deciding on tires, be ye of the GT or GTL persuasion.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 Old 05-02-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobervol View Post
Recommended reading for anyone who likes to do mountain or canyon riding and is deciding on tires, be ye of the GT or GTL persuasion.

Each person translating = not very efficient. One person translate and post translation = more efficient:

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_Hubraum
Re: Release - Pirelli - Angel GT 2 A - K 1600 GT / GTL - all

Contribution of displacement Ľ28.04.2019, 15:05
Hello community,
After countless Roadsmarts 3, I have now mounted the Pirelli Angel GT2 and moved it so far about 5,000 km mainly in the Dolos.
It must be said that I have not mounted the A-label with the front tire, as this was unfortunately not available. First, a few words to the Road Smart 3, which was a loyal companion for a long time, but unfortunately has become increasingly unpleasant in my new GT (previously GTL).
As good and great as the RS 3 on my GTL worked - perhaps also due to the Wilbers chassis, unfortunately, the tide turned on the GT. The front tire became extremely tippy after increasing mileage and almost impossible to drive towards the end. The moped fell literally into the curve, so you could get really scared. The front tire became extremely pointed - probably due to the 2 rubber compound, that the tread - side surface tread ratio was no longer uniform and the tire became virtually oval.
Strangely, my colleague of a GTL drives the same tire image available, which is why the tire was no longer mobile with him. So either the mixture of the rubber was somehow changed or the difference was really on the Wilbers chassis of my GTL. For those who drive more straight roads and fewer passes, this tire may still be the right choice.
Now for the Angel GT2 - I drove this tire in the beginning on the GTL although this was not allowed for this. But he had already convinced me then - for a long time had mounted only this tire. Only the mileage was quite modest with 3500 to 4000 km. The GT2 convinces with its great handling, the rubber is worn down evenly - in other words the tire does not drive a bit tippy after about 5,000 km so I would even like to say it on the first day. The mileage will be with me so at Max. 6000 km for this tire. If you take a closer look at the front tire, with me by the braking already so - how should I say "teeth" to see what makes the tire maybe a little louder and I feel in a slightly leisurely cornering you can feel this if you are careful slight vibrations on the handlebar. However, this does not bother - especially not for a real corner orgy on the mountain - you drive through this even after high mileage as on rails without the machine invades the curve.
My conclusion: super tires with plenty of grip creates extreme confidence with fast cornering by no means tippy and yet a much better mileage than its predecessor. For frequent curve drivers definitely the right choice for the 1600s!
post #25 of 43 Old 05-04-2019, 12:30 PM

I just had a pair mounted on Thursday, but downstate NY looks to be a washout this weekend. I am coming off a pair 7500 mile, squared off PR4's.

I am doing a 5-day New Hampshire weekend soon, so I will have lots of highway and twisties experience to report back on.

ó Never cross a "bridge", without checkin' out the view! - me

ó Life is too short to drive an ugly car. -me
post #26 of 43 Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 AM

I just ordered Dunlop RS III before I saw that the new Angel GT's were introduced. I went through many sets of the previous version...great tire. I like these Dunlops a lot too.

Chris H (formerly known here as Charlie Fogg)

2018 K1600 GTL
2014 K1600 GTL (Gone)
2015 R1200 RT (Gone)
post #27 of 43 Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
Iíve used Angel GTs almost exclusively on my GTL and XR (A-spec on the GTL), but mounted a set of RS3s for the TTD. Riding mostly 2-up, we destroyed the rear in 1083 miles - worst cupping any of us had ever seen on a tire (Iíll post a pic next week). Even new, the RS3s didnít feel as planted as the Angel GTs - the front was less stable under braking, and the rear squirmed a bit under acceleration.

My only complaint with the Angel GTs is the narrow profile of the front tire, which then becomes pointed quickly in the twisties. I have a set of Angel GT 2s on the XR, and the front has a much rounder profile than the original. The 2s have the same great grip in both wet and dry conditions, and at 1200 miles, they are wearing better than the originals. Iíve ordered a set of A-specs for the GTL and will provide an update at the end of their lifespan.
Chris H and 6xGrins like this.

Kevin
'13 K1600GTL
'16 S1000XR
post #28 of 43 Old 05-06-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbird66 View Post
Iíve used Angel GTs almost exclusively on my GTL and XR (A-spec on the GTL), but mounted a set of RS3s for the TTD. Riding mostly 2-up, we destroyed the rear in 1083 miles - worst cupping any of us had ever seen on a tire (Iíll post a pic next week). Even new, the RS3s didnít feel as planted as the Angel GTs - the front was less stable under braking, and the rear squirmed a bit under acceleration.

My only complaint with the Angel GTs is the narrow profile of the front tire, which then becomes pointed quickly in the twisties. I have a set of Angel GT 2s on the XR, and the front has a much rounder profile than the original. The 2s have the same great grip in both wet and dry conditions, and at 1200 miles, they are wearing better than the originals. Iíve ordered a set of A-specs for the GTL and will provide an update at the end of their lifespan.

Your the only person I've heard of with a problem with the Dunlops. I wonder if it was balanced correctly. I've gone through about 8 pair with no issues.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #29 of 43 Old 05-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Garage
Wow, I put over 7k miles on a set of RS3's, two up pulling a Bushtec trailer. Never had an issue with them. I liked how they rode the same all of the way to the end. I probably could have gotten a few more miles out of them, but had a 2500 mile trip coming up and knew they won't go that far.

Sent using Tapatalk

"I know I was born, I know that I will die, the in between is mine" Pearl Jam
post #30 of 43 Old 05-06-2019, 07:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
Your the only person I've heard of with a problem with the Dunlops. I wonder if it was balanced correctly. I've gone through about 8 pair with no issues.
It was balanced correctly and operated at the correct pressure - 42 lb cold, verified by TPMS and analog gauge. I guess it's possible that it had a manufacturing defect.

Kevin
'13 K1600GTL
'16 S1000XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page