Incredible! - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 05-12-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

[quote=Ron Coleman;2407040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyarch View Post
I took my bike, a 2018 K1600 GT, in for a 6K check. I prepared myself for the Bren tune to be erased, thought that was the worse thing that could happen. I get a call that there is a problem and apparently the paint peeled off a quarter of the front wheel. Just delaminated and peeled right off! They were changing the tires, but don't know what you would do with a tire changer to peel the paint off a wheel.

They are calling BMW to see if they will cover the new wheel. Bike is a few months outside the factory warranty but has the full extended warranty. Garage kept, ridden in the rain once or twice. No way I'm paying for a new wheel, not even sharing in the cost in any way. What a joke my experience with BMW has been. I'm ready to give up on this bike.[/quote

And the Bren tune? Inquiring minds want to know.
Don't know yet. I never got the bike back. I will let you know. If it is erased I don't really fault anyone though, I knew that was a possibility when I did it.

2018 K1600 GT
2009 Hayabusa
2007 1250 Bandit - sold
2007 1250 Bandit - totaled
SV650 - Sold Unfortunately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Got the bike back. BMW forked up another wheel. I was never allowed to see the damaged wheel. Since they covered it I didn't push. Obviously now I wonder if the other wheel and engine paint will show similar paint problems. Just not the ownership experience you expect from a $30K bike.

The Bren tuning appears to be partially gone. The throttle is not as slow as stock, but the bike is lethargic. Humm. I'm guessing the BMW flash did not re-map throttle so Bren flash partially survived. Or maybe I'm being positive (for a change). In any event, I'll need to reflash. Just not getting along well with the BMW.

2018 K1600 GT
2009 Hayabusa
2007 1250 Bandit - sold
post #13 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 11:40 PM

Garage
Glad they covered the wheel, but the Bren tune barely surviving is a bummer. As luck would have it my bike abruptly went into limp mode on the freeway last weekend, but fortunately not at speed due to construction zone. No luck in trying to get it to reset by shutting off the bike. It’s at the dealer now, so waiting to hear they find...probably won’t get to it until after the holiday. I’ve only had the tune for a couple of months, but got the bike in for the latest software update at the time prior to pulling the ECU. So I’m hoping the throttle failure doesn’t involve another software update to fix it, possibly wiping the tune.
crazyarch likes this.

2018 K1600B: Forged Wheels; RDL Seat; 7Jurock Windscreen; Clearwater Betsys/Darlas; Ryan’s Handlebar Risers; Wunderlich Stuff; Ilium Saddlebag Guards; HEX ezCAN; Bren Tune

“Critical thinking...the last frontier.”

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Got the bike back. BMW forked up another wheel. I was never allowed to see the damaged wheel. Since they covered it I didn't push. Obviously now I wonder if the other wheel and engine paint will show similar paint problems. Just not the ownership experience you expect from a $30K bike.

The Bren tuning appears to be partially gone. The throttle is not as slow as stock, but the bike is lethargic. Humm. I'm guessing the BMW flash did not re-map throttle so Bren flash partially survived. Or maybe I'm being positive (for a change). In any event, I'll need to reflash. Just not getting along well with the BMW.
It would be interesting if that is the case. Are you sure they didn't stick it in Rain mode or something? Typically it wouldn't be normal to have part of a map overwritten its either all there or not. GL either way and glad it came back. BMW is typically pretty good when it comes to paint.
crazyarch likes this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #15 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Coleman View Post
Glad they covered the wheel, but the Bren tune barely surviving is a bummer. As luck would have it my bike abruptly went into limp mode on the freeway last weekend, but fortunately not at speed due to construction zone. No luck in trying to get it to reset by shutting off the bike. It’s at the dealer now, so waiting to hear they find...probably won’t get to it until after the holiday. I’ve only had the tune for a couple of months, but got the bike in for the latest software update at the time prior to pulling the ECU. So I’m hoping the throttle failure doesn’t involve another software update to fix it, possibly wiping the tune.
One of the '18 K1600GT riders had a similar issue during our TTD even in NC a couple of weeks ago; unloaded the bike from his motorhome and motor went into limp mode. He took it to the dealer in Asheville. Day and half later he picked it up, mechanic told him the ECU was loose, e.g. not fully connected. (owner had recently reinstalled the ECU after Bren Tuning). The mechanic then told the owner he went one step further, just to be on the safe side, and re-flashed the ECU, e.g. Bren Tune deleted.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels

Last edited by Gunnert; 05-24-2019 at 06:52 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
One of the '18 K1600GT riders had a similar issue during our TTD even in NC a couple of weeks ago; unloaded the bike from his motorhome and motor went into limp mode. He took it to the dealer in Asheville. Day and half later he picked it up, mechanic told him the ECU was loose, e.g. not fully connected. (owner had recently reinstalled the ECU after Bren Tuning). The mechanic then told the owner he went one step further, just to be on the safe side, and re-flashed the ECU, e.g. Bren Tune deleted.

Duane
Grrrrrr....thanks for nuthin’

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); ‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); ‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
post #17 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post
It would be interesting if that is the case. Are you sure they didn't stick it in Rain mode or something? Typically it wouldn't be normal to have part of a map overwritten its either all there or not. GL either way and glad it came back. BMW is typically pretty good when it comes to paint.

Well my feeling that the tune was partially deleted is admittedly sketchy and probably optimistic. I only rode the bike for about an hour. But it is what it is. Either way it appears that the dealer can ruin the bike again if they flash it, lol!

SMH. Not the way it's supposed to be on a premium motorcycle.

2018 K1600 GT
2009 Hayabusa
2007 1250 Bandit - sold
post #18 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Well my feeling that the tune was partially deleted is admittedly sketchy and probably optimistic. I only rode the bike for about an hour. But it is what it is. Either way it appears that the dealer can ruin the bike again if they flash it, lol!

SMH. Not the way it's supposed to be on a premium motorcycle.
With respect; BMW took care of your wheel and your still unhappy because a part failed? There is not a machine made that doesn't suffer a failure. Humans make mistakes, so do machines.

Don't disagree, we have high expectations of these bikes and rightfully so, sadly the price we pay for a K1600 is not more than you would pay for a Honda, Yamaha, Harley, Indian, could go on and on. You could even make a case for our bikes being a real value.

The tune issue is not BMW's problem. They only have a responsibility for the OE build.

Hope the bike works out for you.

Scott

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
post #19 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
1. While many/most won't want to do it to their bikes, I'm now certain that if you ride it like a boy racer, the stock ECU will change the mapping and throttle response temporarily to lightning fast. Maybe it's to allow the bike to wheelie; I don't know; but after it happened to me once, I tried to replicate it, and it did it again, so obviously, it has one of those logarithms designed to sense and then perform the way you're riding.

2. Duane's example pointed out that unless the contacts are clean and the thing is fully seated, the ECU can still partially work (you'd think it would either work, or not at all), but will cause all sorts of problems, making people think something else crazy is wrong. It's rare, but several people in the K12 community with older bikes had strange gremlins, took out the ECU, blew out the contacts with compressed air, put it back together, and it fixed it. Since it takes less than a minute to do it, if you have strange behavior and nothing else jumps out at you, making sure the ECU is seated (on a newer bike, doubtful the contacts could have any dust in them) is worth a check.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page