Incredible! - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Incredible!

I took my bike, a 2018 K1600 GT, in for a 6K check. I prepared myself for the Bren tune to be erased, thought that was the worse thing that could happen. I get a call that there is a problem and apparently the paint peeled off a quarter of the front wheel. Just delaminated and peeled right off! They were changing the tires, but don't know what you would do with a tire changer to peel the paint off a wheel.

They are calling BMW to see if they will cover the new wheel. Bike is a few months outside the factory warranty but has the full extended warranty. Garage kept, ridden in the rain once or twice. No way I'm paying for a new wheel, not even sharing in the cost in any way. What a joke my experience with BMW has been. I'm ready to give up on this bike.

2018 K1600 GT
2009 Hayabusa
2007 1250 Bandit - sold
2007 1250 Bandit - totaled
SV650 - Sold Unfortunately
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Hmm, I had it happen on my Mercedes once, out of warranty and they gave me a new wheel. Sometimes powder paint can fail if a small contaminant is inadvertently left before powder is applied.
How can a 2018 be out of the warranty? Because of the fit/finish warranty? Dealer will most always cover that even if they have to eat it.
Hope you have a good dealer.
crazyarch likes this.

2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL -SOLD-
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
post #3 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Garage
They probably used a pneumatic tire changer and either the clamping arm or the rotating arm rubbed the wheel.
When I was working at a dealership, we had the customer sign a release indicating that if our machine bent his wheel, it wasn't the shops fault (!). Go figure. Would hope that a BMW shop would employ a high level of technician.

2012 BMW K1600GT - Akropovic exhaust, Aeroflow screen, Ilium crash bars and highway pegs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 12:16 PM

BMW warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Honestly, if this one little thing has you upset enough to override everything wonderful about this bike and thus dump BMW entirely, even before they have addressed the issue for you, then perhaps you are better off just walking away...
GRB60, TCinWA, rbednar and 4 others like this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
BMW warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Honestly, if this one little thing has you upset enough to override everything wonderful about this bike and thus dump BMW entirely, even before they have addressed the issue for you, then perhaps you are better off just walking away...
Think he's just venting, expect your bike back and BAM an issue...
Keyboard 'enter' button make it all too easy.

2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL -SOLD-
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
post #6 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Sounds like the wheel hung up and spun on the rim clamp machine, e.g. operator error. Very common if the tire changer wasn't paying attention and caught the TPMS with the edge of the tire. If it wasn't like that before you took it in it shouldn't be like that now. A close inspection will tell if coating peeled off or the machine scraped it off. If it's scraped off you'll see minute grooves in the rim.

Duane
jryan19 and crazyarch like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #7 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 07:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyarch View Post
I took my bike, a 2018 K1600 GT, in for a 6K check. I prepared myself for the Bren tune to be erased, thought that was the worse thing that could happen. I get a call that there is a problem and apparently the paint peeled off a quarter of the front wheel. Just delaminated and peeled right off! They were changing the tires, but don't know what you would do with a tire changer to peel the paint off a wheel.

They are calling BMW to see if they will cover the new wheel. Bike is a few months outside the factory warranty but has the full extended warranty. Garage kept, ridden in the rain once or twice. No way I'm paying for a new wheel, not even sharing in the cost in any way. What a joke my experience with BMW has been. I'm ready to give up on this bike.
In my opinion BMW needs to up there game on warranty issues.

They seem to require pre-approval on dealer warranty repairs vs giving dealers some freedom to do the right thing for there customers.

Clearly this is not a issue due to customer abuse. The dealer should have called the factory rep if needed and got the rim approved prior to calling the customer. If this was a dealer mistake, they should have stepped up immediately. Think of the difference in customer experience had you been told the problem followed with the solution.

If a premium brand is going to be successful in America they must provide premium service after the sale. It's not about the occasional repair, it's how it's addressed.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
JerseyT likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
In my opinion BMW needs to up there game on warranty issues.

They seem to require pre-approval on dealer warranty repairs vs giving dealers some freedom to do the right thing for there customers.

Clearly this is not a issue due to customer abuse. The dealer should have called the factory rep if needed and got the rim approved prior to calling the customer. If this was a dealer mistake, they should have stepped up immediately. Think of the difference in customer experience had you been told the problem followed with the solution.

If a premium brand is going to be successful in America they must provide premium service after the sale. It's not about the occasional repair, it's how it's addressed.

Bike is out of warranty and paint/finish is only covered for a year. So I don't think BMW in this case needs to up their game, nor should dealers have freedom to just repair and expect bmw to pay. Opens too much for abuse and dishonesty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #9 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 08:41 PM

Garage
[quote=crazyarch;2406966]I took my bike, a 2018 K1600 GT, in for a 6K check. I prepared myself for the Bren tune to be erased, thought that was the worse thing that could happen. I get a call that there is a problem and apparently the paint peeled off a quarter of the front wheel. Just delaminated and peeled right off! They were changing the tires, but don't know what you would do with a tire changer to peel the paint off a wheel.

They are calling BMW to see if they will cover the new wheel. Bike is a few months outside the factory warranty but has the full extended warranty. Garage kept, ridden in the rain once or twice. No way I'm paying for a new wheel, not even sharing in the cost in any way. What a joke my experience with BMW has been. I'm ready to give up on this bike.[/quote

And the Bren tune? Inquiring minds want to know.
jryan19 and crazyarch like this.

2018 K1600B: Forged Wheels; RDL Seat; 7Jurock Windscreen; Clearwater Betsys/Darlas; Ryan’s Handlebar Risers; Wunderlich Stuff; Ilium Saddlebag Guards; HEX ezCAN; Bren Tune

“Critical thinking...the last frontier.”

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
post #10 of 19 Old 05-11-2019, 08:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc11 View Post
Bike is out of warranty and paint/finish is only covered for a year. So I don't think BMW in this case needs to up their game, nor should dealers have freedom to just repair and expect bmw to pay. Opens too much for abuse and dishonesty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The bike is not out of warranty, the paint is.

While i would agree some things should require pre-approval, not all, in my opinion.

This clearly is not the fault of the bike owner. His bike is just over one year old with 6000 miles. A large chunk of paint shouldn't fall off when tire is changed. Factory or dealer should step up.

My career was working in the auto industry. I've seen what happens when manufacturers and dealers step up to issues, Lexus is one of those, they now lead the premium market.

If a dealer takes advantage of a manufacturer there are real penalties that can be applied.

I'm not knocking BMW Motorrad. They build great bikes, that said, there is room in my opinion for improvement as you will find with most brands.

sbennett53 and crazyarch like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page