Sorry; tire question. - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
You made a good choice, I just installed my second set of RSIII's a week ago. It's my tire of choice.
Thank you. Believe it or not part of my hesitation was that the Dunlops are so much less than the other two. That said; all the positive reviews on this site reassured me. Thanks Again.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerGA View Post
Is 6k about what owners are getting out of their K1600B tires? Are these softer compound tires than what you'd find on the standard bagger from other manufacturers?
The BMW B and GA is capable of higher levels of performance than other Baggers on the market. For this reason they come equipped with a higher level of performance tires. As you noted, softer tires than you will find on a Harley bagger as one example.

My B has not completely wore out my oem tires in 6000 miles. The front is getting flat in the middle, the back just wearing down. Bet i could get another 1000+ miles.

Tires are the most important safety component on our bikes, fortunately they are inexpensive ( in my opinion ).

Some of the replacement tires available including the Dunlops i selected have longer lives than the originals, depending on your style of riding.

Hope this helps

post #23 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 PM

Garage
I had the RSll on my suzuki bandit and loved them. My GA is still new only 1k on the clock but I will surely be looking at some RSlll when they are ready for replacement.
Scott Titensor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
If the Dunlops are better tires I'd rather upgrade. Is it consensus that the Dunlops are better than the Michelin?

Noticed very few recommend the OEM Bridgestones.

The Dunlops are close to $100 less than Michelin or Perelli. My experience with Harley using Michelin was extremely positive.

This is why i am looking for input. Thank you to those that have.

My experience with the pilot 4's was on my ST. It was a fine tire but nowhere near what the RSIII is imho. A lot of folks swear by them my brother being one of them. From what I can tell so far is the RSIII is stickier in both wet and dry conditions and on a bike with more torque. My belief is the extra money is for the Michelin name, they are good tires for sure but they can be pushed to slip in dry conditions. So far the RSIII's have not given in to my attempts to slip them and I've tried with everything the B has torque wise. I have gotten 12K miles out of Bridgestone's on the ST while commuting, the traction was NEVER spectacular though. Don't know how long the RSIII's will go but I've personally never had a better tire. A very very confidence inspiring tire imo.

With that being said, what is important to me in a tire may not be important to you. I'm sure whatever you choose will work fine as all the manufactures mentioned are decent to good.

(just saw your post after I responded LOL)
Scott Titensor likes this.

Matt S.
2018 K1600B- black beauty
2007 ST1300- silver bullet
1981 CB900C- blue bomb

Last edited by 1dragon; 05-15-2019 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added
post #25 of 27 Old 05-15-2019, 01:14 AM

Having had at least one set of the most commonly used tires for the K1600 series, I can say that there is not a bad tire being made these days. I have found that there are differences among the brands and models, but they are slight and somewhat personal to the rider and his/her style, conditions and level of riding. I don’t pay attention to price as my life and enjoyment can’t be compromised by the savings on one brand or model over the others when buying the most critical parts that keep the rest of my bike and my person from mating with, or looking up from six feet under, the surface of the earth.
For me, I would rank them as follows:
1. Dunlop RSIII- stickiest, quietest, best overall performer.
2. Metzler Roadtech 01 (the slightest edge to Dunlops, which keep their profiles a bit longer than the 01s and overall last a bit longer than the 01s mileage wise)
3. Metzler Z8-the aftermarket Z8s, not the ones that come OEM, which, while great performers in all road conditions, die before you can blink, and, in either case, you need to watch for sudden death. They were my go to tires until the 01s, and later, the RSIIs, came along.
4. Angel GT (perfectly great tires all around with, by far, the shortest life not counting the OEM Z8s.)
5. Bridgestone Battleax- not so good in the wet. Not as confidence inspiring at speed in the twisties as 1. and 2.
6. PR4-if you want a tire that can go longer than any of the others (except maybe the RSIIIs) and don’t care that they lose their profiles very early in their long comparatively poorly performing lives, these are the tires for you.

Last edited by GTLen; 05-16-2019 at 02:11 AM.
post #26 of 27 Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM

Garage
I have to disagree regarding the RS3s. I bought 2 sets this spring. I mounted the first set and put 860 miles on them - they felt fine, but I wasn't pushing the bike at all (we had tons of rain in March and early April, so there was way too much gravel, sand, etc to run hard). I swapped out to the new set before heading to the TTD. By the end of the ride on Friday, the new set had 1080 miles (600 miles 2-up with bags and top case, remaining 1-up with no top case). The front tire was in great shape, the rear not so much:

The tire had 42 PSI cold according to both my gauge and the bike TPMS. I re-mounted the tire with 860 miles, and put another 410 miles on it (200 miles 2-up on Saturday's TTD ride, 80 miles 1-up with bags and top case from IHML to Knoxville in the rain, and 130 miles slabbing 1-up with bags and top case from Knoxville to home). That rear tire now has 1270 miles and is beginning to cup (not as badly as the other one, but it only has 200 hard miles on it). The front is still good at 1500 miles. I normally wear fronts slightly faster than rears. Even when the tires were new, they didn't have as good edge grip as the Pirelli GT A-specs that I normally run, and the front wasn't as stable under braking. In the wet, it was no contest - the Pirellis were much better. My only complaint with the Pirellis (aside from only getting 2000 miles per set) was that the front has a pretty narrow profile and would develop "flat spots" near the the edges in the last 300 miles or so of life. I've now mounted a set of GT 2 A-specs (front looks to have a rounder profile) and will update when I've killed them.

I understand that many folks have great results with RS3s, but that wasn't my experience.

Kevin
'13 K1600GTL
'16 S1000XR

Last edited by Qbird66; 05-17-2019 at 11:36 AM.
post #27 of 27 Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monx5100 View Post
How come no one is talking about the Metzler Roadtec 01 tires?...
The have the same issue as the 08's....no/poor indication you've worn them out and steel belts will show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page