Sorry; tire question. - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry; tire question.

Getting ready to install the first pair of tires on my B during the 6k service. Considering I'm so new to the K1600 and tires for the bike i would appreciate input.

My objectives in order:

1. Ride quality , i was actually happy with the original Brigstones.

2. Handling

3. Dry traction

4. wet traction

5. Longevity

6. Price

I've narrowed down to the following ( not in order )

Michelin 4 GT ( most expensive )

Perelli Angle GT2 A ( close to the cost of the Michelin, a little less ).

Dunlap Road Smart ( significantly less expensive than the other two. Don't wish to buy just because of price ).

I'm not a agressive rider. Have never touched the floorboard feelers. Have only exceeded 100 a few times. Ride more aggressive than i rode my Harley but less than many on this forum.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 PM

Garage
If you were happy with the Bridgestone tires why not go with them?
J-Luv likes this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #3 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 AM

Garage
Bridgestone T30 GT Evo is a good all-round performer ( no pun intended), currently running it. T31 GT is very similar.
Limited to Your short list the Dunlop would be the one for me.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 12:32 AM

I have some experience with the Pilot 4 and none with Pirelli's. If it was me I'd go with the Dunlop RSIII all day long. With that being said and knowing the differences in our riding style you might just stay with the Bridgestones as your already happy with them and I believe they are probably cheaper then all the others mentioned.

Matt S.
2018 K1600B- black beauty
2007 ST1300- silver bullet
1981 CB900C- blue bomb
post #5 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dragon View Post
I have some experience with the Pilot 4 and none with Pirelli's. If it was me I'd go with the Dunlop RSIII all day long. With that being said and knowing the differences in our riding style you might just stay with the Bridgestones as your already happy with them and I believe they are probably cheaper then all the others mentioned.
If the Dunlops are better tires I'd rather upgrade. Is it consensus that the Dunlops are better than the Michelin?

Noticed very few recommend the OEM Bridgestones.

The Dunlops are close to $100 less than Michelin or Perelli. My experience with Harley using Michelin was extremely positive.

This is why i am looking for input. Thank you to those that have.

post #6 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 01:16 AM

Garage
Hi Scott,

After a lot of reading I went with the Dunlop RSlll's. My OEM Bridgestones were completely shot at 13000kms, more square than round. The Dunlops have transformed the handling although that may not be a fair comparison considering the state of the Bridgestones. As an added bonus I also got a €40 rebate direct from Dunlop. Grip is excellent both wet and dry, time will tell longevity wise. I also considered the Metzler Roadtec 01 but was put off by many reports of front tyre noise.

Regards,

Tony
Scott Titensor likes this.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #7 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 01:40 AM

Garage
I used about 5 sets of the Dunlop RS3 and loved the handling and the high speed stability. Many like this tire on the K model line for its overall balanced performance.
Went with the Bridgestone T 30 GT Evo out of curiosity and was not disappointed. Hated the stock Bridgestone except for the low noise levels from the front tire. Rain performance was scary to me.
dobervol likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #8 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 02:17 AM

+1 on the Bridgestone T-30 Evo’s. I ran them on my 2014 GTL and completely satisfied, especially considering price.
Scott Titensor likes this.

Jesse Kriner - Hope Mills, NC
2018 Grand America - Black Storm Metallic
14 GTL, 05 LT, 85 K100RS
post #9 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
Hated the stock Bridgestone except for the low noise levels from the front tire. Rain performance was scary to me.
Thanks for this reminder. I’ve not ridden mine in the rain yet, and had forgotten poor rain performance was why I didn’t like the stock Battlax that came on my Yamaha Star Warrior. I wound up going with Avon Storms, and found a tire which was slightly better in the dry, much better in the wet, and cheaper. Your post was a reminder to me to make these tires earn trust in the rain, and be very deliberate and slow with inputs.

So far, I’m happy with the stockers, but was conditioned from posts here to think they’d be pretty poor, and of course, have no frame of reference with other brands on this bike. Very smooth, low noise, and certainly acceptable handling and dry grip, but of course, they’re still pretty new, and who wouldn’t like something even better, if it’s out there?

Consensus for the forum for sporty riders is the Dunlops, and I may go that route, but I hold product grudges, and my wife and I had a very bad Dunlop auto experience once. That said, I know we’ve at least had one set of motorcycle Dunlops, on an FZ6, and they were perfectly fine.

I may be a guinea pig for the new Conti GTs if no one else has tried them by the time I need both front and rear replaced at the same time, which will be at the first rear change, regardless, if I hate these Bridgestones in the rain.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #10 of 27 Old 05-14-2019, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
If the Dunlops are better tires I'd rather upgrade. Is it consensus that the Dunlops are better than the Michelin?

Noticed very few recommend the OEM Bridgestones.

The Dunlops are close to $100 less than Michelin or Perelli. My experience with Harley using Michelin was extremely positive.

This is why i am looking for input. Thank you to those that have.

I don’t know that Dunlops were the clear choice for your first priority, ride quality, and I’m sure you’re read all the same posts I have, but no one trashed it, either, and it was almost universally praised for the all the other categories.

Also, remember Pirelli has a new GT tire out, but not a lot of reports yet on the forum. Maybe you can try a set and report back?

The Michelins PGT4s have been out forever, and tons of reviews are out there. I’ve seen wear, stability, and wet traction praised in particular.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page