New Dunlops - Page 10 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 102 Old 06-24-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
Not trying to be argumentative; if most agree that the left drift goes away with new tires, these would be tires without any wear pattern, the bike rides straight, true. It just makes sense that the bike would continue to drift if the problem was alignment. Once the tires have miles and a wear pattern, the drift returns? Does this not point to the bike following the tires wear pattern??

Seems ligical to me.

Regarding BMW buying back a bike. Manufacturers sometimes decide that its cheaper to buy back a vehicle than fight in court. Especially with jurors in America and their anti business orientation.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
I'm not sure if I'm saying the same thing here:. If the bike has an alignment issue, the bike will feel pretty good when the tires are new, but after some miles, the tire will wear unevenly based on the misalignment, thus accentuating the left pull.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2015 K1600GTL
2017 Triumph Bonneville T120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 06-24-2019, 11:23 PM

Garage
Quote:

Regarding BMW buying back a bike. Manufacturers sometimes decide that its cheaper to buy back a vehicle than fight in court. Especially with jurors in America and their anti business orientation.

His case went all the way to court. He had professional testimony on the alignment issue etc.. the whole 9 yards. The judge awarded him the return/refund on the bike.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #93 of 102 Old 06-24-2019, 11:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistavette View Post
I'm not sure if I'm saying the same thing here:. If the bike has an alignment issue, the bike will feel pretty good when the tires are new, but after some miles, the tire will wear unevenly based on the misalignment, thus accentuating the left pull.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yes,
However, with such a slight misalignment and since we wear the tires on the radius as we ride, cornering etc.. you can't see any strange wear pattern on the tires. Besides.. most of us, unknowingly force a straight line while we ride so no strange pattern would appear.

Not all the new tires I put on my bike tracked straight when new. The ones that did went back to drifting when worn in. My latest set installed about a month ago did this.

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 102 Old 06-24-2019, 11:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post

I do have to say the ride has been noticeably smoother, especially when hitting small pot holes and breaks in the pavement, then with either Michelin PR 3 and 4 along with Avon Storms. I'm also pleased with the amount of tread wear after 4,037 miles.
We have a new convert!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #95 of 102 Old 06-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
His case went all the way to court. He had professional testimony on the alignment issue etc.. the whole 9 yards. The judge awarded him the return/refund on the bike.
I'm totally aware. It's my belief that BMW took it as far as it made sense to take it. They could have appealed but that would have been very expensive, cheaper to move on.

Just because a judge decided in the bike owners favor doesn't mean the judge really understood what he/she was ruling on. In this case the bike owner came to court extremely well prepared, caught BMW flat footed in my opinion. This owner spent thousands along with coutless hours to prove his case.

Cannot say if this bike really had a issue or not, I've not ridden it, nor am i a professional in this area.

post #96 of 102 Old 06-30-2019, 06:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
What's the "bushing trick"?

I saw a thread on it somewhere on this site.. I'll search and post
post #97 of 102 Old 06-30-2019, 06:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Today, with just under 300 miles on my new Road Smart 3's i checked to see if my bike ( B) still drifts left. Tried twice, both hands off the bars around 70mph. Both times the bike didn't drift. It is more responsive to me shifting my weight, the slightest move of my body and the bike moves.

The bike sure does glide through the corners. After 28 years on Harleys it's a sensation I'm not accustomed to, that's a good thing

Well I guess it's worth a try, since I ordered them, will see
post #98 of 102 Old 06-30-2019, 06:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan19 View Post
You don’t normally touch the bushing in the left side of the wheel carrier. It stays in place. If you mean rotate the bushing to change the left pull ? I tried that on my GTL and it didn’t help at all. Just my experience.
Yes, that's what I read about somewhere here- someone rotated the bushing(s) and remedied the curse
post #99 of 102 Old 06-30-2019, 06:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
As I've said before in this very thread..

The RSIII tires will not do away with the left pull, tires can not make up for misalignment between wheels.

When you get some miles on those tires the left pull will be back. Every time I put new tires on my bike the pull is less than before I changed them. Once I get 1000 miles or so on the tires the pull comes back, happens every time through 4 sets of tires now.

Those of you new to this game might think you've got a fix but the fact is there's no free lunch. You bike either pulls or it don't and tires won't change it. If it did we all would have the fix and it wouldn't be the problem it currently is.
My bike is brand new along with brand new tires- pulled / drifted left immediately
post #100 of 102 Old 06-30-2019, 06:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Fortunately for many of us, the left pull is more of a left drift, something you must ride without hands on the handlebars to notice.

The drift is what I have, not severe but will walk over to the left when in hands free mode
kinda feels like a tight head bearing on a bicycle... whatever it is, it just makes this premium bike a chore to go handsfree
yeah, yeah I know your supposed to keep your hands on the bars yada yada- but going hands free from time to helps me to relax on long boring straight runs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page