New Dunlops - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 Old 05-16-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

New Dunlops

The other day I replaced the original Metzelers with new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III and made the following observations: smoother ride, quieter ride, softer handling, somewhat higher wind sensitivity, and you know what - left pull is gone, completely gone...

BR Sven
vistavette and Gerrit82 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 05-17-2019, 12:01 AM

When it's time to replace the original Bridgestones on my GTL, I'll probably go with those Dunlop RS III.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #3 of 102 Old 05-17-2019, 06:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaswede View Post
The other day I replaced the original Metzelers with new Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III and made the following observations: smoother ride, quieter ride, softer handling, somewhat higher wind sensitivity, and you know what - left pull is gone, completely gone...

BR Sven
Tjena.

Were the original Metzelers Z8?

2015 R1200RT, Pirelli Angel GT II (A), Motul 5100 10W40, Mahle OC 306, V-Stream Z2463
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 102 Old 05-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
The left pull will come back when the tire wears in.
DLL66 likes this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #5 of 102 Old 05-17-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
The left pull will come back when the tire wears in.

Is the left pull related to tire cupping? All bike tires cup eventually - sounds like the L pull may show up around the time the tires start cupping.
post #6 of 102 Old 05-17-2019, 09:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerGA View Post
Is the left pull related to tire cupping?
No.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #7 of 102 Old 05-17-2019, 10:20 PM

I know I'm going against the grain, but my one set of Dunlops will be my last. They ARE great when new. But I also noticed the highest degradation in handling anomalies as they approached the wear indicators. In fact they were the worst at getting straight line squirmy as any tire I've tried. I've tried pr4's, metzlers, pirelli Angel gt, and Dunlops. The PR4 tires offer the best handling over the life of the tire = safety in my book.
Boz likes this.

2012 K1600GTL Silver 65kmi. & counting
'89 R100RT 65k mi. (sold)
'85 TREK 720 10k mi. (still riding)
'79 CB750K w/Windjammer 35k mi. (not forgotten)
post #8 of 102 Old 05-18-2019, 12:05 AM

Garage
I've come to the conclusion that tires like other products are made with certain customers as a target market. When used by customers that ride outside that design envelop, they are disappointed.

Not putting anyone or any tire choice down, all the choices available are designed a little different to excell within that envelop. Be it longevity, wet traction, dry traction, touring.

Soon I'll find out for myself. I ordered the Dunlop RS3 tires for my B. Will post what i think.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
post #9 of 102 Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 AM

I just put a set of the Roadsmarts on my GA and they ride great but are much noisier than the original Bridgestones. Hoping they quiet down when they wear in.
post #10 of 102 Old 05-18-2019, 02:32 AM

Garage
Hi guys,

I fitted RSlll's on my GTL a few days ago and have since done around 3,000kms on them replacing the original OEM Bridgestones. Grip and stability are much improved, moreover the left pull I did have on my 2018 GTL has gone.

Initially, when the Dunlops were brand new, a left pull was still evident though reduced by say 50%. More of a gentle slow turn as opposed to a distinct pull as before. Since then I've had something of an epiphany......

During a 13 hrs ride up to the north German Coast and remembering a previous comment gleaned from a member, I moved position on my RDL seat slightly to the right. (I will go back through the threads, try to find him and say thank-you). NO TURN OR PULL, it had gone. If I moved a little more to the right I could get the bike to pull right when the bars were released. Now all these things are somewhat subjective but it would appear that over the years I've adopted a slightly left of centre riding position. Clearly my GTL, with or without Dunlops ( I have no comparative evidence) is sensitive to weight distribution. I assume others will be the same? After a little practise and shuffling around I could find the sweet spot as a matter of course. The bike now stays straight for a short while before turning LEFT or RIGHT dependent on the conditions of the moment, camber, wind etc.

Other variables are a new CalSci Screen and an RDL seat, though on the face of it they do not appear to be a factor.

Once again thanks to all, this forum has improved my knowledge and therefore enjoyment immeasurably.

Safe riding and best regards,

Tony
tehrlich likes this.

2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page