Tires general question - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-29-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wizard1325
Tires general question

Ok this may sound stupid... but when changing your tire out of your bike the TPS sensor... does that need to be changed as well?

Is it just a battery? Or a new unit thats installed?

How much does it cost to get your tire changed at the dealer ship?

Lets say i just bring in the rims with the tires how much would that be?

Was thinking of ordering some dunlops in advance then droping the bike off.

Lastly, ussually the rear go out first. Do you guys just replace the rear first? Or just get both done? Or replace the fronts when its time to install the trid new rear.

1981 Honda 300CM, 2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Yamaha R6S,2011 BMW S1000RR
2019 K1600 Grand America
Wish I had some back-lit LED lights on my control handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 01:06 AM

Is this your first motorcycle? Or just your first BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1325 View Post
Ok this may sound stupid... but when changing your tire out of your bike the TPS sensor... does that need to be changed as well? Is it just a battery? Or a new unit thats installed?
No, it stays attached to the rim. I always try to let the tire changer know it has a TPS sensor right near the valve stem, but most all of them expect it these days and try to avoid that area.

It's a sealed unit, so if it does need to be replaced, you have to buy the whole thing from BMW (around $220 each). It should last at least 5 years or 50,000 miles or more, so most riders will never have to worry about it.

Quote:
How much does it cost to get your tire changed at the dealer ship? Let's say I just bring in the rims with the tires how much would that be? Was thinking of ordering some dunlops in advance then droping the bike off.
Depends on the dealer, and depends if you've removed the wheels or have them do it. For the wheel only, expect to pay around $50 each. For wheels on the bike, I wouldn't know, as I always just pull the wheels off myself (sometimes in their parking lot).

You might save a few $$ buying online versus dealer tire prices, but most dealers won't install tires that you didn't buy from them, so you have to find an independent shop or just buy your own tire changing equipment...

Quote:
Lastly, usually the rear go out first. Do you guys just replace the rear first? Or just get both done? Or replace the fronts when its time to install the new rear.
I usually get 2 rears to one front, give or take. I'll sometimes change both just before a long trip so I don't have to worry about it. Since I do much of the work myself, I often have a pile of half-used tires lying around that I can throw on if I just need something for local rides.

Or there's always this option.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; 05-30-2019 at 01:14 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 01:54 AM

Garage
What Meese said goes for me.

I did put 92,500 miles on my first K1600 and the TPS was still working when I sold it. There are some Chinese knock offs (or they are the supplier to BMW) cheaper that some of the guys have purchased and they say the work. Also there is a YouTube video of a guy replacing the battery in the stock TPS and it looks pretty easy. Bottom line don't worry about them until they stop working.

I just received an email from Revzilla that said Cycle Gear will mount street tires for $25 with lifetime balancing, as if a tire will last your lifetime.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler

Last edited by Arizona Jim; 05-30-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 02:33 AM

Yes, I've changed many a tire in a random Cycle Gear parking lot in various states...

BMWGuy likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
Yes, I've changed many a tire in a random Cycle Gear parking lot in various states...

Ken
Is that a screw driver keeping the front end aloft? Or are the counter balance weights at the rear end sufficient?
Meese and HOGSLYR like this.

James

18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); 76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); 83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
post #6 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 08:24 AM

You can buy replacement TPMS sensors from Amazon...much cheaper. Seems like they were $22 each.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Is this your first motorcycle? Or just your first BMW?

No, it stays attached to the rim. I always try to let the tire changer know it has a TPS sensor right near the valve stem, but most all of them expect it these days and try to avoid that area.

It's a sealed unit, so if it does need to be replaced, you have to buy the whole thing from BMW (around $220 each). It should last at least 5 years or 50,000 miles or more, so most riders will never have to worry about it.

Depends on the dealer, and depends if you've removed the wheels or have them do it. For the wheel only, expect to pay around $50 each. For wheels on the bike, I wouldn't know, as I always just pull the wheels off myself (sometimes in their parking lot).

You might save a few $$ buying online versus dealer tire prices, but most dealers won't install tires that you didn't buy from them, so you have to find an independent shop or just buy your own tire changing equipment...

I usually get 2 rears to one front, give or take. I'll sometimes change both just before a long trip so I don't have to worry about it. Since I do much of the work myself, I often have a pile of half-used tires lying around that I can throw on if I just need something for local rides.

Or there's always this option.

its my 4th motorcycle and my second BMW. Thing is i never owned a motorcycle longer then the tires lol. I was always deploying or moving so always selling the bikes.

2019 K1600 Grand America
post #8 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Never knew cycle gear did tire changes i knew they sold them guess they got the machine in the back of the store

2019 K1600 Grand America
post #9 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 11:03 AM

Before I bought a tire changer in 2013 I took my new tires to the local Cycle Gear here in the KC area. Both times I had to drop my wheels/ new tires off and pick them up the next day. I couldn't make an appointment to have them done while I waited. Getting to their location, for me, was kind of a hassle, especially playing with the traffic during flush hour. I don't blame them for this kind of practice and $25 per wheel is better than all other places I checked wanting $50 per wheel and most wouldn't mount tires you bring in. The OP wasn't asking for this but I still have to add, if you're going through 2 or more sets a year, being able to change your own tires has it's advantages.

'12 KGT Verthrillin' Red
post #10 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 11:33 AM

Back when I was working I would buy my tires from the dealer and have them install em.
If I remember right they charged me 5-600 for the pair. I always change both at the same time as I didn't want to be bothered with it for awhile.

There are a lot of small shops sometimes very close to your house that will do it, you just need to do a little searching. Some here say an automotive tire shop can do the back tire including balancing as it fits on the machine they already have.
A lot of people, including me, have bought the gear to do it themselves. It only cost me the price of the tires now. Usually around $300. and if you look at what it cost me at the dealer the equipment has paid for itself may times over.
I didn't buy the gear all by myself, my brother and a friend all chipped in.
Some here love the NoMar tire changer but I hated it.
We ended up with a Weaver.

There are now copys of the weaver around for a lot less and I would go with one of those. They are all made in China including the weaver. https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/t...-tire-changer/

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS

Last edited by Rick92040; 05-30-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page