Dunlop roadsmart 3 vs michelin pilot rd4 gt? - Page 5 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 101 Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpetel1965 View Post
After I am done with the original tires, I am thinking on the new Pirelli that just came out. Not a lot are stocking them yet. My JEEP Grand Overland has them and they are SUPER tires. Like a glue on the road !!!! Wet or not, just perfect.
While I'm sure they are great, i can't buy tires made in China ( Pirelli's sold in USA are made in China ) when there are great options available. To each there own!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 101 Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
I share the same concern and was curious. Zooming in on a photo of the tire showed a plant code from Germany. I wonder if they have multiple production facilities for that tire.
post #43 of 101 Old 07-19-2019, 03:47 PM

Garage
Michelins installed today
We will see

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 101 Old 07-19-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAGUE View Post
Michelins installed today
We will see
PR4-GT darn good tires. Grip well, last 10K +, cost too much...
Sweet1600B likes this.

2014 BMW K1600GTLE EXCLUSIVE
2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL -SOLD-
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
Smokin'
post #45 of 101 Old 07-19-2019, 07:11 PM

Garage
@SmokinJoe Felt nice on the way home already. Felt good grip. Thanks for the affirmation and yes - my wallet felt stretched out on the way home.
SmokinJoe likes this.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #46 of 101 Old 07-19-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieengineer View Post
While the PR4 is not my tire of choice either, those who have purchased them in the past might be a bit offended to be referred to as lemmings. A bit harsh, perhaps?
My feelings are hurt.

I have been running PR3 and 4s for years...based on what I read on this forum a few years ago. A decision made based on the places and times I ride. Last time I rode in the rain was today. Last time before that, yesterday. Last time I was in twisties -- months ago. So I'll take any wet traction benefit over dry traction.

But now I know it was bc I am lemming.

But after that rant, I guess I am switching like everyone else. Probably bc I am thrifty (cheap), and will give up a little wet traction for a few dollars.

Or is it be because I am a lemming? Hmmm.

Meantime, off to walmart to get me walmart oil. (ok, I am not that cheap. I use Rotella.)

Last edited by dhendy; 07-19-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #47 of 101 Old 07-19-2019, 07:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
I share the same concern and was curious. Zooming in on a photo of the tire showed a plant code from Germany. I wonder if they have multiple production facilities for that tire.
My understanding is Europe receives tires made in Germany. The United States receives tires from there plant in China.

Not saying made in China means bad quality, for me it's about my personal feelings.

Regardless id bet all Perelli tires are first quality.

post #48 of 101 Old 07-20-2019, 12:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Titensor View Post
While I'm sure they are great, i can't buy tires made in China ( Pirelli's sold in USA are made in China ) when there are great options available. To each there own!

China and Germany are manufacturing Pirelli touring tires, the vast majority for all markets comes from China now, same for Metzeler tires. A K O criteria for me.
Scott Titensor likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #49 of 101 Old 07-20-2019, 12:39 PM

Hated the PR4s. Long life but rapid deterioration, cupping, loss of handling; so, either take them off with loads of rubber remaining or suffer miserable tires for most of their long lives. Dunlop lasts as long and does not lose its profile, grip or handling throughout the tire’s life. If no Dunlop RIIIs available, the Metzler Roadrech 01s are a close second.
Chris H likes this.
post #50 of 101 Old 07-21-2019, 05:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Okay, I'm at a loss as to where the information about the riding experience and intelligence level of this salesperson was revealed. While the PR4 is not my tire of choice either, those who have purchased them in the past might be a bit offended to be referred to as lemmings. A bit harsh, perhaps?
The basis of my rant came from another thread here where a parts guy who rides a GS and was telling PLAGUE how the PR4 is the only tire worth putting on a K1600. Then this same guy makes a snide comment to him about talking to people on forums when he called back wanting to change his mind to a different tire.

So this a§§hole who doesn't ride or own a K1600 basically thinks we are all a bunch of idiots because we don't conform to his idea as to tires on our bikes.. to which I remind you once again... he doesn't own or ride. So, I referred to him as a lemming, a Michelin PR4 lemming because it's his opinion that is the only tire one should put on this bike.

You can do no greater injustice to someone than recommending something you have no experience with.

If my comments about him offends people, well that's too bad.
Gunnert, Chris H and MikeB60 like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page