BMW K1600 Forum banner

ESA vs. Pre load stupid question #1

7K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Darbinco 
#1 ·
Somewhat new to the intricacies of the GTL. Have about 8k miles behind me on it now. I am finding even the comfort/solo setting to be a bit stiff when out on the straight highway riding. Is there a way to set the baseline of the suspension a bit softer or does the ESA override everything? I have been in all modes in all different types of weather and roads. I am weighing in about 260 fully geared. Running on Pilot 4's with about 34k on the dial. I know the LT spoiled me a bit, but just wondering...

#2 ·
"Comfort" mode and one up is as soft as it gets. To me, it's way too soft, I'm always in "Sport" with luggage unless I'm riding twisties in which case I set it to "Sport" with passenger. I weigh 200 pounds, by the way. Maybe, you're due for new shocks.

#6 ·
I think this is the first time I have read of a GTL being too harsh. Dont ride a GT, the settings on it are one step harsher (Normal is comfort etc)

It sounds like your springs are being over loaded, how much are you carrying on the bike on top of the 260? I would try setting the preload to the maximum and the shocks to comfort and see if that helps. Your next option would be new shocks with springs set up for your weight.

I find the suspension so much more compliant than my previous rides that it is hard to imagine that someone would find it harsh, unless it is simply sacked out springs..

#7 ·
I'm probably a little heavier than you when dressed out and on my GT, the most comfortable ride for me is in Dynamic mode, 2up with sport mode. If I'm alone, any other mode is too soft for my liking.

#8 · (Edited)
If it isn't soft enough for you now new shocks won't help as they will just make them stiffer. As you put the miles on your bike the shocks will wear and possibly give you a softer ride. Most here want the shocks stiffer. With your weight I would put it on one up with luggage and comfort or two up and comfort.

#10 ·
Possibly, a custom set of Wilbers?

#9 · (Edited)
Is there a way to set the baseline of the suspension a bit softer or does the ESA override everything? ...
No and yes.

Duane

#11 ·
Unfortunately, I weigh in at 300 and ride Road mode two up all the time. Perfect for me and not too soft at all.

#12 ·
Road mode is a throttle setting, it has nothing to do with suspension.

Your 16 is just like my 14, it has rain, road and dynamic throttle settings.

Suspension settings are comfort, normal and sport. Then you choose solo, solo with luggage or two up for preload settings.

I have never ridden my bike in comfort mode for any distance at all except to try it out, it took all of 2 minutes to figure out that was too soft. I ride 1 up with luggage and normal if I am running straight road. I will switch it to two up sport when in the twisties. When my wife joins on the back seat its two up and sport all the time.

#13 ·
Comfort mode should be soft if it's not at your weight then something is wrong with the shock.

Most people complain as you have read here it to soft on comfort.

Personally I like comfort but if it time to really ride I run it in sport.

#14 ·
Yes I know the difference between the throttle and suspension settings. No my shocks, springs are not sacked or worn out. I think the previous owner has put after market suspension in, but I haven't examined things close enough yet to know for sure. I have ridden the B and plenty of other GTLs and not had the same stiffness in Comfort mode which is making me think there is something "goosed" up in the suspension. My suspicion was that the pre-load is torqued all the way up creating a stiffer base line for the electronic settings. Me at 260 with nothing else on the bike. Always go to solo + bag when I have luggage and always to to 2 up + bags when having company and luggage. I think the biggest factor from me is that I have spent so many miles on the "floating couch" (LT) that the sportier ride of the GTL is just that much different. A few thousand more miles and that will fade. Thanks for all the comments, was just wondering if anyone else had this experience.

#16 ·
Road mode is a throttle setting, it has nothing to do with suspension.
Not exactly, K variants and model years have different nomenclature and options. My 2017 GT LE offers Road and Dynamic suspension settings. From the Manual:-

You can adjust the damping
characteristic while the motor-
cycle is on the move.
The damping action range of ad-
justment is displayed.
- ROAD: Normal damping char-
acteristic
- DYNAMIC: Sporty damping
characteristic
Riding Throttle / DTC modes are still Rain, Road, Dynamic.

Joe

#17 ·
Not exactly, K variants and model years have different nomenclature and options. My 2017 GT LE offers Road and Dynamic suspension settings. From the Manual:-

Riding Throttle / DTC modes are still Rain, Road, Dynamic.

Joe
Correct, however the person I was replying to has a 2016 bike and in his case what I stated is correct. I did not intend for my comment to be applied to all model year bikes. Just as I didnt intend for my comment to him be applied to others, like yourself.

#18 ·
Thank you to all responses...

Just wanted to say thank you to all who responded to my suspension questions. I got it figured out and all is good on the new ride 10k miles later.

#19 ·
So, what's the answer to the question?

Just wanted to say thank you to all who responded to my suspension questions. I got it figured out and all is good on the new ride 10k miles later.

Really? This was a real nail biter for me, :lurk: and you're just going to leave us hanging? What was your discovery/solution? :surprise:

#20 ·
O.K. sorry you felt I left you hanging...it was a combination of things.

1. Moving from an LT to the GTL (so from a floating couch to a firmer sport bike suspension)
2. Seat and sitting position made a huge difference (I tried 3 different seats)
3. The person I bought the bike from was a fanatic and had the suspension replaced with new at 28k, so I got a new suspension on a used bike...

Hope this clears things up.

#22 ·
This is a '14 and the ESA's are the same as your '12; Comfort, Normal, Sport. The load settings are solo, solo + baggage, 2 up, 2 up + baggage, yes only when stationary. I also discovered that when using the wonder wheel it was just a quick click when changing the settings. I was holding it over too long at first and it sometimes would not change. I thought something was wrong until I experimented and asked the dealer tech about it. Just a quick click with the wonder wheel and it works every time. I like those kind of fixes... I also finally found out how to change the RAIN, ROAD, DYNAMIC settings while riding...that was buried in the manual but I was reading it late night after riding all day cross country and Mr. Brilliant finally decided to read it in the morning at breakfast and figured that one out.

#24 ·
Thank you for the link Darbinco. That explains things fairly well. Noted it is an option so it won't be on all bikes, correct?

#25 ·
As far as I know its standard equipment on every K1600. While the motherships website says its an extra.. its really not. Every K1600 in the past has had ESA and now with the new models its been upgraded to Dynamic ESA. They dont offer two different suspension systems to my knowledge.

Dont let the website steer you wrong on options. Example.. You wont find a GTL here stateside that doesnt have the Premium Package, all GTL's come loaded. The only exception is the Exclusive models which they discontinued in '16. They had a little larger seat, some extra chrome bits and passenger armrests. The new 719 Optioned K bikes have taken their place with upgraded wheels, leather seat etc..

#27 ·
I’m going to stand up for the OP. I had two 1600GTs that I put a combined 60,000 miles on. On concrete roads with uneven expansion joints I never liked the ride in any mode unless I was loaded with a lot of luggage and/or two up. I don’t feel like it was the suspension per se, I think it was more like a car with run flat tires. Needless to say I was fanatical about running proper tire pressure and tried several different tires.

Fortunately, the bulk of my riding is on asphalt backroads that are in mostly good condition. My FJR, and most other bikes I have had ride better. Even the S1000R I had rode better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.