How do I remove the front wheel? - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 63 Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
So you jack it up using the Fat Jack and then add the smaller jack when you get to the correct height?

Also, do you attach the straps after you have it up?

Seems like it would be a little hairy lifting it with those jacks but I guess if it is balanced like the center stand it would be stable.

Thanks.

The center stand contact points are pretty wide. I'm really not lifting the bike much, more just controlling whether it leans forwards or backwards. Then I snug up the straps.

My last shop, I had the lift sunk in the floor which is so nice. Then I could just put the bike on the center stand and raise the lift. Just a little to scary to do that now, with the lift table up 7".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10475519_262149977325155_7402667711004934075_n.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	132236  
HOGSLYR likes this.

Last edited by coyotek; 09-11-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 09-11-2019, 11:50 AM

One caution regarding front wheel removal and replacement. Be careful with the Left Hand caliper when you remove it!!!

I recently (last week!) removed both wheels for new tires and had trouble getting the left caliper back in place. Twisting and turning took place as I tried to get the pads separated just enough.

When I replaced the wheels I ended up with an ABS warning light that wouldn't go out, and no cruise control. (just before a 5,000km trip!!!)

The front wheels speed sensor wire is tie strapped very tightly to the brake hose, and I must have damaged it. I bought a used ABS sensor from a K1200 (fortunately the same part number) and was able to change it out the day before my trip- worked flawlessly for the trip! I had tried to get a new one first, but the delivery time was AFTER my departure date, and they wanted $225 Canadian for it. I was able to get the used one quickly and it was $100 shipped overnight.

I made sure I didn't tie strap the new line as tightly to the hose and plan to cut the tie strap my next tire change rather than risking it again. I do plan on buying a back up wheel speed sensor, as losing one can certainly screw up how the bike handles (if the connection is intermittent, the bike randomly will drop all power as it thinks the wheel is sliding, very dangerous!)

Anyway, just an FYI and caution!
vistavette likes this.

Cam
2014 K1600 GTL EXCLUSIVE (1st BMW)
CBDane Running lights
Schrodie dual colour emblems
Aeroflow Kit (Wings,Mini wings-GT Tall windshield)
Cal Science Xtra tall 26" windscreen
Dual BMW Communication Helmet Kits
PDM 60
Stebel Air horn (yet to be installed)
USB charger on bars
Issota trunk rack
post #33 of 63 Old 09-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Garage
One gentleman has a video on YouTube showing how to remove the front wheel. He was taking the left side sleeve out which you should not do !!!! I sent him my comments and the video is still on. That is a NO...NO video to show. I am sure many guys did the same thing and had issues with the sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 63 Old 09-11-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
@Gunnert and @coyotek - where are you placing the scissors jack lift points on the bike?

Looks like the center stand would be a good place but it looks like it might need to be balanced a certain way?
I change the rear with the bike on the center stand; plenty of clearance. I place a small block of wood on scissor jack and align/lift from the forward part of oil sump.

If you're removing both at the same time remove the rear first and then the front; reinstall in reverse. I always remove the front fender to remove front tire. I know you can jack up the front end but I don't like doing that when simply removing 4 30 torx bit screws is easy. On bikes with lights, fender extender, etc on the front I take an extra 5 minutes and remove the lights. Just mark align before removal.

Duane
WillH and racer1735 like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels

Last edited by Gunnert; 09-11-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #35 of 63 Old 09-11-2019, 12:30 PM

I never remove the front fender to remove the wheel but I do have a drop down panel in my lift which allows lots of clearance. I agree it'd be better to remove the fender than jack the bike way up though.
WillH likes this.
post #36 of 63 Old 09-11-2019, 02:38 PM

I bought one of the harbor freight lifts. The heads of the lift run horizontal to the bike, I see no way to use this lift without getting into the header pipes. I like that the lift has 2 heads that provide more surface area for jacking up the bike. I don't want the bike to tip or damage the headers. I would appreciate any input from the guys who have experience with this. My last resort is purchasing the pitbull front wheel stand.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-63397.html

Scott
post #37 of 63 Old 09-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Returned the stand to harbor freight, I decided to play it safe and order the pit bull stand. Looks like it will do the trick.
BMWGuy likes this.

Scott
post #38 of 63 Old 09-11-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sslangs View Post
Returned the stand to harbor freight, I decided to play it safe and order the pit bull stand. Looks like it will do the trick.
Good move.
I'm out of salt.

Joe

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
post #39 of 63 Old 09-12-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

I want thank you all for your great advice. I got my wheel off, and back on. The mistake I made was loosening the left side pinch bolt, but as advised, the flange aligned the ABS sensor and all is fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2015 K1600GTL
2017 Triumph Bonneville T120
post #40 of 63 Old 09-12-2019, 01:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistavette View Post
I want thank you all for your great advice. I got my wheel off, and back on. The mistake I made was loosening the left side pinch bolt, but as advised, the flange aligned the ABS sensor and all is fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page