Shinko tires - Page 6 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 Old 10-10-2019, 03:08 AM
Senior Member
 
RefCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 1,609
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
That's pretty weak...

First off, car tires have much larger contact patches. Motorcycle tires only have 2 tiny ones. Those 4 much larger contact patches cover more of the same road surface. What looks like gravel to a Corvette tire will look like large rocks to a motorcycle tire.

Secondly, car tires can afford much larger slip angles and still be stable. In fact, some cars under some conditions actually corner faster with much greater slip angles. On a bike, unless you're extremely talented flat tracker, excessive and/or abrupt slip angles to the average K16 rider = low or high side.

Thirdly, car tires also have much more substantial carcasses with more and heavier belts/plys, necessary because of the much larger weight bearing load. Motorcycle tires are baloon thin in comparison.

Fourthly, those traction test are likely done on smooth track surface. And car tread depth are far thicker than motorcycle cycle tires. Even shaved, those Corvette tires likely are still thicker than a brand new motorcycle tire. Certainly orders of magnitude tougher.

Fifthly, I said higher tire temp - not producing more heat. A worn out tire will still produce heat, which is actually mostly from carcass flex. Problem is that there is much less material there to absorb and transfer that heat, leading to localized hot spots, which can be detrimental to tread stability.

Lastly, if shaved tires are the way to go for better performance, all the motorcycle racers will be running them. They don't. Motorcycle DOT race tires have limited tread grooves because that is the minimum for being DOT legal. If you look at racing slicks, their tread rubber material are as thick as DOT racing tires, which are not far off road (sport or ST) tires.
You were arguing that the tread depth. Now that the supposed benefits of tread depth were shot down, you change your argument. OK.
RefCat is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 58 Old 10-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCat View Post
You were arguing that the tread depth. Now that the supposed benefits of tread depth were shot down, you change your argument. OK.
Again, reading comprehension seems to be in short supply. So apparently is logical deduction and reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Another thing about worn tires is that the less tread material there is, the more problems you introduce:
For most folks, the tread depth is the only visual indicator they have of how much tread material there is on their road tire. But at the end of the day, a worn tire is a worn tire, whether it is a racing slick, DOT race , or road tire. So ultimately, it is the amount of tread material left that matters. You would think that is understood easily enough. Perhaps I should've dialed back on my expectations.

2014 K1600GT Sport
Volfy is online now  
post #53 of 58 Old 10-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Jonnybow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 1,620
Garage
Winter is almost here I see......
flyjets likes this.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Jonnybow is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #54 of 58 Old 10-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 512
Not around here. Prime riding season has just started. Day time highs finally dipped into the 80's this week.

2014 K1600GT Sport
Volfy is online now  
post #55 of 58 Old 10-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Jonnybow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 1,620
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Not around here. Prime riding season has just started. Day time highs finally dipped into the 80's this week.

Is there really a "prime season" for straight, non curvy or hilly roads?

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Jonnybow is online now  
post #56 of 58 Old 10-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Volfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnybow View Post
Is there really a "prime season" for straight, non curvy or hilly roads?
Aww, c'mon now. That's a low blow.

Yeah... that is yet another reason I change out tires so often. Wearing a flat spot down the middle is unfortunately a fact of life down here. Expensive tires would be a waste of money. Still, it's a small price to pay to be rolling on 2. And I do try hard to keep the price small.

That said, there are some good roads to be had a little ways out. I'm heading out to the Hill Country this long weekend. Perfect weather!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smithville.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	133164  
Jonnybow likes this.

2014 K1600GT Sport

Last edited by Volfy; 10-10-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Volfy is online now  
post #57 of 58 Old 10-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northeast area of Sacramento county
Posts: 57
Garage
Shinko: Nice, black rim protectors.

Good judgement comes from experience;
Experience comes from bad judgement.
RBGary is offline  
post #58 of 58 Old 10-12-2019, 12:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Czarcasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 142
This reminds me of pretty much every darkside thread

Dave no function beer well without
Czarcasm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome