TPMS Sensor Question - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Arizona Jim
  • 1 Post By Arizona Jim
  • 2 Post By Quack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-06-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

TPMS Sensor Question

When I purchased my 14 GT this summer the rear TPMS was known bad. It works very seldomly and I figure it has a dead battery. The front works about 98% of the time with an occasional glitch so I assume it's battery may be near its own death.

I purchased two Chi-com sensors on Ali Express figuring it made sense to replace both of them next time I had new tires mounted. (I don't do my own tire mounting. I take the wheels off and have them mounted at a local indy shop that I've used for several years on my other Ks.)

It's my understanding the each TPMS sensor has its own unique ID.

Here are pics of the two ID labels on my two new TPMS sensors.

All of the numbers on these two labels are identical so it looks like they may have the same ID. Is this likely to upset the K1600's "brain?"

Should I:

a) have both replaced and hope everything will work out fine?

or

b) just replace the rear one?

Note: This isn't a big deal to me. I check/top off my tires frequently so TPMS failure isn't a big deal to me other than the annoyance of the warning on the dash.

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT Sport
IBA 17739
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 2 K1100s, WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-06-2019, 02:43 PM

There is no rhyme or reason WRT to how long the battery in the TPMS will last. If the front works, I wouldn't mess with it, I'd just replace the rear.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #3 of 7 Old 11-06-2019, 05:51 PM

Garage
As Duane mentioned who knows why some go bad and others don't. The ones in my 2012 bike were still working when I sold it last year with 92,500 miles and the 2016 bike I bought had 9,800 miles on it and the rear sensor was bad. My brother is coming up on 140,000 on his 2012 and still has his original sensors.

I've got a second rear rim with a sensor in it and when I swap rear wheels the bike "learns" which one is on the bike after 4 miles of riding. Others on this forum have had to "teach" the receivers either with a GS911 or through the dealer. So it's a crap shoot as to how new ones will react with your bike.

FYI I just checked the micro-fische at Max's BMW and both the front and rear TPS sensors have the same part number.
Gunnert and aggieengineer like this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler

Last edited by Arizona Jim; 11-06-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Guess I'll just do the rear one. Thanks for the input.

I do have a GS-911 and also bought one of the $10 TPMS "waker-uppers" from Amazon just in case I need it. Hopefully those will get the new rear sensor working if the bike doesn't automatically recognize it.

Will report back in a few days when I've got the new tires and rear TPMS sensor installed.

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT Sport
IBA 17739
post #5 of 7 Old 11-07-2019, 11:39 AM

Garage
By the way when I swap rear wheels and start the first ride the display for the front tire reading will go dead along with the rear one but within those first 4 miles both will come back so don't fret if the front one acts goofy for a mile or two.
Gunnert likes this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

So after popping my cherry doing my first 12K service I put the rear wheel with new tire and TPMS installed on the bike and played with it some earlier today. I tried all sorts of stuff:

The $10 waker-upper several times - no joy

A couple of things with the GS-911 and, per the GS-911 RDC web page, letting air out for about 10 seconds to get the sensor in "emergency" mode. No joy.

Since it's on the rear and the bike was on the center stand, I started the bike, put it in first gear and spun up the rear wheel hoping that might wake it up. Still no joy.

So then I took the bike out for a little test ride. After a couple of miles still no joy so I gave up. Not sure when it happened but when I looked down again about 10 miles into the ride low and behold the little red tire indicator had gone from red to gray and it worked fine for the next 30 miles of my ride so I think all is well now.

Moral of the story: The best solution to life's problems is to just go riding.
Jonnybow and racer1735 like this.

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT Sport
IBA 17739

Last edited by Quack; Yesterday at 02:47 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

I had same results last weekend with the tps replacement. My guess is the new sensor needs to be transmitting for a longer period to register as new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in