K 1600 alignment - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

K 1600 alignment

My first post !
Just got some interesting info at my dealer while getting my first oil change on my 2 week old 2013 GTL this morning.
Haven't seen it posted anywhere so here goes.
When I picked up the bike I remembered I hadn't asked about the left pull I do have not bad but its there & the techs answer to me was quite surprising. He said ALL the k1600's have it cause the tires on the bike don't track . He said it has something to do with the front suspension (He couldn't or wouldn't give a detailed explanation of what in the suspension caused this or how far its out) and this is what causes pull & uneven tire wear (cupping). All he did say is keep a close eye on your tire pressure.
Haven't been able to verify yet cause its a 2 person job to hold strait edge & measure to the front tire but I am quite surprised that a 26k bike would be made this way
Anyway just thought I would pass the info along
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM

Funny you mention that, mine has a slight pull to the left that I noticed on my trip. I assumed that it was because I had the left bag loaded much heavier than the right bag, had to put quite a bit of pressure on the right peg to track straight. Will have to give it a try with the bike unloaded.
post #3 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Well should have figured it was already in the forum
Did a search & must not have looked far enough in the results
Oh Well
Mod if you want - delete this
post #5 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 04:30 PM

My GTL is the straightest tracking bike I've owned. Goes down the road very straight .

2013 K1600GTL Mineral Silver
post #6 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 04:34 PM

My left pull is not severe but it is certainly annoying. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said all bikes pull - some right, some left. Well this is my first BMW, but I can tell you that exactly none of my previous HDs pulled in any direction.

Dan
2013 K1600GTL - Damask Red Metallic
post #7 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 04:53 PM
ryk

Blueeyedme, I never had a Harley not track straight either. Nor a Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Triumph. In fact, this is the only bike I have ever owned that I couldn't ride free-handed, including numerous dirt bikes.

A couple of years ago, when I took it in for the 600 mile service, I mentioned the pull to the left when I set the cruise and tried to let go of the handlebars. The service tech told me he asked BMW about it and they said "The bike is not meant to be ridden free-handed." I can't really argue with that, but it still bugs me a little.

Old habits die hard. I don't typically ride free-handed, but I've always done it periodically as a sort of maintenance check on the tires, suspension, alignment etc. of all my vehicles, both two and four wheeled. I've just had to accept that I can't do that on this one...

2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
post #8 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 05:08 PM

Wonder if the shaft drive plays any role in how it tracks? I know all chain drive bikes are on the same side, but it is a single sided swing arm with a shaft. Just a thought.
post #9 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 05:26 PM
ryk

My thoughts exactly. The single-sided swingarm probably has some small amount of flex under power. Enough to create a little pull to the left??

2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
post #10 of 100 Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryk View Post
My thoughts exactly. The single-sided swingarm probably has some small amount of flex under power. Enough to create a little pull to the left??
If that were true, all bikes would pull. Many have bikes that don't pull. This theory does not hold water. Besides, alot of BMW bikes have the same drive and they don't pull either. My K1200GT did not pull either. RTs I have ridden didn't pull.

Wildrider
2013 Blue GT
2012 White GT #706
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page