Left Pull Issue Resolution by BMW ANYONE? - Page 8 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 80 Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
My bike always goes to the left when I take my hands off. I've read some change the tires, shim the front end A-arms, put wieght in the right side case, probably some others I just don't remember.
I think the bike has this issue because the engine doesn't sit in the centerline of the bike.
I very respectfully disagree.

If that's the case then why do half of the K1600s not pull at all (see the poll for the results from approximately 400 respondents where 198 respondents say their bikes run perfectly straight while 179 say their bikes pull to the left?)

Are their engines mounted differently than the ones that do pull? Is it conceivably possible that the K1600s are coming off of the assembly line with their engines mounted in their frames differently?

For me this explanation simply isn't logical.

Also, unlike BMW's contention the bike doesn't just pull to the left when you take your hands off of the handlebars.

It's pulling to the left constantly. Period.

You're applying constant counter steering pressure when your hands are on the handlebars to keep it going straight, just like your car would go straight if it was out of alignment and you "kept your hands on the steering wheel" and kept applying counter steering pressure to compensate for the problem. If my car pulls to the left constantly that's unacceptable (whether my hands are on the steering wheel or not.) If my motorcycle pulls constantly to either direction that's equally unacceptable and inexcusable.

Best regards,

Steve
'13 Granite K1600GT aka "Hedwig"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 80 Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrell View Post
I very respectfully disagree.

If that's the case then why do half of the K1600s not pull at all (see the poll for the results from approximately 400 respondents where 198 respondents say their bikes run perfectly straight while 179 say their bikes pull to the left?)

Are their engines mounted differently than the ones that do pull? Is it conceivably possible that the K1600s are coming off of the assembly line with their engines mounted in their frames differently?

For me this explanation simply isn't logical.

Also, unlike BMW's contention the bike doesn't just pull to the left when you take your hands off of the handlebars.

It's pulling to the left constantly. Period.

You're applying constant counter steering pressure when your hands are on the handlebars to keep it going straight, just like your car would go straight if it was out of alignment and you "kept your hands on the steering wheel" and kept applying counter steering pressure to compensate for the problem. If my car pulls to the left constantly that's unacceptable (whether my hands are on the steering wheel or not.) If my motorcycle pulls constantly to either direction that's equally unacceptable and inexcusable.

Best regards,
Why do they not pull to the right ? If it were some sort of adjustment tires or whatever wouldnt some bikes go the other way? I think the bike has the engine so far to the right (almost 3 inches) to compensate for a balance issue that is just on the verge on solving the problem without making the bike look like a Nascar super modified . I believe this problem is inherant in the bikes design and unfortunately we are getting stuck with. Respectfully Dan
post #73 of 80 Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 PM

I replaced the original shocks with Wilbers. That cured the slight pull to the left. There is only speculation as to why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 80 Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 AM

I recall someone here resolved the issue. I believe it had to do with the front end geometry and the root cause was a procedure for how the front wheel was installed. There was also a very detailed description of how one forum member verified a lack of parallelism and alignment of both wheels. Try taking this to the dealer and see if they can verify this issue on your bike. Just a suggestion. Continuing on your current course is also an option. Please let us know how it turns out.

CntrlILGTLowner
post #75 of 80 Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Same left pull problem. Not solved by 15# tool in right saddle bag, not solved by sitting farther to the right in the seat. Was slightly improved with front tire replacement. Not the end of the world but after seven Harleys that none pulled left it is a puzzle. Scared to trade off otherwise perfect bike and possibly get one that has a bad water pump or tranny problem.
post #76 of 80 Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgripe View Post
Same left pull problem. Not solved by 15# tool in right saddle bag, not solved by sitting farther to the right in the seat. Was slightly improved with front tire replacement. Not the end of the world but after seven Harleys that none pulled left it is a puzzle. Scared to trade off otherwise perfect bike and possibly get one that has a bad water pump or tranny problem.
Now that is a VERY good question and one I have no answer for. As was stated above, many forum members have tried valiantly to figure out the issue and correct it to varying degrees of success on their own bikes, but to the best of my knowledge no one method has been proven to work repeatedly.

In my opinion, here's the best question. BMW has some of the best automotive and motorcycle engineers in the world.

Approximately half of their premier motorcycles rolling off the assembly line pull to the left, and half track straight. Instead of just sticking their head in the sand and saying "that's the way they're designed" why in the world don't they just figure the problem out and FIX IT???

Steve
post #77 of 80 Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrell View Post

Approximately half of their premier motorcycles rolling off the assembly line pull to the left, and half track straight. Instead of just sticking their head in the sand and saying "that's the way they're designed" why in the world don't they just figure the problem out and FIX IT???
And that is the exact reason when I needed a new car I skipped BMW and bought a Mercedes.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #78 of 80 Old 04-17-2014, 03:51 PM

Left pull issue

This is one of just a few reasons I traded my K16GTL for a Triumph Trophy SE. Some of them pull enough to constantly physically strain the rider, and I don't think level straight pavement should require that. My Triumph has absolutely dead straight tracking, and no it is not as vibration free as the K was, but it is very, very, close. A few other things contributed as well, but the constant pull to the left, with weight in the right side, sitting off center, etc., never completely eliminating it being the main factor. I still prowl around here for all the good general information that is here regarding all phases of riding, and I value the knowledge BMW riders are always willing to share.

sbt6
Seduced by the 6
K1600GTL Silver
New Braunfels, Tx
post #79 of 80 Old 04-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Well, my bike goes in on Saturday and I am leaving it for the week. 6,600 service, switch clusters and left pull. Earlier today I spoke with the BMW tech who just returned from some training and said the bike should not pull. I also just put the PR4s on so tire wear blah, blah, blah won't be an issue.

Dan
2013 K1600GTL - Damask Red Metallic
post #80 of 80 Old 04-17-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyedme View Post
Well, my bike goes in on Saturday and I am leaving it for the week. 6,600 service, switch clusters and left pull. Earlier today I spoke with the BMW tech who just returned from some training and said the bike should not pull. I also just put the PR4s on so tire wear blah, blah, blah won't be an issue.
Please let us know how it turns out. Here's my bet based on my experience and that of others.....

1. The dealer will verify it pulls left and since there's no fix available they'll file a PUMA (whatever that stands for) with BMW Motorrad asking for help.

2. BMW BMW Motorrad will reply simply "The bike is operating as designed."

3. If you still complain, BMW Motorrad send a BMW service tech out who will ride the bike and he will state "The bike is operating as designed."

I have a VERY good dealer who did all of the above for me. I actually took mine in on three separate occasions for the same issue and now have in writing from the BMW Motorrad tech rep that my bike that pulls hard to the left is "operating as designed."

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page