Dunlop RoadSmart II - Page 14 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 137 Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Interesting observations, Al.

I also rode on new RSII's at VIR (only one day, due to work/life schedule issues). My observations on the RSII's:

Complete confidence on the tires, including when the right footpeg was folding up and the Ilium peg was grinding/lifting the front end a bit in turn 1 (my tire was torn up like Al's all of the way to the edge; I also found a bunch of rubber balls on the inside of the rear rim when cleaning the bike the next day).

The grinding was primarily due to my tail being locked in by a Russell seat and my not getting off to the inside of the turn. Once I started shifting my butt to where the seat wing was between my cheeks (), getting my upper body more turned in, and going to 2-up on the springs, no further clearance issues.

No sense of tire instability when leaned over, despite the weight of the bike. I left the pressures at 42/42 so that I'd have a better sense of what to expect in the normal "street" configuration. Drift initiation was not sudden (a plus in my book), so no unexpected "break-away" events.

The only place where I believe we had a different experience is the "wandering" -- the RSII's seemed a bit more stable than the Z8's to me.

Great meeting and sharing the "back bench" with ya!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 137 Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 PM

One observation on the RoadSmart II rear tire on my GT

I have about 2500 miles on the front and rear and they are holding up good. However, I noticed, for the first time when I was checking the rear tire for any nails, etc. one night that the clearance between the swing arm/drive shaft and the edge of the tire was PRETTY TIGHT. In fact, as I rotated the tire around, it was JUST missing the metal housing by about 1/16 of an inch, maybe 1/8 of an inch. Scared the crap out of me. You couldn't get a finger in between the tire and final drive housing at all.

Next day, was at the dealer checking out other GT/GTLs with other brands (Metzler/Bridgestone) and they were clearing the swingarm by about 1/4 to almost 1/2 inch, depending on the tire. Here you could put your finger between those spaces.

I asked one of the service techs about it and he was surprised at the difference, but he checked for any rubbing of the edge of the tire on my bike and couldn't see any wear on the tire. Same size tire, just different enough from each manufacturer to make a difference.

Just sharing what I saw.
post #133 of 137 Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwolf View Post
II noticed, for the first time when I was checking the rear tire for any nails, etc. one night that the clearance between the swing arm/drive shaft and the edge of the tire was PRETTY TIGHT.
Next day, was at the dealer checking out other GT/GTLs with other brands (Metzler/Bridgestone) and they were clearing the swingarm by about 1/4 to almost 1/2 inch, depending on the tire. Here you could put your finger between those spaces.
Good to share. I'm not surprised, however, because Dunlops had actual interference/rubbing issues with a lot of K12LT swingarms. Seems to be a just the way Dunlop builds its tires. As long as there's no contact, no problem.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 137 Old 06-04-2013, 11:34 PM

A follow-up, which I'm hesitant to post because I have no f***ing clue why:

Today was the first day I had a chance to ride the GTL with nothing in the saddlebags (finished installing the RSII's at 1:30AM Thursday, loaded up the bike and did the miles to the VA/NC border that afternoon).

The bike is running dead straight down the road, unlike with the OE Z8's (a pull to the left that required 15-20 lbs. of tools in the right saddlebag to counter).

Great result , but I'm gonna go nutz trying to figure out why!

Mark
post #135 of 137 Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
A follow-up, which I'm hesitant to post because I have no f***ing clue why:

Today was the first day I had a chance to ride the GTL with nothing in the saddlebags (finished installing the RSII's at 1:30AM Thursday, loaded up the bike and did the miles to the VA/NC border that afternoon).

The bike is running dead straight down the road, unlike with the OE Z8's (a pull to the left that required 15-20 lbs. of tools in the right saddlebag to counter).

Great result , but I'm gonna go nutz trying to figure out why!
man I feel sorry for you!

It'll come to you...outta the blue...at the damndest time.

Mac
2012 BMW K1600 GTL - Luxury Pkg
CD Dane Amber Running Light Conversion
Shroedie BMW Roundel Side Lights
Clearwater Ericas
PDM 60
BMW NAV IV
Wunderlich Engine & Pannier Bars
Wunderlich Oil Cooler Guard
Rear Top Case LED Brake Light
RAM Ball Mount
BMW MOA # 192577

Retired rides: 1990 Suzuki VX800 Twin
1975 Suzuki T 500
post #136 of 137 Old 03-24-2016, 07:34 PM
kkr

Tires

I have a 2014 K1600GTL that I bought new late 2014. Have had for 6 months with 21,000 miles on it already. The stock tires (Dunlop) that came with it were shot at only 6,000 and I replaced them with the Angel GTs. I put around 8,000 miles on these tires, loved them, and bought a second set that is currently on bike with around 7,000 and still looking pretty good. Handles great. Lasts longer. Really happy with them -- When I buy a new set of tires they will once again be the GTs. So, here is what I recommend:
Angel GT Sport Touring "A" spec rear tire: 190/55ZR-17 (cost around $190 at a place like Motorcycle Super Store) Angel GT Sport Touring front tire: 120/70 ZR17 (cost around $127) Front tire does NOT have an "A" spec.
I change both tires at the same time. Unusual for me, because my past touring bikes the front tire lasted three times longer than the rear. Anyway, cost of doing business I guess. {Original Dunlops for this bike sucks, front tire scalloped and back tire flat across center in no time.) Hope this helps!
post #137 of 137 Old 03-24-2016, 07:59 PM

Old thread. Welcome to the forum kkr
The original tires that came with the bike new were Bridgestone or Metzler. Most who have the GTL seem to be using Michelin PR4 as they seem to give the longest tire life.
Those with a GT or GT Sport and ride hard in the twisty's use the Angel or Roadsmart for the grip and don't care how long they last.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page